New owner, BMW 325iX Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
    I've had a quick look and you are right, however I think by cutting one of the square corners of from the connector on the fogs I should be able to connect them together.
    Also inspect the connections inside the fogs. There is very poor to non-existent isolation between the positive and negative inputs.

I ended up putting heatshrink around the internal leads.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
      Also inspect the connections inside the fogs. There is very poor to non-existent isolation between the positive and negative inputs.

I ended up putting heatshrink around the internal leads.
      I tried fitting them today but they were just way to big.
      I even tried using the original seal is it's a bit thinner but they still wouldn't fit..

Guess I'll look for original ZKWs and return the cheap fogs.
      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I noticed my idle being a bit rough when cold, sometimes even causing the engine to turn off. Today I cleaned the ICV valve with some carb cleaner and so far it improved a lot.

While being in the engine compartment, I re adjusted the valves. I ordered the little spring tool a while ago so it was the perfect time to test it out. It's pretty handy little tool, although pretty expensive for what it is.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Been a while since I updated this thread.
          Since those cheap Chinese fogs won't properly fit the opening, I decided to buy some nice used one for 95€ incl shipping from Germany. Currently waiting for them to arrive.

A week ago I noticed my central locking acting up, previously a little wiggle at the door connector would solve it. But this time it would not. I removed the rubber boot and noticed a cable was torn off. I soldered it back onto the connector but the central locking was still not working. I later found out that the torn wire was for the little tweaters so of course it didn't solve the central locking..

After driving the E30 for a week without being able to fully lock it up, I decided to look into it today. I found the wiring diagrams online and printed them off.
          I started with measuring the power at the fuse, I got 12,5V so it was getting power.
          I removed both door connectors and measured 12V at the wire going to the door, connected both door connectors and got 12V at the wire that comes from the door back to the car. (This is the well know loop that goes through the door, most people delete this loop and wire the wires together before the door connector)
          I then measured at the central locking unit itself and also got 12V so it was definitely getting power.

I then removed the doorcard and started looking inside the door for defective wires.
          Further I measured if the micro switch was still working, I disconnected it and connected my multimeter on the 2 connection pins, while also operating the door lock.
          When closing the lock the multimeter beeped so the switch is still working as it should.

While removing the doorcard, I noticed that the previous owner spliced / reconnected almost every single wire from the door harness. Not sure why though..?

This is the door loop that supplies power to the central locking unit. I couldn't see where the other wire was going too..

This is the connector for the micro switch, by simply disconnecting it you can check if it still works.

While measuring all the wires, I removed the old tape, cleaned the glue up and reapplied new taped.

After going through the trouble shooting tables from BMW I still can't seem too figure out what is work. I might replace the wiring harness that the previous owner spliced with an used one that's still intact. Just to have a clean start when I try to figure it out next time.

However, I was able to lock and unlock my car a few times while trouble shooting, so I guess there is a bad connection somewhere in the system at the driver sides door.. Meanwhile I'm able to lock and unlock my car via the trunk lock. It's something at least :p

I printed this diagram on paper so I could write on it when figuring out what was what, what still works and where I got power.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Haven't done much on the E30 in a while.
            I've changed the oil and oil filter after having done about 5600km/3500miles. When I worked on my central locking previously, I got the blinking SRS light after start up..
            I searched quite a bit online but couldn't find a how to on resetting that pesky blinking light. That's until a member posted a thread here on how to reset it. After trying it the first time it was still on/blinking, luckily on the second try I was able to reset it.

The aftermarket sunroof handle started to sag too, turns out the metal is so cheap/weak that it bends open and the handle won't snap into the little holes so it just hangs down after operating the sunroof. By removing it and putting it in the bench vise I got it to snap back.

Still need to find some time to mount the ZKW foglights I got, the new sunroof seals and wiring harness for my driver side door.

At last I also got myself this 'thing'
            370mm M tech 2 steering wheel with it's original box

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

hi nice to meet you :)
              WordPress Forms - WordPress Photo Gallery

Comment

This week I received my M tech 2 steering wheel. I think it's so cool that it still has it's original packaging. I ordered the specific spacer to mount the steering wheel at the dealer. Hopefully it'll get there soon so I can finally fit the steering wheel :)

I also had to take the E30 to it's yearly inspection. The guys at the inspection facility just love these old cars, they were very friendly. They were impressed, especially when they saw it was a ix. The Touring passed the inspection with zero remaks.

I also got my new used fog lights mounted, after a little bit of fiddling to get the old screws removed I had them mounted with new hardware as the original ones were quite rusty. While being there, I removed and tested my horns and it turns out only one is working. That's why the horns sounds so dumb/weak.

Finally, no more cracked but working fog lights!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

That NOS wheel is so cool, what an awesome find :up:

Comment

just read entire thread, good work, love the sheet metal patches and welding.

if you need shift boots let me know

awesome stuff

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Great job, keep at it. Great progress, I love reading these threads.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                        That NOS wheel is so cool, what an awesome find :up:
                        Thanks man! Although it's not 100% NOS as it has been used before, it's still in like new condition. :)
                        Got an email from my local dealer and they received the spacer. I will get it tomorrow and might even start fitting the wheel.

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                        just read entire thread, good work, love the sheet metal patches and welding.

if you need shift boots let me know

awesome stuff
                        Thanks Matt! It takes quite a bit of patience forming all of those pieces :p

I'll look into it, I was looking into getting an other shift boot anyway.

Originally posted by Echo30V View Post
                        Great job, keep at it. Great progress, I love reading these threads.
                        Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for reading!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Today I got my M-tech 2 steering wheel installed. I had bought non airbag switches before buying the M-tech wheel. So I first removed those.

After removing the knee panel trim and lower steering wheel cover I was able to remove the plugs for the blinker- and windscreen wiper switches.

I then removed the locking pin of the airbag wheel, just by gripping it with a plier and pulling on it.

New switches installed, I did notice one of the plugs was different. Both has male connections. Not wanting to fuck up my original wiring harness I cut the plug of the switch off and soldered new plugs on.

I didn't have small heatshrink so some electrical tape will have to do for now.

Everything installed, glad I got other switches as there is quite the difference between the airbag and non airbag ones. It's not too big of a hassle to switch these out

Finally installed :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Beautiful! That steering wheel looks FANTASTIC!

Comment

Nice updates, love the new tech-2
                              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

So clean and mint condition...i love station wagon E30's!!!

Congratulations!!! :bow:

Comment

Working...
                                X