Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about rack swap on airbag cars

Hi,

I just did a z3 steering rack swap on my airbag e30 and I did not modify the firewall because when the car was on jacks I did not feel any rubbing when I turned the steering wheel, but after setting the car down and driving it, I can now feel rubbing when I turn the steering wheel.

It isn't very much, but noticeable. My question is, will this harm anything if I don't dremel the firewall? Meaning, can I leave the car as is? This is a track car, not my daily. Most rubbing happens when going to from centered to position to either direction, but once I turn the wheel enough, the rubbing stops (or doesn't feel as much).

Thanks!

How did you manage to swing that? I had to cut my firewall a bit otherwise the linkage would never have fit. Are you getting the rubbing/grinding from the linkage itself or do you think that it is just rubbing against the FW?
    555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
    '95 BMW e34 525i
    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
    '92 Range Rover Classic
    '90 Range Rover Classic
    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
    '67 Pontiac LeMans
    '24 Model T Depot Hack
    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
      How did you manage to swing that? I had to cut my firewall a bit otherwise the linkage would never have fit. Are you getting the rubbing/grinding from the linkage itself or do you think that it is just rubbing against the FW?
      I think its just rubbing against the firewall and it only happens once in a while, very rarely.

Since I had to bend the subframe tabs a little bit to remove the e30 rack, I bent the tabs back slightly in a way that I the bolts fit from the outermost hole at the bottom of the tabs to the innermost at the top of the tabs. Do you know what I mean? Doing it this way I did not have to do any modification, nor spacers.

I been driving the car semi-hard on the street to test it out and so far so good. Of course, I keep checking under the car to check any damage. I plan lift the car once more today to take a look again.

I will revisit this project next month when I re-install the cross brace and probably will just dremel the firewall and put the spacers just to be safe.

Comment

Can you hit the fire wall in a strategic place with the negotiator? (ie large hammer)

I personally would dent the firewall before cutting a hole. A hole will allow the fire in.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          Can you hit the fire wall in a strategic place with the negotiator? (ie large hammer)

I personally would dent the firewall before cutting a hole. A hole will allow the fire in.
          The guides I seen online people just dremmel out the firewall. I tried it today and was unsuccessful. I removed the plate that goes in the firewall and there is no more rubbing, however, now the rack rubs the gas pedal connector. I'll need to work on this a little more and add the spacers. Here are some pics so you know what I mean http://imgur.com/a/Dat7U

This car is my track car, not my DD.

Comment

Working...
          X