Chevy Volt just a regular hybrid after all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
    When I set up solar powered remote backhaul repeaters, I never have to replace the panels. I do have to rebuild generators, replace batteries, and so on. Solar stuff seems damn reliable to me.

They're super expensive, take up lots of space and it takes forever just for you to break even...and right about when you're about to break even the panels need replacing. Add in all the costs and it's just not worth it. It's a feel good purchase.
    The technology has a long long way to go.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Modern panels are rated to do 80% output after 20 years.

As for it being a "feel good" purchase, well you're right.

It feels damn good to not have to drive 3 hours each way to swap out batteries once a week, or to manage a generator in the middle of no where. Compared to the fuel cost (and insurance) of having a remote genset in the middle of nowhere, it sure does feel good to "gamble" on solar.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the sun is rather predictable.

Say you get 4 hours of usable sun per day in WI. Say a 12kW array costs $50k all said and done.
      Say a 12kW diesel genset costs $12k, and then $3k installed.

Genset consumes 1GPH @ 100% load. @ $3.00 a gallon, 4 hours a day, that's $4380 a year in fuel.
      Now it only costs 9 years for the solar system to break even.
      Don't forget oil changes, filter changes, belts, valve adjustments, air filters, fuel filters, and time.

9 years is less than half of 20.
      Last edited by u3b3rg33k; 10-14-2010, 12:52 AM.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
      Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

My point is, that it costs too much and uses way too much resources currently to make shitty technology that is only viable due to tax subsidies. Do you know how expensive and energy intensive refining silica is... Do you know how much energy goes into make Li baterries? You probably don't because you aren't a scientist. Many scientists and engineers are shaking their heads right now because this is retarded.

Improve it greatly, its not that hard, just needs a serious push and then adopt it. Right now it seems like it will only do more damage as it will show people hey my shitty hybrid battery was replaced twice in the last 6 years, hmmm.... lets drop this shit right now and go back to oil.

I'm all for alternative energies, just think we need to put some cash behind R&D and make solar a significantly better, then it will make both dollars and sense. Energy storage could be accomplished via hydrogen from water, just need again better battery/hydrogen storage tech.

Think about how much we could accomplish if we REALY wanted to get this working. Remember the A-bomb, this shit is way simplier, just needs some real scientists and some real commitment.

Comment

Working...
        X