Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favorite religious or political quote.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Chuchill,s and Jefferson's quotes. They brought good ideas for their times but I wonder if their ideologies would have been the same in the current day. I doubt it.
    My favorite Jefferson quote:
    "Christianity is the most perverted system ever shone on man"
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by herbivor View Post
      I like Chuchill,s and Jefferson's quotes. They brought good ideas for their times but I wonder if their ideologies would have been the same in the current day. I doubt it.
      My favorite Jefferson quote:
      Ummm yes, for the most part yes. The wisdom of the founders is time less and just as valid today as it was 235 years ago as it was 2000+ years ago when the greeks and the Romans pioneered the concept of republican democracy.

You would do well to heed much of what they say, this is why the Constitution is so important even more so now than it was in 1788 when it was fully ratified.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

the full quote "the Christian philosophy, -- the most sublime & benevolent, but most perverted system that ever shone on man"

Vinyl Lettering

Comment

^
          acctually that too is a paraphrased version of the full quote,

those who live by mystery & charlatanerie, fearing you would render them useless by simplifying the Christian philosophy, the most sublime & benevolent, but most perverted system that ever shone on man, endeavored to crush your well earnt, & well deserved fame. - Thomas Jefferson to Joseph Priestley, 1801

On that note here is a good one

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.- Thomas Jefferson

To the corruptions of Christianity I am indeed, opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian, in the only sense in which he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others; ascribing to himself every human excellence; and believing he never claimed any other. - Thomas Jefferson to Benjamin Rush 1803

I must ever believe that religion substantially good which produces an honest life, and we have been authorized by One whom you and I equally respect, to judge of the tree by its fruit. Our particular principles of religion are a subject of accountability to our God alone. I inquire after no man's, and trouble none with mine; nor is it given to us in this life to know whether your or mine, our friends or our foes, are exactly the right. - Thomas Jefferson to Miles King 1814

Jefferson was not a hater of religion, he was no different than many of you, and most people that I know, that he believed in god, and devoutly so. Just not the details that were/are espoused by most preachers. His quotes against religion are largely directed at the clergy, and the fundamentalists of his time that wanted to use the govt as a means to spread Christianity.
          Last edited by mrsleeve; 07-07-2011, 09:14 AM.
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Well yeah the entire quote is a long letter, but herbivor's quote had taken a part out, my was just a part of the letter, nothing removed.
            Just wanted to post the missing part.
            That is a pretty cool letter.

Vinyl Lettering

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
              "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein
              Hell yeah!
              -Erik
              '16 Focus 2.0L - '99 Protegé DX 1.6L POS (Sold) - '87 4runner 22R-E (Sold) - '86 Schwarz S50 (Sold) - '02 WRX Wagon (sold) - '07 Impreza 2.5i (sold) - '91 Alpine M52 (Sold) - '89 Alpine 325is (Sold)

Originally posted by 87e30
              I just want to dance with some beezies

Comment

Originally posted by NKRoberts View Post
                Well yeah the entire quote is a long letter, but herbivor's quote had taken a part out, my was just a part of the letter, nothing removed.
                Just wanted to post the missing part.
                That is a pretty cool letter.
                the founders have been taught in the modern education system k-masters program as godless, racist, elitists serving only their interests. This is just not the case, but to achieve goals of the progressives, we must all be taught this and separated from the true goals and principals of our founders.

Veggie guy is a shining example of this.

William Pitt-

Comment

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and
                  believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
                  For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God,
                  and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved."
                  Romans 10:9-10 (NLT)

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
                  hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
                  And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

"Intellectually, to rest one's case on faith means to concede that reason is on the side of one's enemies-that one has no rational arguments to offer."
                    -Ayn Rand
                    Originally posted by Gruelius
                    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by Someone View Post
                      Reason without faith, and faith without reason, are recipes for ignorance and self destruction of any hope to evolve.

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
                      hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
                      And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        the founders have been taught in the modern education system k-masters program as godless, racist, elitists serving only their interests. This is just not the case, but to achieve goals of the progressives, we must all be taught this and separated from the true goals and principals of our founders.

