Ix registration help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ix registration help

Hey guys, I recently bought an 88 ix, and I'm having some trouble getting the car to pass emissions. This is the last year the car has to pass before I can register the car as a classic in Utah.

The car passes it's co2 emissions, but has high hydrocarbons due to excess gas in the exhaust. The previous owner says the car is chipped, and this may be why it's running rich, as the plugs and wires are in great condition, and the airfilter is nearly perfect.

The ECU in it now is a green label, but I've got a blue label Ecu that wouldn't be chipped from my automatic 1989 ix. Is it alright to switch the ECU's?
    Do you guys have any ideas on what will help me pass? Maybe a new cat? I'm lost on the subject and the inspection guys were not helpful at all.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    sigpic1989 325i Cirrusblau Sedan-Sold
    1989 BMW 325ix-Sold
    1991 325ix-Sold
    1988 325iX-

it will be fine. Any M20B25 Motronic 1.1 or 1.3 will work.

if it's high HC I'd look for vac leaks and the condition of your O2 sensor. Also the FPR could be bad or leaking. It wouldn't be the cat - high HC means it's running too rich, the cat can't help that.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Awesome pic. I love the rainbow.

Not helpful comment coming:

Oh man, you can pass an 88 as a classic? Fucking California is keeping their stupid 1975 rule. Anything built after that will have to get smogged just like every other car.

Comment

yeah I forgot to mention that's a great pic - love the wheels too!
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Esm-001. They are out of 4x100. :-(
          AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
          X