numbers on the block hartge h26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numbers on the block hartge h26

Some one from Poland is asking about the numbers on my hartge engine.
    I see a large 2.7 on the block and 17140 H-26 hartge on the head. Also,
    the head has the number 84 with arrows in a circle around the 84.
    My question is: This is a 323 euro car. Is it possible Hartge put a 2.7 block in
    this car along with all their other upgrades? Would this be a stroker motor?
    thanks for any help,
    jm

This is where pictures tell a thousand words...

your head was cast in (however many dots are showing = month) 1984.

the 2.7 cast into the block may mean it was an eta block- or not.
    The machining that is done to the casting after it cools defines what it really is.
    And it doesn't tell you what crank is in it. It's just a casting number that
    identifies what casting was used. And if you find the date code, approximately
    when it was cast.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      This is where pictures tell a thousand words...

your head was cast in (however many dots are showing = month) 1984.

the 2.7 cast into the block may mean it was an eta block- or not.
      The machining that is done to the casting after it cools defines what it really is.
      And it doesn't tell you what crank is in it. It's just a casting number that
      identifies what casting was used. And if you find the date code, approximately
      when it was cast.

t
      Sounds like I would have take the engine apart to really know.:)
      thanks for the reply,
      jm

Comment

Hi John.

Hartge would stamp their motors on heads. On my old 1984 Hartge H26 said Hartge H26 on head. On old Hartge would have BMW vin tag. My was original 323i. The Hartge cars H23,H26 and H27 would not have the Hartge red vin tag. Only the H28, H35 and H35-24. The last 4 Hartge H35-24 e30 m3 blue Hartge vin tags.
        Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Concur, the only Hartge marking on the engine itself of my H5S was on the head.

Comment

thnaks

Thanks for the replies: My head has the h26 hartge stamped on it, but I am also wondering
            if the 2.7 on the block would mean a possible stroker motor. My old 82 323i had 2.3 on the block.
            thanks,
            jm

Comment

Maybe Im wrong, but I thought the 2.3 casting meant 80mm Bore, whereas the 2.7 meant 84mm Bore
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

think you are right

I was thinking hartge took the block out and put a 2.7 in. What would be the reason if they were not going to build a stoker motor...the internet information says they did this with the h26, but who knows without taking it all apart.
                thanks,
                jm

Comment

2.7 was on the B27 and B25. Not sure though about the first year "528" that BMW put in the E28's. It was the High Compression motor that was like a one year thing.. Could Hartge have grabbed those blocks as well?

That's where it's easier with Alpina since they stamped both the head AND the block.
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

that would be great

I wish it was a hc motor:).
                    Sad but hartge did not keep records and Kohl has not replied yet to other questions about this car they built.
                    thanks for the replies; who knows; can't take it apart to check the motor:)
                    jm

Comment

What's the build date on the block. It's right above the starter near where the block meets the head. Uses the day / month / year format. If it was made after the build date of the car, you will know if it's been swapped.

You can borrow a borescope or even buy one for an iphone. Peek in from the drain plug. 2.7's had an "81" for the 81mm stroke cast into the crank.

Comment

thanks,

Will check the dates on the block in the morning.
                        thanks for the reply,
                        jm

Comment

Working...
                        X