No announcement yet.

ForcedFirebird's m20 dyno thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same car as post #3 and #23, but added a lightened/balanced/blueprinted 2.8 rotating assembly (has heavy 130mm m20 rods at 550gms), 2mm shaved block, 9.5:1 compression. We played with the runner lengths on the ITB's and got a ma peak of 217/202, but it was so peaky. This was the settled tune and runner length (most area under the curve).

Click image for larger version

Name:	28itbm20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	7196985

Overlay from when we met the car to current status. Trying to talk him into a larger cam. Even though the compression is 9.5:1, the RHD ITB's are great at cylinder filling and believe a larger cam would help this one out...

Name:	28itbm20 before and after.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	7196986
    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 05-27-2018, 07:49 PM.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      Updated post #2

Sorry, missed your post until editing post 2. If you notice, they are kinda in an order from stock-ish to built, so bear with me. I have not had a local 3.x built m20 to put on the dyno yet. Have a budget stroker using the eta crank/rods, -2mm block, B&B to .1gm, stock-ish head with just my flow tested valve job, and 272 cam that will be coming back for the tune once it's broken in a bit, but logistics has been keeping it delayed as he is over a half day drive from the shop. I also lost in the neighborhood of 20 cars when the dyno pc tower crashed - the same reason I now cloud them shortly after. :/

Interested to see what that puts down!

Comment

updates!?
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          Interested to see what that puts down!

Building another one now that will surely go to the dyno as it's getting installed in the race car and will need plots for HP/WT ratio for classing.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          updates!?

None lately. Have an s50 rebuild in the works, and it's racing season so we will be going to the rollers soon.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

John clear your inbox :)
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
              John clear your inbox :)

Email is valid in signature. Barely sit at PC anymore, even cell phone sits in office. This is racing season in FL....
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Did two "budget stroker" 2.7's today on the dynojet. Will post results and anecdotes later, but 2.7 crank/rods with b25 pistons and milled deck is super viable, even with the reduction in cam timing.

2 examples today. One made at the wheels: 180hp/179tq and the other did 168hp/172tq

Stock used blocks/pistons, fresh rings/bearings, a bbtb, headers, and even aftermarket ECU was involved. Lol
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

Wow those numbers are fantastic for a 2.7 stroker. That's promising data for anyone thinking about going that route.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                    Wow those numbers are fantastic for a 2.7 stroker. That's promising data for anyone thinking about going that route.
                    These are NOT 2.7 short blocks with a 885 heads. They are 81mm cranks, 130mm rods, stock b25 pistons and machine the block deck to get compression height back. We took .080" off these blocks, but beware of squish. Both engines got shaved heads, one was too close at .035" piston to head clearance. To be safe without measuring, I would suggest taking .070-.075" if you want to use an off the shelf head gasket.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Did these both have stock cams and non-adjustable cam gears?

Comment

Ahh thanks for the clarification. I must have missed that if you mentioned it before. Still good power output.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

have you seen any power from retarding the cam seeing as allot of people resurfaced/shaved heads but with no adjustable gear.

Comment

Originally posted by redlightpete View Post
                            Did these both have stock cams and non-adjustable cam gears?
                            Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                            have you seen any power from retarding the cam seeing as allot of people resurfaced/shaved heads but with no adjustable gear.

Honestly I have not done much with the adjustable gears on the dyno.

Here's the graphs from Sat.

81mm crank, 130mm rods, b25 pistons, .080" (2.03mm) off the deck, stock cam (and cam gear), in house rebuilt head, .035 quench, bored throttle body, extrude manifold, eBay headers, single 2.5" exhaust through 2 mufflers. MS1 with a smooth elbow pipe, cone filter.

Name:	Gerson dyno.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	7200583

81mm crank, 130mm rods, b25 pistons, .080" (2.03mm) off the deck, IE 272 cam (stock cam gear), in house rebuilt head, .050" quench, stock intake/TB, stock exhaust manifolds, single 2.5" exhaust with a single resonator. Stock ECU re-mapped at the dyno.

I believe this car "should" have made more power, was actually a little disappointed. Later after watching a video sent by a friend, I can hear a lot of diff noise that was impossible for me to hear in the car while tuning (one car bay with a dyno in it). Doubt we will bring it back to the dyno, just rebuild the diff and send it racing.

Name:	22 endurance car.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	7200584
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

Could the extruded intake have made that much difference and if I may ask what that costs ?
                              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                              Alice the Time Capsule
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

It's amazing that both graphs are basically identical upto 5000rpm.

So the first has
                                - standalone ecu
                                - header
                                - exrtrude hone
                                - bbtb and fine style inlet
                                - tighter squish clearance

But the second has a IE 272, is it regrind or Schrick knock off ?
                                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                                X