This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Radio Model #'s & Years Offered

I'd like to sticky this thread for future reference.

Can anyone fill in the blanks and add model numbers to these E30 (I think) radios? I'm looking to get my hands on a factory radio for my '90 325is, but I'm not sure which model is correct for that year.

If you have any more to add to this list, or any of these don't apply to the E30, please correct me as needed. I'll adjust this 1st post based on your feedback.

Radio #1 - CM5905 / CM5907 - I think this is for the diving board bumper E30's (1984-87). There seems to be strong agreement that this is the radio most commonly installed in the '84-'87 models.

Common on E30 models, built by Alpine Electronics
    CM5907 had weather band [AM/FM button is 'BAND' on the CM5907]
    Single knob (for volume), Sliders for treble and bass
    Two rows of five buttons
    Two speaker outputs, left and right, used with fader control on dash
    Premium system had the fader feed the rear amplifier
    Yellow and white power pigtail w/ 2 pin Molex connector, others plug in

CM5907

Radio #2 - CM5908 - Lots of agreement that this one was available on the late model E30's (1988-1993).
    CM5908 Alpine w/ infrared slot, 89-93 E30
    Four speaker outputs, no fader control on dash.
    Yellow and white power pigtail w/ 2 pin Molex connector
    White/brown and Blue/brown second pigtail.
    Cable 1-388-934 converts rear speaker outputs to 8 pin fader control connector
    CD changer control with 13 pin round DIN socket in rear
    CD control socket has 3x4 array, plus 1 opposite key
    Works with TR1000, TR1600 and TR1008 (6, 6 and 12 disc) changers
    BMW-specific data cable, NLA

Radio #3 - Model KE-83ZBM (Pioneer). Has been seen in a few late model E30's.

Radio #4 - Model CM5804 - Early E30's, maybe late E21 also.
    Early E30 radio built by Alpine Electronics
    AM/FM/Cassette, Dolby, no weather band or anti-theft
    Bass and Treble sliders under volume knob on the left
    Center cassette door over the display.
    Mechanical FF and rewind buttons to left of door
    One row of 5 preset buttons under the display
    Function buttons, including Dolby button, on the right.
    Yellow and white power pigtail w/ 2 pin Molex connector, antenna pigtail

Radio #5 - There was a guy selling this one on BF a couple years ago as a U.K.-spec, E30 Blaupunkt,with the RDS feature.(displays radio station call letters and name of song/artist)

Radio #6 - KE-81ZBM02 (Pioneer) E30 Premium radio from 1987
    Last edited by Aleman; 02-16-2014, 10:44 AM.
    R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
    └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

#2 is my favorite one from stock radios. It is the most modern looking but still vintage. Had one in my very first E30
    My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

Originally posted by MrSlacker View Post
      #2 is my favorite one from stock radios. It is the most modern looking but still vintage. Had one in my very first E30
      Cool! What year was your 1st E30? Is that lower right slider touch sensitive, like an early iPod control?

Comment

It was in an 91 318is. Whatever radio you get, it will all be "correct" so just get what you like. The slider is touch sensitive and it was blown away when I realized it lol

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
        My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

Radio #1 is a CM5905, they also had a CM5907 (same exact radio, but instead of the "AM/FM" button on the CM5905 the CM5907 had a "Band" button which added weather band function.

#2 btw is for E30s that did NOT have a fader function on the dash. Which would be the newer E30 (not sure of the year range)
          Last edited by IS300E30; 02-14-2014, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IS300E30 View Post
            Radio #1 is a CM5905, they also had a CM5907 (same exact radio, but instead of the "AM/FM" button on the CM5905 the CM5907 had a "Band" button which added weather band function.

#2 btw is for E30s that did NOT have a fader function on the dash. Which would be the newer E30 (not sure of the year range)
            #2 is the radio my 10/87 build M3 has, and it HAS the fader in the dash, and premium sound

#1 is the radio my 04/92 cabby had in it, with no fader in the dash, and premium sound.

There is also a cartridge cd player, made by Blaupunkt for BMW, that was a stupid rare euro option, that was available in the late years of production.
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

I did tons of dealer work, swapping out radios in M3s on down back when these were new...but my memory of them is fairly clear. I did literally hundreds of E30s, so its a bit of a blur anyway, but I don't think that "slider" came out until late '90. CD changer ports came out before the slider by at least 2 years and were in some E34s as early as 1988.

Todd, I am convinced your car did not come from Germany with that deck. Believe it or not, stock BMW decks were stolen in those days, that may be the story on that...but I really do think it is a later deck.

