What wheel size and brake combo for 300hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have started my e30 journey. I've decided to swap a m62 into my car but won't be doing the swap for a few more years or at least until I get out of college. I've decided to build up the car to handle the power first. I was thinking I start with upgrading the brakes and putting bigger wheels and tires. Not sure if I should go 5 lug or not to get bigger brakes or should I stick with the 4? How wide of a tire do I need if I plan to make 300hp? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Going to do a 302 swap instead. The purpose of the build is to make a some what comfortable ride that I could still take to the track or go have some fun in the mountains. This is my daily driver so im leaning on having a trackable street car.
    Last edited by erynapolean777; 09-21-2017, 07:02 AM.
    1986 325es(Possible race car?)
    1987 325e (the show car)
    1992 525it (the new daily)

1987 325e (the show car)

Comment

There are so many options, it's hard to say exactly. You will get a lot of opinions.

I have an s54 swapped 89 325i, and I run 4-lug. I have 205s on my car, and there is enough grip that I don't break them loose all of the time. I will go 225 the next time I get new tires. Without fender flares, it's difficult to get bigger than 225 without rubbing, but I would refer you to the thread by Mystikal which has a ton of information regarding tire and wheel fitment.

As far as brakes - I have UUC BBK on the front and stock rears. Initially, it was awful. Probably worse than stock, but recently the shop that did the swap had Carbotech make some pads for those calipers and it is a world of difference. Much better pedal feel, much better bite. Stopping power more appropriate for the HP in the car.

I almost went 5-lug, but already had the UUC BBK on there, so decided to hold off once this solution presented itself.

At one point I spoke to Massive Lee and he suggested the biggest BBK that he makes and upgraded rears to deal with the increased HP. Also you have the advantage of more options for brake pads.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sklbase View Post
        There are so many options, it's hard to say exactly. You will get a lot of opinions.

I have an s54 swapped 89 325i, and I run 4-lug. I have 205s on my car, and there is enough grip that I don't break them loose all of the time. I will go 225 the next time I get new tires. Without fender flares, it's difficult to get bigger than 225 without rubbing, but I would refer you to the thread by Mystikal which has a ton of information regarding tire and wheel fitment.

As far as brakes - I have UUC BBK on the front and stock rears. Initially, it was awful. Probably worse than stock, but recently the shop that did the swap had Carbotech make some pads for those calipers and it is a world of difference. Much better pedal feel, much better bite. Stopping power more appropriate for the HP in the car.

I almost went 5-lug, but already had the UUC BBK on there, so decided to hold off once this solution presented itself.

At one point I spoke to Massive Lee and he suggested the biggest BBK that he makes and upgraded rears to deal with the increased HP. Also you have the advantage of more options for brake pads.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I was worried if I went with a brake kit what my rotor and pad options would be like. I would think sticking with oem pads and rotors would be cheaper but I'm not 100% sure on difference in prices.
        1987 325e (the show car)

Comment

I had an S52 E30 that was supercharged for a while.

I had 5 lug, with E36 M3 brakes up front and 318ti stuff in the rear.

Tires were Dunlop Direzza ZII's in the 225 width.

Traction, both at launch and under heavy braking, was not an issue at all. The amount of stopping power, and the subsequent forces on my body, were always astounding.

Also, didn't have to replace brake pads at all in the 9 years of ownership. I did a lot of engine braking, and the pads never looked used.

My 2 cents.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
          X