My E30 LS1 Buildup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My E30 LS1 Buildup

I'm new here, and I know this is a hell of a way to introduce myself, but I figured some of you might be interested in my little project that my dad and I are undertaking with our E30. I know some will think is cool and some blasphemous. If you wish to discuss this regard of the swap, please do so on this thread so as not to contaminate the buildup thread on Bimmerforums. Thanks.

Here's a link to the engine swap thread in the engine conversion section of Bimmerforums.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=699289

Also, I have a friend who's from Germany and is going back in the middle of August. Is it possible for him to get an M-tech II kit while he is there? How would he go about finding one? Can you still walk into a dealer in Germany and pick one up? How much money should I give him? How much custom work (brackets, etc) would I have to fab up to get it to work on my diving board equipped E30?

Thanks-

-Garret & Steve E30-LS1 aka 357is
    E30-LS1 aka. 357is
    email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
    E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
    E30LS1@gmail.com
    e30ls1.com

good to see another e30 v8
    sigpic340hp V8 e30 FINISHED!!!!!
    Quick vid for ya ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5Eaf8xOgM
    NEW One on the track :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AX5SzSLnk
    Cleaning up some 911s and Jap turbos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad79wsLdle4

Comment

Good to see you over here now .

I've been subscibed to your thread for a few months now . :D

On the MT2 kit , you can actually walk in to a US dealer and order a brand new set still .
      (don't listen to the clowns that say they bought the last one)

The big expense with buying one in Europe is the shipping costs since the rear bumper/valance is huge .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

tittays, sounds like an awesome project
        Build Threads:
        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

gtfo! i'm the ls1 guy around here! :)

Good to see you here, i've been following your swap :)

Lsx/t56 Swap progress |----------| .0000000005% - Well below poverty line.
          Getting purists panties in a knot since 2007. ;)
          E30 count = 6! :shock:

Comment

Looks like a nice, clean, impressive swap. The car looks to be stock. Do you have plans for other mods to help the chassis cope with the new found power?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Cool... Are you going to leave it stock or perk it up?

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

The foam mockup of the LS1 is impressive, especially because it has all the mounting points to bolt stuff to. Did you use rapid prototyping to build it?
                sigpic
                1991 Diamantschwarz 318is
                1998 Cosmosschwarz M3 Sedan

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Tasty, looks good
                  Originally posted by NavyE30
                  I saw Vlad was posting and got excited. Then I saw there weren't any boobs and was sad.

Comment

there was a silver M3 in the harbor who had the same swap, he came into Northwest Snowboards and asked who owned my car, then he gave me a ride and i put his seat back and it broke, lol.
                    anyway if you are luckyenough to find him im sure he can give you lots of tips to the swap

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

Originally posted by craig4ie View Post
                      The foam mockup of the LS1 is impressive, especially because it has all the mounting points to bolt stuff to. Did you use rapid prototyping to build it?
                      No, we actually bought it. It was around 250 or so but we are going to sell it when we are done with it (although who knows when that is because we are already talking of doing this swap + supercharger/turbos? to another car...possibly an 8 series...). I think we got it on e-bay or out of the summit racing catalog. A lot of vendors use them in shows so they don't have to lug around a real block but can still show off their kit on it.

The silver M3 in Gig Harbor is Bob Heacox's we talked to him at the beginning of the swap and he gave us a lot of good info then, but ours is extremely different from his in that we chose to keep boosted brakes and he went with a tilton setup I think...Nice looking car tho. There is also an orange Jagermeister M3 replica somewhere in Europe that was featured in Performance BMW awhile ago that is a remarkable car. So far those are the only completed ones I know of...

At the beginning I was hot on stripping the interior and putting a rollcage and recaros in but I think now it's just going to be drivetrain and some exterior stuff. It's getting new paint for sure and 16" wheels, diving board bumpers will go. Maybe a 5 bolt conversion and big brakes are in the future but we don't really know. It kind of depends on if we start a second LS powered car...
                      E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                      E30LS1@gmail.com
                      e30ls1.com

Comment

I cant afford speccy things like foam mockups :(

Lsx/t56 Swap progress |----------| .0000000005% - Well below poverty line.
                        Getting purists panties in a knot since 2007. ;)
                        E30 count = 6! :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                          I'm new here, and I know this is a hell of a way to introduce myself, but I figured some of you might be interested in my little project that my dad and I are undertaking with our E30. I know some will think is cool and some blasphemous.
                          You should join the club. :D

Looks great!

Comment

Hey everyone... there are a bunch of new pics and lots more to come cuz I'm working like mad on welding up the exhaust right now! We're shooting for a run date of Sept 1...
                            E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                            E30LS1@gmail.com
                            e30ls1.com

Comment

thats whats up, im really considering doing this project or a S52 Turbo to another E30 91 318is or 325is.. what did you do the rear diff and axles to support all the power?? i hope 12k is enough to cover for the project
                              Last edited by E30 318T; 08-18-2007, 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X