Castrol GTX ok for these old engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe its relatively new.

They sell it on amazon I believe, but through my wholesaler, I get it for 20 a gal, which isn't bad.

Still trying to find out the ZDDP numbers..
    Originally posted by wholepailofwater
    Q
    :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      If you don't mind full synthetic, Walmart usually has Mobil 1 15w50 for about $26/5qt.
      Yeah. M1 15w50 is so cheap at Wal-Mart that it’s hard to even consider anything else. And the engine internals stay really, really, really clean with M1.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
        I believe its relatively new.

They sell it on amazon I believe, but through my wholesaler, I get it for 20 a gal, which isn't bad.

Still trying to find out the ZDDP numbers..

Not sure on the 20w50, but the 10w60 has enough (900-1150ppm) - but - is also about $50 for 5 ltr.

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
        Yeah. M1 15w50 is so cheap at Wal-Mart that it’s hard to even consider anything else. And the engine internals stay really, really, really clean with M1.

Sure does, but it was breaking down on us during summer races. Oil pressure went from 6-9psi after a race to 16psi by switching to the LM.

Mobil actually used an e30 to do their million mile test...

Mobil1 tests synthetics on a BMW e30 325i through a rough one million miles. Mobil drives the important point that synthetics oil and gas additives preserve ...
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Ouch, $40 for 5L, (FCP euro price, maybe a sale) about twice the price of the M1 15W50 I'm running.
          Last edited by varg; 07-09-2019, 03:58 PM.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

I use Walmart SuperTech 20W50 in the summer and 10W40 in the winter. They are about $12/gallon. I can definitely tell you that the M20 loves the 20W50. It is super quiet. I wish I could use that oil year round, but it is too thick when the temp drops below 20F.

Comment

I'm using a 10w-40 these days. Much better for colder starts and my oil doesn't get hot enough to warrant anything thicker
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Seems like we’ve got some of the really knowledgeable heavy hitters in this thread so I thought I’d get some feedback. I heard 20W-50 Valvoline VR1 is a pretty excellent choice for these engines. I’ve got a fully rebuild engine that’s been broken in and is about to see boost. Is this oil a good choice for mostly warm weather mixed street/track use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Build Thread

Comment

Doubt you'd have any issues, says race oil (some of which arent good for the street) but marketing also says ok for street so....
                  Last edited by digger; 07-11-2019, 08:13 PM.
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

There is no point of using expensive racing oil for street use. It is a waste of money. But if you race on the weekend and drive to work during the week then you would have no choice but to use racing oil in your car.

Comment

The VR1 is actually pretty affordable at about $35 for a case of 6 quarts off Amazon. If the biggest problem is that it might be more expensive than I need, that works for me.
                      Build Thread

Comment

VR1 is definitely a go-to.
                        Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                        Q
                        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Thing is, with a reasonably frequent oil change interval, a healthy engine and street driving you're highly unlikely to ever push the capabilities of even cheap conventionals that have the proper rating and viscosity. The engine itself really isn't demanding of the oil at all for reasons previously discussed. Good enough will be good enough. Heavily modified cars or cars that see track use are really where the oil choices will make more difference, for instance with a turbo car you're more likely to overheat the oil since it's doing extra cooling duty flowing through the turbo and running richer under boost you'll fill it up with soot a lot faster so it will go black sooner.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

Valvoline 15W-40 diesel oil from Tractor Supply (in a blue bottle). $14.00 a gallon. No cam failures since I started using it.

Comment

Working...
                            X