Thoughts on General G-Max RS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on General G-Max RS?

I need some new tires for my 16x8 wheels. Plan is to get something 225-50/16, and these General G-Max RS are on sale at tire rack for $286 for a set of 4. They have a treadwear of 360, Traction of AA, and Temp of A. The only UHP Summer tires I've had are Yokohama S.Drive, which were pretty good, but are $150 more pert set.

Based on the price alone I want to try them. Does anyone have any experience with them or have a better suggestion?
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Due to the overwhelming positive feedback, I got them. I'll let you know what I think of them in a few months. Gotta swap the 5-lug suspension on the car, get the m30b35 back from the machinist, build the engine, and toss it in the car.

Or maybe I'll put them on the other car using adapters. who knows?
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

Wont those be too tall at 24.9" and 8.9" wide?
      sigpic
      1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
      I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Originally posted by itsonlygeorge View Post
        Wont those be too tall at 24.9" and 8.9" wide?
        Possibly. But I plan to do a combination of rolled fenders and stacked spring pads to make it work.
        sigpic

Comment

How did they work out, I have used other versions of Generals and they were not bad tires. I do agree though your tire size is too talk should be 45 series.
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Now that winter is nearly here, how did these work out?

Comment

Well it took forever to get the tires on and the car driving (had to swap the 5-lug stuff on, roll the fenders, and replace the engine).

First of all, these tires are fucking awesome. I went for a drive with some friends on a road I didn't know and ended up taking some curves way faster than I should have and took some shitty lines. I fully expected to slide off the road, but these tires held and definitely corrected for my bad driving.

Now the downside, these tires are too fucking big. They look cool being so meaty, but just don't fit. I rolled/pulled the rear fenders as much as possible, but with the wheel offset (16x8 et23) and corrected camber to get more contact patch, I have to stack pads in the back and it still rubs. When I turn the front to full lock, it rubs against the rear of the wheel well and against the inner frame rail (I'll get pics eventually). At this point a ton of the undercoating has been rubbed off.

So the annoying part, General doesn't make this tire in 16" with an aspect ratio allowing less than 24.9" diameter (205-55 or 225-50).

So these would be great if they fit, but they just don't fit.
              sigpic

Comment

I bought a set of these for my Subaru Legacy for fun. I did an autox event in that car (completely stock) and never felt they'd lose traction. Now they may be overkill for my 167hp AWD midsize car but they were cheap and had good reviews!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                X