Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loud intermittent ticking ... It's back! Now with more videos and photos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the risk of jinxing myself, this may have resolved itself. I posted about it here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...&postcount=478

Hi. My name is Mike and my M42 has been tick free for 6 days and 350 miles.

I took the car to RRT earlier in the week and gave them the list of what I've done, photos, videos, and other information. After looking at the car they called me back to the garage. The car was totally silent. No ticking. It's like my kids: angels at school, but not always the best behaved at home.

So Alex, JW, and I chatted for a bit and they sent me on my way. That was 6 days and 350 miles ago. The car has not ticked since then. The car went from ticking on a regular basis to not ticking at all. I have some theories:
    - RRT fixed something in ~15 minutes that was glaringly obvious and didn't want to tell me because I'd feel like a moron.
    - The thinner Rotella T6 5W40 cleaned out the oil passages and removed varnish from an offending lifter. It just took a few hundred miles to do it's work.
    - The Lifter Additive, which was only run for 500 miles with the Mobil 1 15W50, may have continued to work it's way through the system after draining the M1 and filling the T6.

As of right now the engine sounds like the regular old M42 sewing machine and that makes me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
      At the risk of jinxing myself, this may have resolved itself. I posted about it here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...&postcount=478

Hi. My name is Mike and my M42 has been tick free for 6 days and 350 miles.

I took the car to RRT earlier in the week and gave them the list of what I've done, photos, videos, and other information. After looking at the car they called me back to the garage. The car was totally silent. No ticking. It's like my kids: angels at school, but not always the best behaved at home.

So Alex, JW, and I chatted for a bit and they sent me on my way. That was 6 days and 350 miles ago. The car has not ticked since then. The car went from ticking on a regular basis to not ticking at all. I have some theories:

- RRT fixed something in ~15 minutes that was glaringly obvious and didn't want to tell me because I'd feel like a moron.

- The thinner Rotella T6 5W40 cleaned out the oil passages and removed varnish from an offending lifter. It just took a few hundred miles to do it's work.

- The Lifter Additive, which was only run for 500 miles with the Mobil 1 15W50, may have continued to work it's way through the system after draining the M1 and filling the T6.

As of right now the engine sounds like the regular old M42 sewing machine and that makes me happy.

A win is a win...nice work!

Ezekiel 25:17
      Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
      The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
      The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
      The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

Did you ever find out if RRT did something? I have the same problem, gonna try to liqui-moly stuff and the thinner oil first, but I'd like to know if there was something glaringly obvious haha

1991 318is ---230K - DD
        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post

Did you ever find out if RRT did something? I have the same problem, gonna try to liqui-moly stuff and the thinner oil first, but I'd like to know if there was something glaringly obvious haha
          I was back there recently for an HPDE inspection and alignment. Jokingly I asked, but they said they didn't do anything. I'm guessing it's the thinner oil. Someone else messaged me recently and said they had the same issue, switched to Rotella T6 5w40 and the tick completely went away.

Comment

late bump but for future reference mine starts to do it as it warms up outside. late spring/summer. i live in florida. i usually run some marvel mystery oil and drive spirited for a few miles and oil change to thicker oil. usually fixes it but itll randomly do it occasionally for a few seconds after startup. i run rotella T6 year round for the most part. other than that mobil 10w40 or 15w40 when it gets really hot out around july/august.
            DENY IGNORANCE!
            Schwarz 325-totaled
            brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
            don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Mine continues to be tick-free after 2 oil change intervals on T6. Also, I had a Blackstone UOA performed with great results: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...07#post9904307

Comment

Working...
              X