Steering rack hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering rack hose

Long story short I lost power steering on my vert nearly 5 years ago. I assumed it was a seal so I cut the belt and lived with manual steering as a poor and uneducated college student for about 2 years (occasionally adding fluid to the res.). After those 2 years the car sat in storage until last year (5 years of sitting).

I am now sorting out the car and kept finding ATF on the oil pan. I noticed a small, 7-8 inch piece or hose running from one part of the rack to another and one end is off (seems to have shrunken from heat so it will need replaced). I have drawn in red the hose in question.

Would that hose leak fluid majorly with the pump running? I added fluid and it doesn't really seem to leak all at once but if you work the rack, it seeps a bit. I figure that might have been my problem all along. Anyone think its worth replacing the hose, throwing on a belt and see what happens?
    Attached Files

Couldn't hurt. I wondered the same thing on the e36 rack i got. That hose was BARELY on there, i used some zip ties to make sure it stayed in place. Haven't lost a drop.

Comment

Working...
    X