m42 bottom end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m42 bottom end

i dropped off my m42 block at the shop but its taking a while to get news back on an estimate and a completion date since they are pretty busy. i already have a rebuilt m42 head so i just need the bottom end in decent condition to mate it too.

i can drive a reasonable distance within san fernando valley area in southern california.

i don't see as many m42's on craigslist for a price i am willing to pay, not sure if it's just because it's rare or uncommon.

hell, i'd even consider an m50 swap if the price is right.

let me know. thanks in advance.

Look for a block from a 1994/1995 M42 since they had updated timing chain components.

Whats wrong with your block?

Comment

they're not rare.

or you could go to a pick your part yard. a early 318ti should work or 318i/s
      91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
      Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
      E30 can make you, E30 can break you
      "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

oh yeah, i didn't think about that.

i just bought a late m42 e36 lower timing case that i was planning to swap over.

it's been at the shop for a few weeks. i'm waiting for them to get back to me with an estimate on costs. last i heard from them they tore it down and inspected it and said due to high mileage it needs a rebore and new pistons and rings. they will recondition the rods, replace rod/cap bolts, bearings, re-deck and re-surface and deep clean. i'm just waiting for them to get back to me with a timeline and overall cost to commit to the work. i'm hoping it's not way too out of my budget.

Comment

If they don't touch your timing parts it shouldn't be to expensive.
          91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

yeah i told the shop i am doing the timing swap, but the labor cost and the new pistons/rings is what's making me nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by JonsE30 View Post
              yeah i told the shop i am doing the timing swap, but the labor cost and the new pistons/rings is what's making me nervous.
              a bunch of cars came with those pistons and rings, if they have to oversize. It might be time for a different block to go for a bit till that blows. you already have a good head though, why waist it on a crap motor.
              91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

yeah, i've never tried a pick your part place. i'll see what ones in my area has. that might hold me off while the my block is being worked on if i agree to the quote.

Comment

2 weekends from now LKQ pick your part (there all around LA) has a 40% sale. a full motor should cost you about 250$ bottom end even less
                  91' 318is 90' 325is

Comment

I recently purchased a complete 95 m42 motor for $400 with 100k miles. Look on the e36 pages for guys swapping their 318's and you can find a motor cheap.

Comment

unfortunately, I am in NY, but have a whole m42 drivetrain I'd sell cheap if you want to crate it
                      1991 318is
                      2004 330ci
                      2011 335d

Comment

@dmanb2b what would something like that cost?

Comment

Originally posted by JonsE30 View Post
                          @dmanb2b what would something like that cost?
                          I'd let the whole motor go for $150. Honestly think Fastenal may be cheapest option, but I can't ask shop to handle pick-up...maybe uship? :<(
                          1991 318is
                          2004 330ci
                          2011 335d

Comment

Working...
                          X