ix turbo gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ix turbo gears

Anyone changed gear ratios after a turbo install? I'm running strong but seems like they need to be longer. Advice?

Euro market iX's came with 3.64 gears. The hard one to get is the front, of course. Watch www.ebay.de and set your search area to Europa.

A couple front diffs have been offered for sale here over the years.

Comment

do most people change after turbo charging or stick with stock?

Comment

I think a lot of people just have the 3.91s because they are easy to get and they already have them. I will want 3.64s for my new motor but I haven't even looked for them and I know it will be tough to find..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I bought a 3.64 front diff off ebay.de and USPS lost the damn package, pretty much cemented my hatred for them.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
          Rear Diff Rebuild
          Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
          Transfer Case Rebuild
          "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Just did some searching and it seems pretty hopeless.

There were a few that were marked as 3.91's on ebay.de that could possibly be 3.64s, but even if they are - they have 300,000+kms on them and look beat. All of the internal parts are now NLA, and if you get one there's no guarantee it'll be in working condition, and you probably couldn't rebuild it even if you wanted to.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Bearings and seals ought to be pretty standard. If you have an extra diff around, pop it apart and see what bearings are in it. Gears are very very very difficult to wear out or damage.

Unless you're going with E34 or E53 front drive assembly.

Comment

Well for one, the crush bearing is NLA. Maybe you could find one aftermarket, but it would be a pain.

parts for the E34 are also NLA and BMW has never sold internals to anything newer.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

there are a few sets floating around but I snatched up the first 3.64 front I found and posted the last one I saw. Finding a Viscous rear 3.64 would be tougher than the front I think.
                  318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                  '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

A viscous 3.64 rear can be built easily enough. The parts are all on this side of the pond, one just has to put them together. I have one... with an E36 rear cover, even.

The problem with the 3.64 front is that the critical parts never made it to North America.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      Well for one, the crush bearing is NLA. Maybe you could find one aftermarket, but it would be a pain.

parts for the E34 are also NLA and BMW has never sold internals to anything newer.
                      I bought all of the parts to rebuild one a year or so ago. You can still get the bearings, I bought mine from Motion Industries $48.90+shipping. You actually have to buy the cup and cone halves separately, here are the part numbers:

Timken
                      Cone - Cup
                      M88048 - M88010
                      M86649 - M86610

OEM is FAG brand but Timken or SKF are acceptable equivalents
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
                      Rear Diff Rebuild
                      Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by TehRaydarlover View Post
                        I bought all of the parts to rebuild one a year or so ago. You can still get the bearings, I bought mine from Motion Industries $48.90+shipping. You actually have to buy the cup and cone halves separately, here are the part numbers:

Timken
                        Cone - Cup
                        M88048 - M88010
                        M86649 - M86610

OEM is FAG brand but Timken or SKF are acceptable equivalents

Did you ever build it? What about the gears? What else would you be missing?
                        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

I have not built it yet but it's in the works haha. Here's my parts list:

31531210929 x 2
                          33131212693 x 8
                          31531210746 x 2
                          31511211113 x 1
                          33113604119 x 1
                          33121210295 x 1
                          31511210884 x 1
                          33121200259 x 2 (you only need one, but odds are you'll screw up the rolling torque the first time so it's good to have a second one on hand)
                          33113604119 x 1
                          31521212516 x 1
                          23211490120 x 1

As far as the gears go mine were still in good shape. You can still get them new but they are $170 for the side gears and $90 for the spider gears. ECStuning actually says the 3.64 gear set 31521211702 is in stock lol $400 worth a try!
                          Last edited by TehRaydarlover; 09-12-2017, 01:00 PM.

Build Thread
                          Rear Diff Rebuild
                          Transfer Case Rebuild

Comment

I had and sold a set of 3.64's a few years ago when I decided not to boost my IX. To some degree I wish I couldn't have sold them.

Comment

Dave long time no see - I had thought of you when the subject of 3.64s came up. Pity you sold them, I would love a set..

you know they are sort of rare when you know the names of individuals who have them. lol.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X