Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 M20 no power, poor throttle response, dies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M20 no power, poor throttle response, dies.

First time e30 owner here. Trying to get her running so I can teach my little girl to drive :)

Long and short of it is I picked the car up from a friend where it had been sitting for a couple years. I have done the following so far:

Battery
    Timing belt
    Tensioner
    Water pump
    Thermostat
    Intake Tube
    Vacuum lines
    Pulled the fuel rail and cleaned the injectors
    Cleaned the Idle Control Valve
    Plugs
    Distributor Cap
    Rotor
    Gauge cluster and Dash lights
    Stereo
    A/C panel
    Charged the A/C
    Emptied Fuel tank and cleaned lines
    Fuel filter
    Fuel lines
    Fuel pressure regulator

The car was running and driving ok after all that, and I parked it. A month and a half went by and now the car was not wanting to idle well at all. I cleaned the ICV again, and decided to drain the tank and refill with premium fuel.

After draining I pulled the fuel pump and sender to look at the inside of the tank and it looked much cleaner than i expected so i buttoned it back up.

My fuel pressure at the cold start valve tee is 45 lbs give or take

The car starts right up, idles beautifully but suddenly stops. I replaced the coil which seems to have helped but now instead of stalling after a few minutes it just kind of starts idling a little rougher, but it has still stalled dead as well, just not every time.

IT feels as if the timing is off to me, which I guess the belt could have jumped a tooth, but unlikely as it is brand spanking new with a brand new tensioner.

I feel like this may be a bad ECU or some other electrical gremlin but I wanted to run it by you fine folks and see if you had any input.

Thanks in advance folks!
Working...
X