Veggie guy is a shining example of this.
                        If you think all of the founders had common goals and principals for the country you are dead wrong. They were fighting and bickering through the whole process of developing the constitution and country just as we do today. Jefferson's experience with a tyrant king, a revolution, his diplomacy with France and a new wild country with limitless bounds and potential greatly shaped his libertarian philosophies and rightly so. Does that mean all his ideas should hold true indefinitely? I think not. If they were, we'd still have slavery and would not have a national park system.
                        Please stop assuming the founding fathers all had a common vision in line with your own values. They didn't.
                        sigpic

Comment

If you think all of the founders had common goals and principals for the country you are dead wrong. They were fighting and bickering through the whole process of developing the constitution and country just as we do today. Jefferson's experience with a tyrant king, a revolution, his diplomacy with France and a new wild country with limitless bounds and potential greatly shaped his libertarian philosophies and rightly so. Does that mean all his ideas should hold true indefinitely? I think not. If they were, we'd still have slavery and would not have a national park system.
                          Please stop assuming the founding fathers all had a common vision in line with your own values. They didn't.
                          Gee thanks for clearing that up for me I had no idea that the founders were on the verge of fist fights during the founding of this nation on ideological differences. You really think I was unaware of this fact, surely your not dense are you???? Discourse and vigorous debate are a founding principle.

Next Slavery LOL where do you get this from??? Oh yeah your misunderstanding of the Constitution and 3/5 compromise I am sure. Um yeah Jefferson did own slaves, most were inherited from his father inlaw or just from procreation he bought less than 20 in his life time many of those were to reunite spouses. It was Jefferson that drafted the VA ban on importation of slaves from Africa, it was Jefferson that strongly advocated to ban the spread of the practice into the western territories. Jefferson did not want to upset the status quo with in the fledgling nation as he feared it would lead to a long and bloody civil war between that states, something he wanted to see even less than slavery continue. Which it did in a round about way, and even Honest Abe him self gives all the credit to the founders for the ablation of slavery.

National parks system umm yeah sure, that was TR thing and the only good thing to come from the 1st Progressive president. Too bad the idea of federal land is being abused well beyond the scope of even what TR himself could have imagined.

I will say it one more time the wisdom of the founders transcends time, its based in the study of 1000's of years of history. Its as important NOW as it was then, that the ability of FREE men to rule them selves free from overbearing govt are fundamental in nature and will be the same then as are now and will be in a 1000 years from now. If all the founders were to come back today they would cry in shame as to what we have let their legacy become.

After the 1st constitutional convention Ben Franklin was asked by a woman "what have you given us"

A republic, if you can keep it - Ben Franklin

This is why we have the Constitution to protect us from our own govt, and what we and our forebears have let happen to our govt just shows the founders wisdom and foresight in a even brighter light. Our government now is not that much different than what they fought to break away from in many ways.

The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits. - Thomas Jefferson

I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive. - Thomas Jefferson

One more for fun

To take from one because it is thought that his own industry and that of his father’s has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association—the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it. - Thomas Jefferson

You condemn me because I advocate for less govt, less regulation and because I revere those that founded this nation for their foresight and wisdom and left us all the gift to be free, a gift enjoyed by so few that have ever tread on this earth though out all time. A gift you obliviously do not understand take for granted and feel is out of dated, sadly you and your ilk will prolly get your way in the end. I know this because history teaches us this is how it will be.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson
                          Last edited by mrsleeve; 07-07-2011, 01:17 PM.

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                            "Intellectually, to rest one's case on faith means to concede that reason is on the side of one's enemies-that one has no rational arguments to offer."
                            -Ayn Rand

I'm surprised you quoted her. That's just a hard core truth there.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

“To believe in God is impossible - to not believe in Him is absurd” - Voltaire

Vinyl Lettering

Comment

A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Benjamin Franklin
                                87 325is

Comment

Working...
                                X