X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Sept '17 - Diag Rough Throttle / Power Loss

In case embedded video doesn't work:
    https://youtu.be/CekxsksSero

Diag my E30: Experiencing rough idle and power loss under throttle after replacing timing belt, water pump, tensioner, and fuel filter. I made the mistake of replacing the fuel filter at the same time, so it's hard to tell where I messed up. The ticking noise is from a rocker hitting a stuck intake valve. Intake valve will open but only half closes. I suspect it's been stuck open for a while as I've had a minor cyclical power loss under throttle for years. It's most likely due to the lack of compression from the stuck open intake valve. So the intake valve is not the issue as it pre-dates the current symptoms.

At first getting it back together and turn the ignition, I thought I didn't having my timing marks aligned properly, so I tore it apart to check and they were both still on. This is the 3rd timing belt I've put on this car in its lifetime and I'm really not sure where I went wrong on this last job.

Also, I suspect my fuel pump is a turd and in need of replacement.

After confirming the timing belt was on mark, I reset all of the valve timing to 0.10 which is when I discovered the stuck valve.
Working...
X