DIY Lukebox Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by george graves View Post
    IMHO......the "luke box" was an over-marketed, over hyped, one-size-fits-all, prefab compromise, that worked with most/some woofers decently.

It was fed down everyone's throats by a guy who became a mod, saw the opportunity to make money, use and abused his moderator position to promote it and then squelch anyone that said something negative that he didn't like.

(ok, now that I have that out of my system - here's some advice)

The smart money is deciding if you want ported or sealed: Generally, if you like tight and punchy, go sealed. If you like it loose and loud, go ported. Take that with a grain of salt. It's not a hard and fast rule, but a good starting point - each of us lean a certain way- but you can have a bit of both with either.

Most people start by picking ported or sealed, and picking a woofer, and building a box to match that woofer. It's all just some research, and a box calculator(free online) and some MDF. In about an hour you can learn alot on YOUTUBE.

Every woofer will have a bunch of specs that are intimidating at first, but it's just a numbers that physically describe the woofer. You punch those into a calculator(most have a list so you don't have to even put them in), and it will spit out the volume of the box and port length (that is needed if you choose ported. )

The fun thing about building your own box is if you really screw up, you can modify it. Or if you really mess up just start over. A sheet of MDF is about $22 last I looked, and you can get 2 boxes out of one. So it's $11 to learn. The woofer and the amp, and everything can be reused.

If you really want to copy luke box, and I'm not sure why you would, but there are a few dozen pictures online (check his photobucket) that will get you 99% there. But, while you're building a box, you might as well do it right. Just my 2 cents.
    Appreciate your opinion! I need to do some research on box design and what with work best with a 10" kappa sub. Someone reached out to me in PM stating that he bought a lukebox for $600 back in the day and wanted $600 for it now. My jaw almost dropped as I know the cost of Mdf (cheap) and ability to read/learn (free).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

That person is blowing smoke up your ass. If sub boxes were worth $600, I'd be making 10 a day and quit my day job.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        IMHO......the "luke box" was an over-marketed, over hyped, one-size-fits-all, prefab compromise, that worked with most/some woofers decently.

It was fed down everyone's throats by a guy who became a mod, saw the opportunity to make money, use and abused his moderator position to promote it and then squelch anyone that said something negative that he didn't like.
        what happened to him? I hadn't realized he hasn't posted in over a year?
        1991 318is ---230K - DD
        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
            what happened to him? I hadn't realized he hasn't posted in over a year?
            There is a FB group decided to people discussing getting "Duped By Luke" if that gives you any idea.

Comment

I kinda agree with you George. I ran a Luke box in one of my coupes and my own boxes in one coupe and one vert. I much prefer the sound of the boxes I built versus the one I bought. They just weren't the "magic" they were made out to be. Was a little muddy and inaccurate in my application. The boxes I built were sealed rather than ported, sealed to the back wall and fired into the cabin. They are/were much more accurate, tight, and clean.

Actually, I need to post a vert sound system build thread.
              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
              -----------------------------------------
              91 318is Turbo Sold
              87 325 Daily driver Sold
              06 4.8is X5
              06 Mtec X3
              05 4.4i X5 Sold
              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
              90 325i Sold
              97 328is Sold
              01 323ci Sold
              92 325i Sold
              83 528e Totaled
              98 328i Sold
              93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                I kinda agree with you George. I ran a Luke box in one of my coupes and my own boxes in one coupe and one vert. I much prefer the sound of the boxes I built versus the one I bought. They just weren't the "magic" they were made out to be. Was a little muddy and inaccurate in my application. The boxes I built were sealed rather than ported, sealed to the back wall and fired into the cabin. They are/were much more accurate, tight, and clean.

Would you be able to share your dimensions?

Comment

Originally posted by jjc034 View Post
                  Would you be able to share your dimensions?
                  Sure, if I can find the piece of paper I did the drawing on. It's setup for my specific sub though, you'd have to adjust the size to suit yours.

I'll make a thread this week sometime.
                  "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                  91 318is Turbo Sold
                  87 325 Daily driver Sold
                  06 4.8is X5
                  06 Mtec X3
                  05 4.4i X5 Sold
                  90 325i Sold
                  97 328is Sold
                  01 323ci Sold
                  92 325i Sold
                  83 528e Totaled
                  98 328i Sold
                  93 325i Sold

Comment

Thank you! I really appreciate it!
                    Sure, if I can find the piece of paper I did the drawing on. It's setup for my specific sub though, you'd have to adjust the size to suit yours.

I'll make a thread this week sometime.

Comment

I can send you dimmensions of the vert Luke box later tonight, it’s out of my car so it’s super easy for me.

Comment

Do it :)

Comment

Anyone selling a vert Luke box?
                          "Driving anything else would be uncivilised"

Comment

I’d love to see how you did your vert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Everytime I see Luke’s name it pisses me off. He ripped me of $550 and left me in the dust. He purposely stayed in contact until it was too late to file a PayPal claim. Piece of shit guy. His boxes are nothing insane.

You can easily build them for $50 and a weekend of measuring.

Comment

Originally posted by Five5peed View Post
                                I’d love to see how you did your vert.

Just finished uploading the images. I'll create a thread after the son unit goes down for his nap.
                                91 318is Turbo Sold
                                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                                06 4.8is X5
                                06 Mtec X3
                                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                                90 325i Sold
                                97 328is Sold
                                01 323ci Sold
                                92 325i Sold
                                83 528e Totaled