There were two slider decks and most were also CD changer controllers. Its rare to see a slider deck that does not have a changer port. AFAIK, both MBus Pioneer and Alpine were used over the various years, there were not less than 3 different changer ports.

I wish I had a recording back in those days: "Yes, Ma'am. I know it seems wrong, but put the CD in upside down or it won't work"...LOL.

If you guys are listing the stock decks, you should also list the changers, magazines and cables. There are a few adapters too, like the factory fader bypass harness.

Having all the part numbers, date ranges and weird euro options in one thread would be great. I will help where I can and if I ever get to unpack our storage, I can provide lots of part numbers. I have almost a dozen of those "slider" decks (don't even ask. I am saving for a special rebuild at some point) and a few CD changers, but no cables at all.

LMK if I can help

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

#3 is what is currently in my car now (soon to be swapped out!). I'm pretty sure it's from a later model e30, as I have seen several other e30s with it. It seems to be a less common model than #1 and #2. I also have the CD changer cable which was included with the radio when I purchased it.

For reference, my car is an '87 w/ Premium Sound, and #1 was originally installed in it.
                -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                '95 525iT
                '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                '98 Disco 1

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                  I did tons of dealer work, swapping out radios in M3s on down back when these were new...but my memory of them is fairly clear. I did literally hundreds of E30s, so its a bit of a blur anyway, but I don't think that "slider" came out until late '90. CD changer ports came out before the slider by at least 2 years and were in some E34s as early as 1988.

Todd, I am convinced your car did not come from Germany with that deck. Believe it or not, stock BMW decks were stolen in those days, that may be the story on that...but I really do think it is a later deck.

There were two slider decks and most were also CD changer controllers. Its rare to see a slider deck that does not have a changer port. AFAIK, both MBus Pioneer and Alpine were used over the various years, there were not less than 3 different changer ports.

I wish I had a recording back in those days: "Yes, Ma'am. I know it seems wrong, but put the CD in upside down or it won't work"...LOL.

If you guys are listing the stock decks, you should also list the changers, magazines and cables. There are a few adapters too, like the factory fader bypass harness.

Having all the part numbers, date ranges and weird euro options in one thread would be great. I will help where I can and if I ever get to unpack our storage, I can provide lots of part numbers. I have almost a dozen of those "slider" decks (don't even ask. I am saving for a special rebuild at some point) and a few CD changers, but no cables at all.

LMK if I can help

Luke

I would not at all be surprised if it was swapped out at some point. My car was a real piece when I picked it up.

Here are a couple pics of my cartridge cd deck. Very late model, with e36 style plug, but shows up under e30 on realoem

Originally posted by codyep3
                  I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                  2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                  1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                  1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                  2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                  2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                  2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                  2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                  2010 F650gs twin
                  2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                    I would not at all be surprised if it was swapped out at some point. My car was a real piece when I picked it up.

Here are a couple pics of my cartridge cd deck. Very late model, with e36 style plug, but shows up under e30 on realoem
                    I found this thread that lists many of the optional radios offered on Euro BMW's in the 80's. The Bavaria is there among many others.
                    Further to the article in the May club magazine on 80s in-car entertainment (ICE) systems, here is are...

That thread doesn't show the Nashville, which I just saw listed on eBay. Cool thing about this head unit is that it has a mini-jack input on the front.

Comment

An eBay seller said this about Radio #3 Model KE-83ZBM (Pioneer):

A very nice used and tested BMW cassette player. BMW model Pioneer KE-83ZBM. Functions include: cassette, auto reverse, scan, AM/FM/WB. Will fit other E34 and E32 models. This can be used on the E30/E28/E24 with some modifications to your wiring. This is a 4-channel output radio, while the E30/E28/E24 used a 2-channel for the most part. This unit is designed to be used with a factory amp. A rare find.

Comment

theres another:

KE81 KE-81-ZBM02
                        came stock in my 1987 325is (premium radio) with a fader on the dash.

ill never forget tapping the left switch up and down for cassette control and bumping the B all the way over for max crappy bass.

Comment

Number 2 came in my 91 318is and is still in there.

Comment

Great thread. +1 for sticky.
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
                              theres another:

KE81 KE-81-ZBM02
                              came stock in my 1987 325is (premium radio) with a fader on the dash.

ill never forget tapping the left switch up and down for cassette control and bumping the B all the way over for max crappy bass.
                              hmmm. my 87 325is with premium came with the #2 headunit and fader......

can anybody tell me where i could get a wiring harness? I want to hook the old one back up.

sent from 1987 via e30
                              (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Working...
                              X