Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    ^

Kinda how they all took and ran with the Buzzfeed headline, that Muller had to open his staunchly sealed yap to contradict and defend the POTUS over....
    Different consequences, but, yes, the sad, similar part is that you see all these other places piggy-backing on that report without doing any real investigation of their own!

I'm no defender of the President, but we've seen that a lot with the Russia-gate stories, and we just generally see it more & more as it is easier and cheaper to do; more profitable. 'Bombshells' (and sensationalism) sells more ads.

Who here has 'Bombshell' fatigue? I do. I'm very skeptical when I see that word these days.
    1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

Does anyone here have news-sources they trust? What are they? What do you read/watch?

Does the f'd up political climate & state of rapid-headline news just want to make you tune out?

Comment

^

Well the way I see that particular situation, is the media in general took a "who cares if its true" mentality. They get to run the headlines, in all the prime time slots and prime web locations for a few hours, and the bulk of the country will see it. Damage done, that will be the narrative for a long long time in the public space. As Muller coming out of the wood work to counter that "Fake News" head line, will be a "page 6 Story" by most media outlets, and the retractions will come in at an odd hours at the very tail end of broadcasts where most people have tuned into the Bachelor, or Dancing with Nancy or some other stupid reality show, or at the very bottom of the web page with all the puff pieces on Food and relationship advice.

So yeah I guess I have had enough of Bombshells myself, Especially poorly researched rushed to press hit pieces that have 0 credibility.

WSJ used to be one of the better source and still is, but even they have gone down hill in the last few years, to the point I let my subscription go in 2016
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

^

Well the way I see that particular situation, is the media in general took a "who cares if its true" mentality. They get to run the headlines, in all the prime time slots and prime web locations for a few hours, and the bulk of the country will see it. Damage done, that will be the narrative for a long long time in the public space. As Muller coming out of the wood work to counter that "Fake News" head line, will be a "page 6 Story" by most media outlets, and the retractions will come in at an odd hours at the very tail end of broadcasts where most people have tuned into the Bachelor, or Dancing with Nancy or some other stupid reality show, or at the very bottom of the web page with all the puff pieces on Food and relationship advice.

So yeah I guess I have had enough of Bombshells myself, Especially poorly researched rushed to press hit pieces that have 0 credibility.

WSJ used to be one of the better source and still is, but even they have gone down hill in the last few years, to the point I let my subscription go in 2016
          +1234 That's the thing, isn't it. "Who cares if it is true" - the excuse here usually is "Well, we're just the News reporting on the News." You get this echo-chamber mess. Two other things especially bother me:

1) (Almost) no one publicly retracts or corrects their story anymore when proven untrue or mischaracterized. They just let it slide.

2) There's usually zero disclosure with corporate/political connections on certain stories or opinion pieces. Vested interests are specifically hidden from the viewer/reader.

Comment

Progress Report: President Trump's Campaign Promises, 2 Years Later

At the midpoint of his four-year term, President Trump has delivered on some campaign promises and ignored others, while many are still works in progress.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

The 2016 primary really shook me in who I trusted, blew my mind really. Whether it was Traditional sources/papers so visibly slanting toward the Establishment or how they sensationalized Trump (and still do) for clicks. It is so disturbing/upsetting. I lost faith in everyone in 2016.

Right now I still listen to a fair bit of NPR, "Marketplace" is my favorite show as my focus is usually heavily on economics. Politically speaking, I do like the Intercept as they are not only highly critical of the President but equally critical of the Establishment Left and Right.

Comment

^^ Speaking of this exact subject, great post by The Intercept today: Beyond BuzzFeed: The 10 Worst, Most Embarrassing U.S. Media Failures on the Trump/Russia Story

I respect them because they are holding everyone's feet to the fire, right and left in our manic news-cycle. Glenn Greenwald (writing here) was the journalist that originally broke Edward Snowden's story, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by phillipj View Post
                  Does anyone here have news-sources they trust? What are they? What do you read/watch?

Does the f'd up political climate & state of rapid-headline news just want to make you tune out?
                  I don't 100% trust any news source. You have to read multiple sources, on both sides, and the truth will be somewhere there in the middle.

There is no such thing as "objective" news. As even keeled as the reporter, or organization they work for may be, it's still up to the reporter/editor on what story they cover, who they interview, what quotes they use and if they explain the context of the interview/conversation.

