Headlight Wiring Help (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Wiring Help (pics)

Could you guys please shed some light on what each of these wires are for? I can obviously tell the 2 that went into each headlight and the one for the fog light. I just want to know what each are for and if I can remove any. I am looking for a very clean install.

I am converting to Euro Ellipsoids and full Mtech 1 front. I already ran the new pigtails from the headlights, but have to splice into the harness yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

IMG_1628 by Greg Wolfe, on Flickr

IMG_1627 by Greg Wolfe, on Flickr

IMG_1629 by Greg Wolfe, on Flickr

IMG_1630 by Greg Wolfe, on Flickr

IMG_1631 by Greg Wolfe, on Flickr

IMG_1632 by Greg Wolfe, on Flickr

IMG_1633 by Greg Wolfe, on Flickr

IMG_1634 by Greg Wolfe, on Flickr

IMG_1635 by Greg Wolfe, on Flickr

Mr. Wolfe
    sigpic

Nice E30

Comment

ha.. you should post to the electrical forum..

check my build thread. no euro valance huh? you'll need to clear the db valance a bit for fogs.. ping kronus on that.

3 prong oval shape are turn/park signals. you'll need to convert them to 2 prong for the euro bumper lights. there are some cool ways to do that. I have some pics on my thread which I've hopefully converted already.

Square 3 prongs are your low and hi beams US spec. you'll need to change those connectors to work with euro smileys. looking at the schematic for 88/earlier:

LH low Yellow/White
      LH high. White/Violet
      RH low. Yellow/Blue
      RH high. White/Blue

grounds on each should be brown.

are you gonna run HID? good time to do it up front..

fogs are also two prong. yellow/brown for lh fog, yellow/violet for rh fog. ground side should be brown wires.

you'll have left over side marker connectors.
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Thanks guys. Brad, appreciate the feedback. I got my headlights wired up. I am going to work on the car again Monday so I will post if I don't have every wire figured out. I think there are only 2-3 per side that I am unsure about. I will post a picture of just them probably tomorrow. Again, thanks!

Mr. Wolfe
        sigpic

Comment

I ended up just ordering the Euro valence. I was going to cut mine, but at $220, it's not that bad. Every time I read someone's journal it cost me money. lol

Mr. Wolfe
          sigpic

Comment

be care ordering the 772 valance. BMW *will* ship you the WRONG part. I've seen it happen twice, one of those times to me.
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
              be care ordering the 772 valance. BMW *will* ship you the WRONG part. I've seen it happen twice, one of those times to me.
              Thanks, will do.

Mr. Wolfe
              sigpic

Comment

I think I have it figured out. Got all of my lights working so I think the other wires are just leftover from the M62 swap.

Mr. Wolfe
                sigpic

Comment

I explained to Blunt Tech the situation and here is the email I just received.

Unfortunately BMW has replaced the 227 valence with the lower one as pictured. I apologize for the inconvenience and just sent over a refund. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help with and we would be happy to do so.

I think I will have to figure out how to alter mine.

Mr. Wolfe
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X