Seeking a little local reassurance and/or guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
    Coincidentally, I have a customer in need of a cheap M10B18 EFI motor...

Hey, OP, let's make this happen!
    I know of a M10B18 EFI and SETA motor rotting away at some guys house who refuses to fix anything or sell anything. Hit him up

Comment

No Terns Left Unstoned

Well this has just taken a left turn, hasn't it?
      Certainly an intriguing alignment of resources and needs...an M20 would be a much-needed and very welcome upgrade but then we're talking trans and brakes too. My base 318i comes with the (shudder) ZP 3 speed slushbox.

You know someone in need of my four-pot motor?

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      someone help this guy M20B25 swap his car, he couldve already done it with the money he's spent. You can recoup some of the money by selling the EFI M10 parts to the 2002 guys, but not much else is worth anything on the M10. Good news is that with a M20B25 in there you will never want to sell the car. Absolute riot in that lighter car, with a stock E30 motor

Comment

Matching Parts to Needy Drivers

Well, heck. I'm just back from happy hour....but this seems worth exploring further. What would the four-cyl fetch and what's the going rate for an M20B25? Note also my M10 is mated to the ZF 3 speed. :/

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        Coincidentally, I have a customer in need of a cheap M10B18 EFI motor...

Hey, OP, let's make this happen!

Comment

Originally posted by M10Power View Post
          Well, heck. I'm just back from happy hour....but this seems worth exploring further. What would the four-cyl fetch and what's the going rate for an M20B25? Note also my M10 is mated to the ZF 3 speed. :/

for a plug and play swap with no wiring needed go for a 1984-85 m20b27(eta motor)

you will need the engine, harness/ecu, trans, shift linkage, driveshaft, Rad, exp. tank with brackets, stock exhaust and cat section(eta cat will bolt up to your m10 cat back) all hoses, air box, as well as starter flywheel clutch engine mounts and mount arms m20 tach ect.
          your also doing a 5 speed swap so pedals, clutch master, slave and hard and soft lines

but the early m20s have a rectangle c101 plug, same as the m10 so the harness would plug right in to the car. done

I did this swap in my 318i and it took me only 24hrs(including sleep)
          super simple, you will need to do a small amount of welding, the mount for the coolant bottle, but its two small welds on the strut tower

I paid 600 for all that with a motor with 70,000 on it.

I ended up pulling it for a m50 because i was bored, sold it to a buddy with everything minus the trans and exhaust. i think he is selling it, i think he want around $300

and m20b25 swap wouldn't be much harder, you would need an adapter harness from rec. to round c101 plug, and it would be easier to run the early m20 water pump so you can run an early radiator(which you car already has the mount holes for) and an early expatiation tank which i think would be less welding for the brackets

keep in ind that m20 parts are more expensive, b25s wires are more than b27, and both are mountains more than m10.
          dist cap and rotor are price because they only fit the m20(and the v12s) vs the m10 cap is the same as alot of VWs so they can be mass produced and cut cost to companies like BOSCH and Bremi. as well as you should always do a timing belt if you dont know when it was done last(every 60,000 miles)

if you decided to tackle this swap i can answer any questions, and if you looking for someone to do it for you, I can also do it for you
          Last edited by FireFight; 12-30-2016, 11:51 AM.
          WTB:m60b40 in PNW
          Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
          92 525it 5 speed.
          80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

best course of action, find a wrecked 325e/i with a 5 speed. that way you have all the parts
            Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
            92 525it 5 speed.
            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

..or a wrecked 528e. But usually those had slush boxes behind them.

either way, the swap is easy as pie, you'll enjoy the car more.

Though, once you do that, I would seriously stop using it for a daily. These are considered classics now and seem to have a target on their back for non-attentive drivers. And last thing I want to see is another "Part out because I r3v'd my E30.."
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                ..or a wrecked 528e. But usually those had slush boxes behind them.

either way, the swap is easy as pie, you'll enjoy the car more.

Though, once you do that, I would seriously stop using it for a daily. These are considered classics now and seem to have a target on their back for non-attentive drivers. And last thing I want to see is another "Part out because I r3v'd my E30.."
                on a e28 I know the pans are different, is the harness the correct size? in terms of e34 and e36, the e34 harness is shorter than the e36
                Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                92 525it 5 speed.
                80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

I went through a similar situation when I bought my 318i. It ran a little rough when I bought it, but it made it home fine. I parked it for a few days and then it never started again. After tons of troubleshooting and doing a basic tune up I found low compression in 3 cylinders. So I dropped in a used short block and rebuilt head.

