This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the update!

Remote reserivor seems like the best option.
    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
      So I was able to install the e90 booster. It was a tight fit getting it in. I needed to move the fuse box over, remove DISA, and lift that side of the engine up an inch or so to get it in. Fits like a glove. The reservoir will interfere with the DISA, so I am looking into solutions....could do remote, modify existing reservoir, or find something that will fit. Since the E90 Mcylinder has the outlets on the wrong side, I ordered a used X3 MC that has the right side outlets, and is looking like the existing lines might even fit with a little persuasion.

So far, seems like one of the better solutions, as the parts can be found cheaply on ebay, and the booster should have better capacity than the VW/944/2002 ones.
      Awesome update! I like this solution. I am a little slow what does the DISA do?
      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

DISA is the electronic flapper valve that fits into the intake manifold. It changes the intake manifold runner length to optimize it depending upon rpm. It is located right next to where the brake fluid reservoir sits on the master cylinder hence the problem.

Comment

Hakentt Jetta booster mod seems to be the best option. Assist is identical to stock E30 unit. Maybe I should make a bunch and sell them. bolts right up and clears everything

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
            Hakentt Jetta booster mod seems to be the best option. Assist is identical to stock E30 unit. Maybe I should make a bunch and sell them. bolts right up and clears everything

Thats not an S54 though right, is the intake smaller?

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
              So I was able to install the e90 booster. It was a tight fit getting it in. I needed to move the fuse box over, remove DISA, and lift that side of the engine up an inch or so to get it in. Fits like a glove. The reservoir will interfere with the DISA, so I am looking into solutions....could do remote, modify existing reservoir, or find something that will fit. Since the E90 Mcylinder has the outlets on the wrong side, I ordered a used X3 MC that has the right side outlets, and is looking like the existing lines might even fit with a little persuasion.

So far, seems like one of the better solutions, as the parts can be found cheaply on ebay, and the booster should have better capacity than the VW/944/2002 ones.
              nice! Did you have to mod anything or did it just bolt up?

Is the E90/X3 MC similar in size as the E30s?

I wonder if it's possible to use the brake pressure sensors with these so you could update to at least an E46 M3's ABS/DSC setup. I've had parts for that forever but no solution for the sensors on the MC..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The booster basically bolts right up. It only has two bolts in diagonal instead of the 4 on the e30 booster to body connection. The clevis connection on the other end is non-adjustable, but it is the correct length.

The e90/x3 MC's are much shorter than the earlier MC's. Look up on ebay to see a pic.

I have now seen 3 different variants of the reservoir, and I'm sure there are more.

The e90 reservoir is angled, so that it sits level in an e90 install where the booster tilts. So in our situation, since the booster is level, the reservoir will tilt, and so the full capacity will be somewhat diminished....not really an issue considering how large it is. I was able to get it in on the M54/E30 setup I have, by jacking up the engine during install. However, in order to remove the DISA in the future, it will require removing the reservoir.

I will be getting the X3 MC and reservoir later this week, and so it will be interesting to see if that reservoir fits better. It is not angled, so it will sit level as intended.

Another option is a later 5 series (2011 and later). It looks like it might work, as its taller, and less wide.

Anyway, I am trying to avoid a remote reservoir setup, and so it looks like atleast the e90 will work so far.

By the way, this booster is replacing the Hakentt jetta booster I was using. I was not happy with the pedal feel. I had it paired up with a 750 MC, and the e46 big brake setup, so my situation is not a stock setup.

I'll get some more pics once its all setup and running.

Finally, the e46 MC with brake pressure sensors might fit on this booster. Pretty sure the bolt spacing is the same.

Chris

Comment

Sorry, I meant the piston diameter of the MC - IIRC the E30 is 13/16? If the E9x is similar thats even better.

Great to hear it pretty much bolts up. As far as the resivior, remote options are not a big deal - nothing like an entire remote booster setup!

The E46 DSC system uses a secondary port on the MC for the pressure sensors. I think the E9x is similar, and even though I own one I never looked too closely at the brake system.

FWIW, the E90 brakes are fantastic - those cars, especially the early N/A versions, are much underappreciated by BMW enthusiasts. Nothing reminds me more of my E30 when I first got it than my 330i - even if the E90 is much faster (for now).
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Looks like X3 uses a 25/22. E30 uses a 22/19 or something like that.

Interesting about the E90. Have you not sold yours yet? Looks like a great car. I have an E46 with the blinking headlight syndrome. Other than that its a great commuter!
                    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

no, we sold our E91 for an X5 - but I'm keeping the 330i until it dies, which will probably be never. The only things it seems to need are gas, oil changes and an occasional bath. :p

Hmm, so it's a little bigger diameter. I guess if you go with a BBK, you could get something sized to match.

Looks like most of them are all 25/22 - PN 34336785664 was used on everything from the 127d to the 335i. Maybe something from the E46 would be better, it looks like it's 22/20 - much closer to the stock E30 one.
                      Last edited by nando; 09-20-2017, 07:26 AM.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        no, we sold our E91 for an X5 - but I'm keeping the 330i until it dies, which will probably be never. The only things it seems to need are gas, oil changes and an occasional bath. :p

Hmm, so it's a little bigger diameter. I guess if you go with a BBK, you could get something sized to match.

Looks like most of them are all 25/22 - PN 34336785664 was used on everything from the 127d to the 335i. Maybe something from the E46 would be better, it looks like it's 22/20 - much closer to the stock E30 one.
                        Which X5 did you get?

Comment

E70 4.8is
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

E70 4.8is
                            Love the E70 4.8i. I actually like the E70 styling, especially in MSport better then our F15.

Comment

The E46 DSC system uses a secondary port on the MC for the pressure sensors. I think the E9x is similar, and even though I own one I never looked too closely at the brake system.
                              I don't think it is actually. From what I remember, with the MK60E / MK60E5 system, the pressure sensors are now directly built into the module (the "e" is supposed to mean integrated sensors, and the "5" is supposed to be a reference to 5 sensors... I guess 1 for each brake and 1 for the input pressure?).

Comment

Good to know, I had a feeling you would respond to this thread, lol. I think the E9x MC is too big anyway - the E46 non-M looks like it would be a good fit though.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X