New 94 530i; What to do next??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 94 530i; What to do next??

Hey guys I just bought myself my first e34 today. It's a 1994 530i with 202k miles 5 speed basically stock with lowering springs no muffler new cat and new brakes. I don't know anything about e34s, I drive an e30 so this is all new to me! Just wondering what engine mods I can do to get the most out of this v8 and what exterior stuff to do to make it look clean!👍🏻 Let me know, thanks!
    Attached Files

First - buy a Bentley service manual for your car. I would also recommend the e34 forum at Bimmerforums and read up there. They have a fairly extensive FAQ to get you started. I haven't owed a V8 e34 - in general both the 8's and 6's are quite solid cars if they've been taken care of. Did you get any maintenance or service history with it? If not, you may have a bit of a gamble on your hands - particularly if you've never done much DIY stuff before. The V8s seem to require a bit more 'care and feeding' than the straight 6's. You may be able to get a chip for a slight boost in power, but mostly better throttle response (at least that was the result of putting one in my Touring).

How does it drive? Shake/shimmy around 50-60mph? If you decide to do any suspension work I would do a complete overhaul front & rear using the best parts you can afford.

Appearance wise I would clay bar it and give it a good detail. e34s love to rust at the bottoms of the doors and behind the rocker moldings (especially near the fender jack points. You have the option to switch to a 'small' grille if you replace the hood/grille panel. If you live in the rust belt, I recommend giving the underside and other nooks and crannies a good dose of Fluid Film to keep the rust at bay.

Other than that, maybe some decent wheels, smoked/clear Hella lights and call it a day. e34s don't respond well to a Pep-Boys makeover. They're above that. :)
    -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
    '95 525iT
    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '98 Disco 1

Comment

it looks like someone already did the 4.0 intake swap, which is nice.
      an engine chip is really the only other engine upgrade, as unfortunately there is really no support or parts for the 3.0 motor.

exhaust is worth upgrading for the sound - these v8s sound amazing when opened up!

after that, the next best value is swapping an entire m60b40 motor, which is a direct fit and will net you 290hp versus the 220 stock hp.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
        it looks like someone already did the 4.0 intake swap, which is nice.
        an engine chip is really the only other engine upgrade, as unfortunately there is really no support or parts for the 3.0 motor.

exhaust is worth upgrading for the sound - these v8s sound amazing when opened up!

after that, the next best value is swapping an entire m60b40 motor, which is a direct fit and will net you 290hp versus the 220 stock hp.
        I had no idea the 4.0 swap was direct fit?! No need to get a new tranny or any of the other shit, just plop it right in?! Definitely on my list!

Comment

you will need to put together a new flywheel/clutch setup to mate it to your existing 5 speed. the stock 3.0 clutch will not handle the extra torque. otherwise, yes a direct fit. its on my list to, just hard to come across an 4.0 m60 around these parts without it being 200,000+ miles already

here's some info on setting the clutch up for a 4.0 m60 with 5 speed (a common setup for e30s with m60 swaps): http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...7&postcount=54
          and the whole thread where that post comes from is here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=223866&page=2
          Last edited by straight6pwr; 11-23-2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X