No announcement yet.

New to e30, New to CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotcha, Im leaning towards doing the conversion. Im trying to figure out right now what the best aux fan is to go on top of my new parallel flow condenser.

Plus, check this out: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...40#post4661040

Comment

Originally posted by Jdub View Post
      That is gnarly. I agree with sanding the nicks to make sure there are no shard edges.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
        If your planning on doing a r134a conversion it will cost you unless you do most of it yourself besides discharging/ charging the system. You'll have to replace 5 of the a/c lines, compressor, and dryer. I'm missing something. If your r12 system is working fine id just get it recharged.. I made it through fall/ summer with no/ weak a/c and probably won't get it charged until next fall.
        Yeah Im planning on doing it all myself. Ive done a ton of research and have found that if I do it, Im going with a new PF condenser, new o-rings all around, new PAG oil in the compressor, new drier, and new expansion valve.

All this doesn't cost too much more than the recharge itself, so it might be worth it?

Im worried that if I do recharge with r12 there will be a leak and I'll lose all my r12 really quickly. I guess thats where the new a/c lines come in that you mentioned! Im trying to find out if I can have an a/c shop vacuum out all the old r12 and at the same time check for a leak before I start anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Jdub View Post
          Cool, I think I'm going to pick up some super cheap ones just to get my by until I save up enough to get some new tires. Found some for $37 each lol.

Question: I'm in Orlando, FL right now
          If you're actually from FL and have never driven in the snow, this is my advice:

- Don't drive that nice car in the ice and slop - find something else for daily use, or...
          - Get decent 4 wheel snows on it for winter, on a second set of wheels so you don't have to pay $60 twice a year to mount and balance. Maybe Blizzaks, or General Altimax Arctics, which are actually Continentals and priced really well.

Go somewhere big where you can't hit poles or curbs and practice - see how it lets go, see how the tail end goes sideways on the gas, see how it understeers and just goes straight if you even touch the brakes, all that stuff. It's a whole new thing if you've never driven in it, and that car is too nice to experiment with and stuff into someone's trunk at a stoplight.

One of the expenses of living in snowy places is having two sets of tires. "All-seasons" are NO seasons, they aren't really great at anything.

Not trying to dump on you here, just checking if you have any snow experience. I'm from Denver, and have two relatives in Ft Collins.

Comment

Sand the cam gear with some emery cloth or something. Yeah, he's right all seasons are no seasons but there fine for daliy driving the whole year if your just looking for tires that can get you by or in most people's case replacing dry rotted tires. I drove my iX on my all seasons one day when I snowed and hated it because I drove into a ditch.. This was the first time I drove it on all seasons in two winters. I have some e30 steelies that have General Altimax Arctics, great for the money and have been wearing evenly for me look for some bottle caps or something. Also regarding the a/c I'm no expert but I'm pretty certain it would be over $500 even if you do it yourself. You'd have to find a shop to make those hoses for you and someone that will remove the r12. Personally I wouldn't take it on if you a/c still works. I'd buy winter tires and another wheelset and or other matainance items unless you like having a nice e30 curb magnet...
            Last edited by Chrisbike; 07-09-2016, 11:14 PM.
            Build Thread
            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
            Parts Thread
            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Yepp. I would definitely recommend getting some practice in the snow. The number one rule of snow driving is all wheel drive doesn't mean all wheel stop. Not that you have an ix, but the saying still holds. Give yourself, and others, ample room to stop.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

UThank you for all the advice!! BUT, there is a new problem at hand. Check out my most recent post in this thread, screaming belts and it takes forever for it to turn over after timing belt change.What did I do!? I think I really just need to get v belt tension right.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                  If you're actually from FL and have never driven in the snow, this is my advice:

- Don't drive that nice car in the ice and slop - find something else for daily use, or...
                  - Get decent 4 wheel snows on it for winter, on a second set of wheels so you don't have to pay $60 twice a year to mount and balance. Maybe Blizzaks, or General Altimax Arctics, which are actually Continentals and priced really well.

Go somewhere big where you can't hit poles or curbs and practice - see how it lets go, see how the tail end goes sideways on the gas, see how it understeers and just goes straight if you even touch the brakes, all that stuff. It's a whole new thing if you've never driven in it, and that car is too nice to experiment with and stuff into someone's trunk at a stoplight.

One of the expenses of living in snowy places is having two sets of tires. "All-seasons" are NO seasons, they aren't really great at anything.

Not trying to dump on you here, just checking if you have any snow experience. I'm from Denver, and have two relatives in Ft Collins.
                  Definitely practice before venturing into the wild, and buy some damn snow tires. 4, not 2. I have General Altimax on our Volvo 940 in the winter and they're absolutely amazing. The car outperforms a lot of AWD cars on "all season" tires in the winter.
                  sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Welcome to Co! enjoy the views, the heat and the snow!
                    sigpic
                    HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                    " enjoy the show "

Comment

See you soon Colorado!!

Comment

Hey there, I am also moving to Greeley this month. Unfortunately I will be leaving my E30 in Southern California for a few months. Maybe we can start some sort of meet up in northern Colorado. I used to know a guy that organized drift events at island grove, but I am unsure if that still happens, seeing as how I have not been to Colorado for about 8 years.

Comment

Working...
                        X