18 or 20 Gauge for patch panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18 or 20 Gauge for patch panels?

Searched through a few resto threads and have heard varying answers. Need to patch some areas of the floor, along with an area along the trunk weatherstripping.

Don't have a caliper handy to measure panel thickness. The floor shouldn't matter but what gauge are the body panels?

Thanks!
    Previous Cars:

89 325i M-Tech II
    00 323i
    89 535i
    89 325i Vert

Current:

01 Hellrot 330ci
    91 Alpine 318i Build Thread
    01 Jeep Cherokee (Winter Beater)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the floor and body itself is made from 0,8mm so 22 gauge. You obviously can use 1mm too to make patch panels out of
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
      Correct me if I'm wrong but the floor and body itself is made from 0,8mm so 22 gauge. You obviously can use 1mm too to make patch panels out of
      Ahh cool thanks! Going to grab a set of calipers anyway and measure the thickness exactly. I'll post my findings!
      Previous Cars:

89 325i M-Tech II
      00 323i
      89 535i
      89 325i Vert

Current:

01 Hellrot 330ci
      91 Alpine 318i Build Thread
      01 Jeep Cherokee (Winter Beater)

Comment

Whatever thickness you are replacing, that's what you use. I don't recall exactly why, but basically has to do with heat when welding it in, and also if you have to form it, thicker metal may form differently, especially in tight bends.

Comment

I used 20ga from Eastwood. Being new to welding, those Aluminized panels need to be real clean before welding them in. Took me awhile to figure that out! To say I welded replacement panels into my floor is a bit of a stretch, I installed patch panels with a welder! I learned a lot along the way...

Add some POR 15 and seam sealer and we're good.
          2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
          X