It was quite the saga even after that to get the car running properly. Long story short is keep researching and learn to work on the car yourself, you'll go broke taking a car like this to a shop. The M10 engine is really easy to work on, you just have to be careful about where you get spare parts from. If you can find a good AFM, coolant temp sensors, and distributor from someone parting a car out, those are some of the hardest to find parts in the EFI system.

I have some spares, PM me if you need something

Comment

Encouraged

Thanks - I'll keep you in mind!

Comment

Shopping List

Sounds like a good plan for when the time comes to ditch the four-pot. For the time being, I'll be doing the injector work. Got some very helpful PMs in the last 24 hours.

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
                      best course of action, find a wrecked 325e/i with a 5 speed. that way you have all the parts

Comment

Originally posted by M10Power View Post
                        Got some very helpful PMs in the last 24 hours.
                        welcome to the R3v community
                        Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                        92 525it 5 speed.
                        80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

hey, if you ever need any help with anything, just shoot me a PM. i'm down in lake stevens, so not too terribly far away.

i didn't know jack about how to work on cars when i first got my eclipse about 6 years ago (gahh!! :( ), like didn't know how to change my oil didn't know jack about cars. but, i decided i needed to learn, and have taught myself everything i know. and i've had to rebuild my m20 twice now.. it can seem super daunting sometimes, but let me tell you:

it is very rewarding to get the job done, sit back, and say "yeah, i did that."

welcome to the community! we're here to help :)
                          Current daily: 2003 Mitsubishi Evo (Isabelle)
                          Gone, but never forgotten: 2017 VW Golf R 6sp (Maria, sold)
                          1989 325i 5sp (Lorelei, sold)
                          1991 BMW 318is 5sp (Michaela; totaled)
                          2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5sp (Selena, parted out)

IG: mitsugal_jenni

Comment

E30 M10 318i injector swap is 10 minutes and two 10MM bolts. Depressurize the fuel system, wear rubber gloves and be prepared to spill some fuel. Easy.

Also, I would find a used set of 318i injectors (usually cheap or free, I have a set if you need), send them off to get cleaned, new filters, and flow tested (usually about $20 per, or you can buy the kits and do it yourself), and swap them in in an afternoon. Total cost: about $80, or about $30 if you rebuild them yourself.
                            Originally posted by 5Toes
                            bux bux bux. Im all about the bux Mr. Autism

Comment

Gracias!

Thanks! Depressurize the system by pulling the fuse when the motor is running? Or do you recommend a different method?

Originally posted by Eta power View Post
                              E30 M10 318i injector swap is 10 minutes and two 10MM bolts. Depressurize the fuel system, wear rubber gloves and be prepared to spill some fuel. Easy.

Also, I would find a used set of 318i injectors (usually cheap or free, I have a set if you need), send them off to get cleaned, new filters, and flow tested (usually about $20 per, or you can buy the kits and do it yourself), and swap them in in an afternoon. Total cost: about $80, or about $30 if you rebuild them yourself.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks Jenni! Though I have wrenched on mountain bikes for many, many years (both professionally in a big shop, and then in the years since when I got a 'real' job) I haven't done much in the way of work on my own car. I had a Volvo 745 before this and (knock on wood) it didn't require much work for most of its life. Now that I have a house of my own and garage space, and this E30, I have more resources to work with. Looking back over the last week, I guess I was in more of a panic than I care to admit - but the good (great!) news is that the prospect of an $1100 repair billed spurred me to figure this out on my own. I look forward to learning more from this community, and about my 3.

Originally posted by car_gal_jenni View Post
                                hey, if you ever need any help with anything, just shoot me a PM. i'm down in lake stevens, so not too terribly far away.

i didn't know jack about how to work on cars when i first got my eclipse about 6 years ago (gahh!! :( ), like didn't know how to change my oil didn't know jack about cars. but, i decided i needed to learn, and have taught myself everything i know. and i've had to rebuild my m20 twice now.. it can seem super daunting sometimes, but let me tell you:

it is very rewarding to get the job done, sit back, and say "yeah, i did that."

welcome to the community! we're here to help :)

Comment

Working...
                                X