need help, maybe vss signal or voltage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help, maybe vss signal or voltage?

I am chasing an issue to what seems to be a vss issue. I have the gauge cluster c3 plug (yellow), pin 26 br/rd wire hooked up to the x20 wire relating to pin 14 direct to the dme. While WOT, the car falls flat at 6k. It doesn't bounce like a rev limiter but feels more like a soft fuel cut. If I give half throttle, it will rev well past 6k.

I don't have a scope but tried checking the voltage coming from the cluster. It reads steady at 0.85 volts when the car is running, rolling - any speed. Does this sound right? Is this a valid way to check it? The car idles steady at 600 and the torque feels decent up to 5.5-6k rpm.

Back story: When i finished my s50 to 87 325e swap, the car had minimal low end and didn't feel "fun" until 4k to 6k. It rev'd to 7k but didn't really seem like much was going on after 6k. I went to the CA ref for smog and failed pretty horribly.

To improve chances of getting through smog, I then replaced the vanos seals and found the intake cam was not in sync with the exhaust cam slots, meaning there wasn't full travel of the vanos as far as i know. I replaced the seals, adjusted the intake cam, buttoned up vanos and went for a drive. The engine idled better and had better torque down low but now doesn't like to be rev'd passed 6k at WOT. I am fairly certain the vanos was installed correctly and the car runs fine other than the 6k+ power loss.

Fuel pressure was 43psi and increased to 50ish with throttle input. I did not test it actually driving under load though.

As preventative maintenance, it has relatively new plugs, fuel injectors, TPS, KS, cleaned ICV and MAF. One more thing is that I get a code intermittently for c9 Lambda control when I remove battery or dme.
    Last edited by jayuuey; 09-22-2017, 05:30 PM.

Found this under the fuel injector harness cover. The resistor looks to be intact though the rubber is crackly. Could this cause any issues?

diagram

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

For closure, the issue here was my reman fuel injectors from eBay. Swapped them and the car runs as it should. Lesson learned, just because a part is 'new', doesnt mean its good.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X