No announcement yet.

Fully Adjustable Coilovers for Drifting and Track Suggestions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah it's not even really about that...BC's and Fortunes have some really clicky knobs, and they sell them as 64 way adjustable or whatever. What matters is that each click does the same thing every time and that all 4 corners adjust similarly about the same range, this is where the cheap ones really suck. BC's have like 32 clicks of rebound adjustment, one shock might hit it's whole range in the first 4 clicks and another might not do anything until you get over 15, you just never know. That said, I am sure that there are some Fortunes out there that people have gotten to work really well, I've just never seen a legitimate motorsports outfit running an off-brand damper like that, and that's for good reason (in my opinion). If you're just building a car to go out and have fun, just buy the cheaper stuff and you probably won't notice a difference... When you really start getting into tuning on the car and you think you're being limited by the shocks, buy something better.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

If you start looking at costs, BC coilovers are like 1000bucks or whatever. Which includes the lot, springs shocks, camber tops, adjustment etc.

A decent pair of camber tops is like 400 bucks on their on. Springs are ~600 a set for a good brand, good quality B8 or higher end bilstin shocks are ~1200bucks.

How on earth can BC make a complete coilover set for 1000? cheap shitty shocks that's how.

I don't see too many people making their own coil-overs in the e30 world. I made some coil overs for my old corolla out of a set of struts, cut them down, welded on a threaded sleave and picked my shock and spring rate. Considering doing the same on the e30. then i can have whatever spring and shock i want with height adjustment as a bonus. on my old corolla i put in cheap KYB shocks at first, then later i upgraded to bilsteins. Used the same modified shock tube/coilover.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        If you start looking at costs, BC coilovers are like 1000bucks or whatever. Which includes the lot, springs shocks, camber tops, adjustment etc.

A decent pair of camber tops is like 400 bucks on their on. Springs are ~600 a set for a good brand, good quality B8 or higher end bilstin shocks are ~1200bucks.

How on earth can BC make a complete coilover set for 1000? cheap shitty shocks that's how.

I don't see too many people making their own coil-overs in the e30 world. I made some coil overs for my old corolla out of a set of struts, cut them down, welded on a threaded sleave and picked my shock and spring rate. Considering doing the same on the e30. then i can have whatever spring and shock i want with height adjustment as a bonus. on my old corolla i put in cheap KYB shocks at first, then later i upgraded to bilsteins. Used the same modified shock tube/coilover.
        Yeah, BC does it cheap because the only thing they modify for every car is the lower cup and the hole pattern on the upper mount- This is why they are height adjustable using the shock body. They use the same threaded shock body for everything, then just modify the lower cup to fit whatever car or strut. Same with Fortune, K-sport, Megan, Kido, D2, etc etc... It's literally the same stuff anodized different colors.

As for DIY coilovers, you can do the same with the e30. Corrado strut inserts are ~3" shorter, so you cut your struts to your desired length (Usually 1.5" to 2.5" shortened) then use a spacer to take up the rest, then buy some cheap sleeves and choose your spring- pretty easy really. I've always used Koni's because the Bilsteins are tough to find as inserts for VW's, but I've heard of people using iX Bilsteins similarly. Ebay is a great place to find used coilover springs, and you can get cheap sleeves from Ireland Engineering (or ebay)
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

yeah theres a company around here that does springs and coilvoer kit including springs for 300aud. I cant recall what i used on my old ones, but it was something simliar.

This domain name is registered and secured with Crazy Domains, a world leader domain name and web hosting provider.

If i remember correctly there were two popular sizes of coilvoer spring, 62 ID and 65 ID? just a matter of making sure it matches your sleeve kit.

I used to trawl through shock catalogues looking for short stroke, I used SW20 MR2 rear shocks in my corolla. It wouldn't surprise me if they suit the e30 too. Easy enough to measure I suppose. AE92 fronts were another option for 51mm, just quite a bit shorter than the MR2 ones.

But all of this is not in the "easy and cheap drift setup" category. Go buy the BCs OP:)

Comment

Fabrication work is no problem for me just thought it would be easier not to. Although if it saves me enough money and gives me as good of a result as pro stuff then by all means.

Comment

Working...
            X