Clear All

WAY better wasted spark option

Bosch coil 0221503002
    Fits 95 Saab 900 2.5 V6
    95 Saab 9000 3.0 V6
    95 Ferrari F50 4.7L V12 :devil:

Get this http://www.efiexpress.com/catalog/pr...products_id=61

and get your megasquirt option connector

Dwell times are in the included PDF along with the wiring diagram.

Reuse original Plug wires.

I plan on mounting my coil to the firewall and flipping the wires in the loom.

Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 2002tiiguy; 12-03-2016, 08:47 AM. Reason: oops wrong firing order

This is cool. Commented to save.
    Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
    A Topless Memorandum

Comment

The other common option, for comparison

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Good choice.
        Slightly more Mj then the IGN6 but, it's like $50 more expensive. :0

Comment

yeah i know, its not perfect, but being able to use bosch connectors, re-use the stock wires, and you can order this coil from an auto parts store.

Comment

Bumping because I just used this on my M30 build and it works great so far. Cut the end off the back of the plug wire guide and flipped the wires around and it makes the plug wires perfect lengths to mount on the battery tray.

More people need to know!

Comment

Do I still need extra igniter modules to use this?

A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Yep, you'll need a total of three BIP373's.

I have the DIYPNP so it was a breeze to modify. Had the board modified and coil wired up for a test start in about an hour.

Comment

lucky non ix people without washer bottles in the battery tray lol

Comment

lol, I had to move the battery which was a little more work than a washer bottle!

Especially on an early model where there's no battery-sized compartment in the trunk :(

Meant to post a couple photos, but forgot.

Re-arranged plug wires:

Final product before being I screwed it down:

I would like to make a bracket instead of just self tapping screws into the battery tray, but that'll be later some time. Everything mostly fits in the plug wire guide but it kept popping open in the rear. It's shallower than the front because they didn't intend for all 6 wires to be in that location.

Comment

i still dont get the point of wasted spark
                      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Theoretically, less loss in spark energy due to no longer using a distributor... Also there's no cap/rotor to wear out or break.

In my case, I did it to clear room for down pipe and/or wastegate and because I like working on electronics. Plus this Bosch coil was 1/4 the cost of a distributor cap.

Comment

Even if you don't really GET it get that you can use powerful coils and get to run a shit ton more duration.
                          unstoppable spark plus total and complete burn time is where it comes down to.

also, ya. So you ever look at ur chewed up cap/rotor and wonder if it's time to replace it?

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                            i still dont get the point of wasted spark
                            I've been shocked many a times by both, and that alone will tell you the difference, ha! The stock single coil is what, 40,000v having to fire 3x per engine revolution, vs having three 40,000 firing once per rev. The fact that it's wasted spark is just an easy way to package, use less ignition components, plus you get the benefit of capturing any power potential of un-burnt fuel.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

if you dont have any actual ignition issues then all these fancy coils, ignition boxes, blah, blah etc will do next to nothing tangible unless you are really pushing the envelope with high rpm or high cylinder pressure.

from a NA perspective the only positive thing ive seen with wasted spark is it allows you to easily add a cam sensor in its place for fully sequential injection , yet to see much in the way of benefit of sequential injection except nicer idle but will probably getting a better ECU soon to properly explore injector timing.

one negative is it looks ugly as hell if you have a huge coil sitting on the valve cover :( so if you do it mount it somewhere else
                              Last edited by digger; 08-04-2017, 03:53 AM.
                              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                              X