The current news cycle does sometimes want to make me tune out, but more than that, it makes me want to read as many sources as I can to try to develop a balanced view. On an average day I probably read 50-70 news articles on various local, national, and international news.

NYT, Washington Post (and Times), LA Times, BBC, NPR, Huff Post, etc. Of course when it comes to local news, there aren't as many options. But it's easy to see the evangelicals continue to ruin my home state.

I really wish everyone on both sides would seek out differing opinions vs surrounding themselves in an echo chamber.

That goes for Republicans, Democrats, Green Party, Libertarians, etc. The inability, the outright refusal to engage in civil debate with those whom disagree with you is ruining not only this country, but society in general.

There is plenty of middle ground to be found when we all stop being assholes.
                  Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                  Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                    I don't 100% trust any news source. You have to read multiple sources, on both sides, and the truth will be somewhere there in the middle.

There is no such thing as "objective" news. As even keeled as the reporter, or organization they work for may be, it's still up to the reporter/editor on what story they cover, who they interview, what quotes they use and if they explain the context of the interview/conversation.

The current news cycle does sometimes want to make me tune out, but more than that, it makes me want to read as many sources as I can to try to develop a balanced view. On an average day I probably read 50-70 news articles on various local, national, and international news.

NYT, Washington Post (and Times), LA Times, BBC, NPR, Huff Post, etc. Of course when it comes to local news, there aren't as many options. But it's easy to see the evangelicals continue to ruin my home state.

I really wish everyone on both sides would seek out differing opinions vs surrounding themselves in an echo chamber.

That goes for Republicans, Democrats, Green Party, Libertarians, etc. The inability, the outright refusal to engage in civil debate with those whom disagree with you is ruining not only this country, but society in general.

There is plenty of middle ground to be found when we all stop being assholes.
                    Right on. Certainly with you there. That being said, it can be challenging to find diversity in both people and the messaging all around you day-to-day. (I can only imagine what it is like in parts of Oklahoma.)

Comment

Originally posted by phillipj View Post
                      Right on. Certainly with you there. That being said, it can be challenging to find diversity in both people and the messaging all around you day-to-day. (I can only imagine what it is like in parts of Oklahoma.)
                      Day-to-day, sure. But we are conversing on the internet. Unfortunately, most people seek out things that reinforce what they already believe vs investigating and trying to broaden their horizons.

It's pretty easy to find people that aren't of your background on the internet. One of my closest friends is from this website. And we have very different cultural backgrounds.

OK, is very white, very "guns and bibles," etc. But I also work for one of the largest tech companies in the World (yes they have an office here). My male boss has been with his spouse for nearly 20 years. We have people from all over the country in our office, many international people in our office.

Our team alone has offices in California, OKC, Canada, London, Brno, Barcelona, Montevideo, and Manila. And that doesn't even count the people not on the Commerce team.

Sorry to come out with both barrels, and I know I'm plenty guilty of it in the past, but I'm trying to be better. I'm just tired of all the negativity on the Internet and social media. My cynical side says, "Fuck it, fuck them, fuck everyone," but I don't want to be like that anymore.

Everyone seems to be more concerned with "gotcha's" and being pedantic, than trying to understand what the other side has to say and trying to find some middle ground that we can work from.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

... I'm just tired of all the negativity on the Internet and social media. My cynical side says, "Fuck it, fuck them, fuck everyone," but I don't want to be like that anymore.

Everyone seems to be more concerned with "gotcha's" and being pedantic, than trying to understand what the other side has to say and trying to find some middle ground that we can work from.
                        Right on, Sir. I feel like that too. :cheers:

Comment

NPR? you liberal heathen :P
                          past:
                          1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:
                          1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

I agree we are too polarized and there needs to be communication and compromise.

The problem is Trump chronically lies and when he makes agreements changes his mind.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                              NPR? you liberal heathen :P
                              I think probably just heathen in general! :)

I lean far left on some stuff, right on some, and moderate on others.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

I think probably just heathen in general! :)

I lean far left on some stuff, right on some, and moderate on others.
                                that's sort of what's frustrating to me about politics being defined as "left" or "right".

it's more like 3-dimensional space where the x, y, and z axes are what you give a shit about.
                                past:
                                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                                1985 323i baur
                                current:
                                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Working...
                                X