Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Schwarz 325is

Hello everyone!

I just recently became a proud owner of my first E30. I was able to grab it here in Little Rock with 227k on the working odometer. I’m the fourth owner of the car and unfortunately the PO did not have any records from the other owners. This alone would dissuade a lot of people from even considering the car—especially with the mileage—but it was everything I had been looking for in an E30: late model coupe, schwarz, and leather interior with sport seats.

Even though the PO did not have any records from before his ownership, he said the owner before him had done a lot of work to the car as he was a “bmw guy.” From what I have been able to see, I can tell that the following has been added:

Bilstein shocks
    Sport springs (all I can tell is that they’re blue)
    Front and rear sway bar (also blue)
    Dinan strut tower brace
    K&N filter
    16x7.5 TSW Hockenheim R’s
    Supersprint muffler

Mechanically this thing is in great shape. I’ve done some routine maintenance things already (oil change, valve cover gasket, spark plugs), have replaced the blower motor, FPR return fuel line, and M50 injectors are on their way. The only real problems are a little rust and various cosmetic issues. The body is pretty solid with only minimal rust on the lower corner of the driver side front fender, the lowest corner of the rear apron on the driver’s side, and the back end of the battery tray. However, a lot of the under body components I listed above have a ton of surface rust.

Worst of all is the Supersprint muffler:

I’m assuming this is too far gone to repair. Should I be worried about the shocks?

I’ve also been fixing/replacing the cosmetic issues, which will continue for the next several months. Engine wise I’m really just going to do a Miller MAF conversion with a Kamotors intake. Eventually—I mean years from now—I think I’ll do a 24v swap.

The first fix I wanted to tackle was replacing the dash. I would have been fine if all that was wrong with it were cracks, however, the PO decided to rino line the dash in an attempt to cover the cracks. I couldn't stand looking at it for more than 5 minutes, so after I found a pristine used one for $200 I went ahead and ripped the old one out:

And installed the new one along with a new boot set from MT shift boots, momo anatomic long shift knob, e36 leather ebrake handle, and momo mod 07 steering wheel.

Comment

Looks good, keep working on it. I'm sure it'll turn out even better!
      Current
      BMW M3 2006 ZCP 6-Speed Manual T.Silver/M-Texture Alcantara
      BMW 325iX 1988 5-Speed Manual Red/Black

Past
      BMW M3 2003 SMGII T.Silver/Black *SOLD*

Comment

That rhino lined dash makes my butt clench
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by ZuS View Post
          Looks good, keep working on it. I'm sure it'll turn out even better!
          Thanks! It's hard to see all the cosmetic issues and try not to fix them all at once. I guess the lack of on-hand funds help us to be patient. The two main eye sores (after the old dash) are the drivers seat and the cracked rear bumper cover. The hood needs repainting as well, but I'd like to redo the entire car so I may just wait until that is feasible and live with the fading for now.

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          That rhino lined dash makes my butt clench
          I know right. When I first saw it I couldn't stop screaming in my head. I remember bringing it up to the PO and I could tell that he had envisioned it turning out a lot better than it did and was enormously regretful of his decision.

Comment

After seeing the dashboard, wondering what else was done by the PO that would be of a concern.

Comment

So it's been about a year since my last post, but I'm coming along with my project. In the last year I've done the following:
              • Valve cover gasket
              • Spark plugs + distributor cap and rotor
              • SI board batteries
              • Fuel injectors replaced with rebuilt M50 injectors
              • Blower motor and resistor
              • Auxiliary fan resistor
              • Timing belt service (AC/PS/Alt belts, water pump, thermostat, coolant, PS belt tensioner bracket)
              • Cleaned ICV and replaced fuel line to FPR
              • Various interior trim parts

However, the most significant part of this restoration so far would be the conversion of my worn out leather upholstery to full OEM Uberkaro. Over the course of 6 months I was able to source the rear seat covers from Latvia and the two sport seat covers from different sellers in Germany. I just installed the passenger seat yesterday, so I snapped a few pics of my interior as it now sits:

The covers are pretty much perfect, but the back seat does have a small hole in the lower corner (just out of the shot in the last picture, but can be seen in the 2nd behind the passenger seat). My next step is to get the body sorted out, but it will be a few months before I can afford a full respray. The hood has fading/flaking clear coat and crow's feet are almost entirely covering my roof. I also need to replace the rear bumper cover and trim as it was cracked to shit by the previous owner.
              Last edited by twiggletwaggle; 09-07-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

hey mate, do you sharing your sources in Germany and LAtvia?

I know it's a long shot since my interior is beige Uberkaro, but i've been trying to find the last 2 covers I need to complete my set for he last 2.5 years....

Great progress by the way. Keep it up!

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Infini View Post
                  hey mate, do you sharing your sources in Germany and LAtvia?

I know it's a long shot since my interior is beige Uberkaro, but i've been trying to find the last 2 covers I need to complete my set for he last 2.5 years....

Great progress by the way. Keep it up!

Thanks.
                  The guy in Latvia is on r3v. His username is Inturisto. I kept searching on www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de to find the sport seat covers. However, one of the guys specializes in selling rare E30 parts and you can find him on Instagram @dimitri_e3x_originals .

Oh I also bought some extra Uberkaro covers (upper Cabrio back seat, upper sport seat, 3 bolsters, headrest) from Brutus here on r3v. He's in England and may have more covers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by twiggletwaggle; 09-11-2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

those sport seats look fantastic. By far my favorite interior.

Nicely done

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
                      those sport seats look fantastic. By far my favorite interior.

Nicely done
                      Thanks man! It's definitely my favorite as well, with purple MTech coming in a close second.

Comment

Uberkaro:coolphoto:

Comment

oh god that dash looks like complete aids, I've got a few cracks in mine....I'm fairly hesitant to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Lahey View Post
                            oh god that dash looks like complete aids, I've got a few cracks in mine....I'm fairly hesitant to replace it.
                            Yup, it was truly an abomination.

Replacing the dash isn't too terrible, just time consuming. There's just a lot of screws and clips so keep track of everything.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X