1991 318is found for cheap, still in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 318is found for cheap, still in progress

For about the last 6 months I have been looking for a cheap E30 and geekin out on this forum. I have been really wanting a fun car/project and picked and E30.

So it is starting with the 91' M42. The guy wanted 400 bucks for it so I was like what the hell... so I called and drove up and looked at it. It was pretty rough and he said that it was stuck in reverse. I offered 200 and he said 250. Deal. So I took it to the shop and ripped it apart. Clutch still has enough left for now. Brakes suck front and rear. Power steering rack leaks like a bitch(normal). So I called my buddy that works at euro motors. His boss had a 91' i that had a blown motor and a good tranny. So I went and picked that up for cheap. I only have about 600 bucks wrapped in this fun little car so go easy on me.

Put the tranny in and took all of the stupid, non working under glow lights off of the is and all of the stupid stickers. I changed the oil and changed the oil in the tranny. Car rand like a champ but i had about a foot of pipe off of the header and it was loud as hell. Im sorry for the Fart Can but it was free from a guy at work and it gets the job done for now. I really don't like it but its there. So i put on the fart can and have put about a thousand miles on it so far.

I have a rattle when its cold. Im assuming its piston slap but it also could be the timing chain rattle, any tips? but i love driving this car. It really needs Front and rear shocks. I need to lower it! I put the trunk lid off of the i on and on tuesday i put the left front fender on as well so it doesnt look to bad any more.

I appreciate any hints/tips for this car.

Like I said I am really excited about gettting into the bimmer world. I am a Toyota tech that wants something exciting to work on!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bmw 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	7213797

Name:	Bmw 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	7213798

Name:	Bmw 3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	7213799

Name:	Bmw 4.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	7213800

Name:	Bmw 5.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	7213801

These are the before pics

[ATTACH]23973[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23974[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23975[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23976[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23977[/ATTACH]

Comment

looks like you're on the right track.

maintenance, suspension, cosmetics, wheels (in that order)
      -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by IC E30
        timing chain rattle
        advise to replace chain tensioner

every 318is owner should have Brendan Purcell's site in their favorites.
        -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

wow whats with the fart can.

Comment

Originally posted by n2bimmer View Post
            wow whats with the fart can.
            Can you not read?
            M Coupe

Comment

Like I said before it was free and i needed exhaust fast.

Comment

Working...
              X