Grundy Experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bmwdayz View Post
    Grundy wouldn't accept me because all the cars I own are from the 80's. Even though I have 2 other cars that I don't consider collector cars to drive daily they didn't care and said there to old to be reliable. So I have Hagerty and I guess it's better than no collector car insurance at all for the mean time.
    I found hagerty to be very clear about you having to have a rather new car whereas grundy told me as long as we had reasonably newer than the e30 it was fine.
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Applied with them for my 745i years ago which condition-wise was easily in the top 1 or 2% nicest in the country. They hit me back with some condescending reply along the lines of "A four door BMW is not a collectible vehicle."

Found J.C. Taylor and they happily granted me an agreed value policy at a very reasonable price. If I ever need collector car insurance again Grundy can suck it.
      '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
      '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

So for a daily driver, is an agreed upon price policy your best (only) option?
        Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
          So for a daily driver, is an agreed upon price policy your best (only) option?
          I haven't heard of any insurance company that issues agreed value policies for daily drivers. If you find one, please let me know.

Every places I've checked have strict rules about when you can drive the car and for what purposes. Driving to work is excluded from the acceptable use list.

I personally haven't been able to sign up for an agreed value policy, because the companies I've checked require me to have an additional car for each driver in the house. This is impractical, since my wife and I ride the train to work and share the weekend car.

Just beware of the fine print. Agreed value policies are wonderful if you're able to jump through all the hoops!
          R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
          └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Oh ok. I knew I couldn't get on any classic car insurance policies with driving it daily. I was under the impression you could do agreed upon pricing but I haven't looked into it yet in detail. I guess I'm pretty much screwed on the insurance thing.

I'm just not going to let it sit in the garage all week for insurance sake. I have a really nice commute to work and back every day, why have the car if I can't enjoy it?
            Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Agree with Aleman - definitely read the fine print, especially if you think you have an agreed value policy from any company that does not specialize in collector cars. A phone rep from Liberty Mutual told me they could provide agreed value coverage on my Touring. For some reason, the rep read me the fine print - the max they would pay is the LESSER OF agreed value or FMV. I said, "So, it's not really agreed value," and the rep replied, "yeah, I guess you're right."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

Comment

WOW, what the hell?

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
                  WOW, what the hell?
                  Those are really best understood as stated value policies that CAP liability to keep policy cost down. Inflating it just costs you extra for nothing.

Is there any insurance that will reasonably let me occasionally drive the car to work without a bullshit excuse?
                  2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                  2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                  Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                    Those are really best understood as stated value policies that CAP liability to keep policy cost down. Inflating it just costs you extra for nothing.

Is there any insurance that will reasonably let me occasionally drive the car to work without a bullshit excuse?
                    I do not think so.

Just have a list of bullshit excuses on hand.
                    My previous build (currently E30-less)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Well i can check that off my to do list then. . .

Comment

The "hoops to jump through" with most of the "agreed value" classic car insurance companies include storage in a locked garage, daily driver for each household member (usually not older than 20 years), no commuting, and photos. Motorcycles (even modern ones) don't count as daily drivers, which pissed me off as a frequent rider who enjoys vintage cars!

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                          I do not think so.

Just have a list of bullshit excuses on hand.
                          I do not commit insurance fraud. No way in hell is that worth it, especially not for a small amount of money.
                          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by geovangelist View Post
                            The "hoops to jump through" with most of the "agreed value" classic car insurance companies include storage in a locked garage, daily driver for each household member (usually not older than 20 years), no commuting, and photos. Motorcycles (even modern ones) don't count as daily drivers, which pissed me off as a frequent rider who enjoys vintage cars!
                            As I wait for my E30 to finish its body & paint makeover, I'm struggling with the right way to cover it with insurance. I know I want an agreed-value policy, so I'm seriously considering buying a POS $1,000 beater to make as my primary. As I've mentioned earlier, I mostly ride the train to work or drive the one family car. Forcing me to have 2 dailies is not fair, and I have to get creative. I will then be paying for the agreed-value policy on the E30 AND regular insurance on the beater. Surely there's a better way. I just haven't found it yet.
                            R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                            └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

I do not commit insurance fraud. No way in hell is that worth it, especially not for a small amount of money.
                              This is very much a fine print issue. If the policy expressly excludes to and from work than you will not be covered and will have your claim denied. I would expect a Classic insurer to ASK where you were going, if they don't, then you've done nothing wrong.

Fraud requires intent. Being silly and driving to work probably doesn't rise to jump that bar.
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

When I first insured my cabrio and E12 with Hagerty, I told them I wanted to drive each car to work approx 10 times a year. They said that was ok.

After a couple of months I called them back and told them I wanted to drive the cars more often. They asked how often and I told them approx 20-25 times per year each. They told me that was ok also and noted it in my file.

I do keep them both under the 2k miles per year limit, and have not had to make a claim.

Cory
                                1992 325i Cabrio
                                1988 320i Touring
                                2000 M5
                                1977 530i
                                2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                                BMWCCA
                                E30CCA

Comment

Working...
                                X