Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 hole strut and e36 hub - Conversion Complete.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 hole strut and e36 hub - Conversion Complete.

So this is a project my father started a while ago and is something we were going to use on the race car but with the e36 suspension becoming available this fell by the way side.

Today I finally pulled out all the parts and had a look and we went about fitting them. I totally forgot to take pictures of the process but it entails making a 2 piece sleeve to fit the standard e30 hub spindle and a modified e30 locking nut.

It went together fairly easily, BUT I have run into a problem that I didn't anticipate. When I fit the e36 328i discs they foul on the tie rod end. Somehow I must have miscalculated. It's not a big worry as I can use a similar spacer as is used when running an e36 M3 disk. The added benefit of this is the wheels will no longer require a 5mm spacer.

I will snap some pictures of the setup tomorrow.

Once this is solved with the disc and the calipers mounted I will get cracking on converting it to a coilover setup and test fitting it on my road e30.

Sweet, I tryed this about a month ago, and came up with the exact same results as you (although using an e46 hub and e46 330 disc) I am curious to see how it looked with the wheel on, bolted all together. I guess you have studs or longer bolts now as a result of the extra 5mm thickness of the hub? Also, what brake caliper did you decide on?

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |

Comment

As far as I know the e36 and 46 hubs are the same parts. We used new e46 hubs on e36 king pins on our e30 race car. I know that e46 330i discs and callipers bolt up to e36 uprights. So I'm fairly confident that they are also the same offsets and calliper lug spacing.

I haven't mounted them up yet, as I don't have wheels or the spacers made up. I'm going to go with a 12mm spacer behind the disc so that in the future if I would like to run an e36 M3 disc I will be able to without making new spacers, but for now I want to run 328i discs and callipers so I can still run a 15" wheel.

I might run these wheels on the car.

Comment

I couldn't fit 15" wheels on my e46 with 328i brakes? :shrug:
        Build Threads:
        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I dunno about the e46 328i brakes but I know the e36 328i will fit 15" wheels.

When I said they were the same I should have clarified is that the discs and hubs will transfer from any e46 (except the M3) to the e36. The e36 M3 has the same dimension brake discs and callipers as the e46 330i

They share the same offset and calliper bolt spacing. I also know the hubs are the same part no.

Comment

Working...
          X