Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    you think this would fix it or na?

Garagistic is your one-stop source to performance BMW parts. From Grip, street, show or drift, we got the parts your BMW needs. We carry BMW parts for your E30, E36, E46, E82, E92 and much more!

Definitely a good idea.

Comment

And definitely going to want to clean up all the cracked areas that will need to be welded. Not to mention you may discover other cracks to be welded. All cracks should have stop holes drill too to keep them traveling after welded. Slow welding, lowest heat possible as the metal is already fatigued and could just crack again later.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Over the course of the last year, I have taken 3 of my cars to Randy's for work.  I started with my S54 M coupe: subframe reinforcement, upg...

The z3 bois look like they cut out the top and spot weld reinforcement plates as well.
        This job is going to be super shitty..

Comment

Holy shit, that is quite the project. Is that how you are attacking this?
          sigpic
          1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

probably this piece of shit is still going to keep breaking if its just welded back up like stock.

Comment

I've never seen an e30 fail like the Z3's do, where the whole rail pulls down/separates. That's why Randy goes to that extent. With e30's it seems to always just be the tabs and maybe a vertical crack in the rail at the tab. Obviously doesn't hurt to overbuild though.

One thing I noticed is that your stock rubber diff bushing is torn on the bottom, separated from the outer race. Mine was too. I got under there with a pry bar and pulled down on the diff, it easily pulled down, the rubber bushing was just pivoting and smashing around that outer race. I think what happens, is when you shift hard, launch, etc... the diff actually gets some momentum with the bushing not doing anything, and then it finally catches and it's almost like an impact on those tabs, especially when you wheel hop. I bet that's what does the damage we see.

Here's a video of mine with the worn rubber bushing. Check out the diff movement.

First clip is with a 4.5" 600lb/in spring, 2nd clip is with a 4" 825lb/in spring. Static ride height was set the same for both. Notice the Bilstein sticker o...

I swapped in an 80A poly mount, the diff doesn't move at all, it's 100% solid. I welded up the cracks and am just going to see how it holds up. If it fails again, I'll do some reinforcing and/or a 2nd mount.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I'm still curios how much of a culprit 30 year old worn out subframe bushings contribute to these failure on the E30.

My solution on my car. Overkill for stock level of power and grip.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

E30 diff mount by jet jones, on Flickr
                  E30 shitty diff mount by jet jones, on Flickr
                  E30 diff sux by jet jones, on Flickr
                  Diff support by jet jones, on Flickr

also, don't think u can pop out the spot welds and it falls off.
                  that muther fucker was glued on there like a bitch. need to cut it out.

E30 diff mount by jet jones, on Flickr
                  Last edited by LowR3V'in; 10-23-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

LOL, you carefully drilled out all of those spot welds, then had to cut it out anyway. Sorry, just sounds like something that would happen to me hahaha.

Are you just doing the single mount again, or e36 dual ear?

Comment

ya it was $15 w/ring.

E36 diff cover by jet jones, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post

I can't believed that structural member would break in half like that.
                        sigpic
                        327is
                        325es
                        325es
                        318is
                        Fiesta ST
                        E46 M3

Comment

Sweet. Make sure you post up when done, I'd like to know how you went about getting the diff ear mounting tab location figured out, trigger wheel swapped, etc...

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
                          I can't believed that structural member would break in half like that.
                          It starts as a small crack. Mine started where a hole was drilled in the cross member. As it flexes up and down every single time you go on and off the throttle, it just keeps bending, weakening, tearing more. It's not a single 'break'.

Comment

yup, i've noticed the split some years ago but.. ya know.

shitting blood for a year then going to the doc him saying you have cancer
                            could of been treatable acouple months ago. too bad so sad. imagine.
                            not me but sorta what this diff situation is.

speed ring is pretty easy to tap on/off.

E36 speed ring by jet jones, on Flickr

just mark the spacer orientation
                            pop out of sides and the diff pulls out.

Marked position by jet jones, on Flickr
                            3.23 by jet jones, on Flickr

now i'm having trouble finding proper spot to put the mounting point.
                            this is how i sorta am eye balling the situation. i don't want to fuck up the angle.
                            advice?

How do I mount this by jet jones, on Flickr'

there is a huge amount of play up/down
                            i can jack it up where the subframe hits the trunk and lifts the car or leave the diff drop and it's pointing like super angled down.
                            bushings are ie blue bois.
                            Last edited by LowR3V'in; 10-30-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

make top of subframe parallel to trunk floor.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Diff mount by jet jones, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X