M30 PS Pump full delete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 PS Pump full delete?

So i'm in the middle of swapping in an M30b35 into my car using FrankM's swap guide and in his guide regarding a power steering delete it says

"You also have the option of deleting the E30 Power Steering altogether. While you must maintain the Pump for the purposes of the belt"

But, unless i'm mistaken the PS belt doesn't service any other ancillaries so surely I could just not put the pump back on and leave the belt off... Or am I missing something

Is there any reason I have to put the PS pump on if i'm doing PS delete?

You don't need the pump to stay on. Remove the belt and the pump, you choose how you want to plug the rack via garagistic or your own rig.

I had PS my first year with the swap, pump died so I just removed it. Now I'm putting a new pump back on. The whole setup (reservoir, pump, brackets, hoses) is 15lbs at most. You aren't saving that much weight. If this is not street driven and track focused I'd say it doesn't matter with or without. If it's more street than track keep the power steering.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
      You don't need the pump to stay on. Remove the belt and the pump, you choose how you want to plug the rack via garagistic or your own rig.

I had PS my first year with the swap, pump died so I just removed it. Now I'm putting a new pump back on. The whole setup (reservoir, pump, brackets, hoses) is 15lbs at most. You aren't saving that much weight. If this is not street driven and track focused I'd say it doesn't matter with or without. If it's more street than track keep the power steering.
      That's what I wanted to hear! I bought a delete block from Condor Speed Shop when I got my shifter so that's sorted. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Simmie View Post
        That's what I wanted to hear! I bought a delete block from Condor Speed Shop when I got my shifter so that's sorted. Cheers
        Also you should do the power steering rack swap while the motor is out if you plan on upgrading. It just makes things easier.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
          Also you should do the power steering rack swap while the motor is out if you plan on upgrading. It just makes things easier.
          Yeah, i've been rebuilding this M30 for the last 6 months. It's (hopefully) going in the car tomorrow. I just mounted an E36 steering rack with the PS delete block back onto the subframe and i've left the PS pump off the car so it's all sorted nice and easy.

Comment

Working...
          X