Starter Problem(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Problem(s)

After swapping a g240 transmission because of a bad 2nd gear ive run into nothing but problems with starters.
    The pin on the bellhouse of the new transmission (seen here):
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

is bigger than the hole on the top of my starter. on my original starter I decided the bore out the hole so it fit over the pin, and that worked to get the starter on, but it makes a horrendous sound when starting (heard here):

so I assume that its not where its supposed to be and something is wrong.

after ordering a new refurbished starter and having the same issue I decided that maybe I could force it over the pin. Bad idea. A few hammer taps later and the hoop on the starter broke off.

So, mostly I'm confused, and not really sure what to do. Has anyone experienced this before?

I'd suggest double checking the part number. That video you posted sounded like the teeth on the starter isn't meshing very well with the flywheel.. Also if you trying to re use the broken starter, double check if the pinion gear can be pulled in and out relatively freely. That might fix the sound its making. Or maybe even trying our this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-RzcsdFoRQ .

This is where my in experience kicks in lol-- do you know if M42 car starters are suppose to be shimmed? I know other cars there is a spec of gear engagement clearance, and that might change how the starter sits in the transmission. Good luck with the fix!

Comment

Working...
    X