No announcement yet.

'90 325i S52 to S54 '06 Z4M w/ ZF 6 Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, added the wires to cruise control, however confused about wiring the brake light switch and clutch in. The Z3M and E46 wiring is different, and wiring it wrong will burn the DME, but it may just be reading from a hall effect sensor instead of +12V... Gotta gather my thoughts and post. May skip cruise control for now because I want the clutch and brake disable, not programmed out. Either way, found out that the E46 M3 coolant to heater core line (part number soon on OP) works for both top and bottom. Been working hard, another 12 hours this weekend on the car and much to change as I don't want the screw down clamps like I have anywhere, want something nicer.

Comment

Alright, I think I got Cruise control and the CEL figured out.

Need the Z3M Cruise Control Module: 65718380054
      3 Pin Side: 1 to X60004 Pin 35, 2 to X60004 27, 3 to Switched Power

E30 Stalk
      Cancel Resume Decel Accel
      Pin:5 3 1 4

Z4 Cruise Module
      Decel Accel Resume Cancel
      Pin: 5 3 2 4

Therefore:
      E30 Cruise Stalk Z3 Cruise Module
      Pin:
      2-----------------1
      5-----------------4
      3-----------------2
      1-----------------5
      4-----------------3

CLUTCH AND BRAKE SWITCHES ARE VASTLY DIFFERENT ON Z3M!!! CLICK ON BELOW PICS FOR LARGE/CLEAR VERSIONS
      I think one can code out the brake, and brake light test switch (e30 is 1 pole switch, Z3M is 2 pole switch)
      Take a look at the pics, ask questions. I have not verified this yet, but I will try it. Others have reported that setting K_SKRAFTS_CONTROL to 0 works. I would prefer to use the clutch, but only if I can get to a junkyard and snip the chassis side plugs to the brake and clutch. (OR IF I CAN BUY THEM, but damnit BMW, you don't document the plugs and pins worth a damn!)

Last edited by R3Z3N; 10-14-2018, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Updated OP with heater core hoses used. Used 2x M3 hoses: 64-21-6-902-680

Sadly found out that with the intake air box on, the fuses won't snap on the rails. They will however stay on, and with the delrin engine mounts it wont rub, but the airbox sure is big....

Also, flipped the air box oil drain back to the oil pan, as that fits with Tylers (Arc Asylum's pan).

Comment

Added pics in OP of the coolant overflow piping to Z4M pipe. Used the orig quick disconnect to the metal pipe. You can also note the Power Steering Fluid Bottle relocation so that I do not have to reach under the airbox. PS bottle to Pump Inlet ->Pump Out to Rack In High Pressure -> Rack out low pressure to PS Oil Cooler Inlet -> PS Oil Cooler Outlet to PS Bottle

Last edited by R3Z3N; 10-08-2018, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Do you have photos of the heater core hoses hooked up? I'm trying to picture how those would go. I'm in the middle of hooking everything up on my S54 swap and I was trying to figure out what to do for those.

Also, which lower radiator hose did you use?

Comment

^I'll take pics for you and update them on the OP as well. As far as lower rad hose, not sure yet, I need to have my AC line remodified as it slightly in the way, or I can make my own just as you see the upper hose, which I will probably do.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate it. Your build it looking great and the amount of documentation you have provided is very helpful. I plan to put together a bit of a journal on mine once it is completed.

I am using a generic Gates 90 degree 1.5" ID hose for the upper rad hose, and I was planning on using an E36 hose for the lower radiator hose, except I'm having a hard time getting the one I bought to fit nicely, so I'm curious what others have done. I am using a Z3M S54 Radiator, and I have deleted the AC, so that is not an issue for me.

Comment

I also had issues running a OEM E36 lower radiator hose, because it needs to be trimmed to fit and I had to cut enough off it that it didn't want to slip on.

I am 95% certain that I used a Gates 22440 lower radiator hose and trimmed it to fit. It more or less occupies the same space as an OEM hose, but isn't necked down in the middle, so you can cut it to whatever length you desire.

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I just need a 90deg hose, no kink like stock as that is what is hitting my AC line. Still goal is to have off the shelf parts in case I am on track and have a problem, or just buy a trailer and stock it full of parts because I am a washed out pro-iracing-driver.

Comment

BTW feeling a bit peeved that the MSS54 community is relatively at the mercy of one gentleman who has software to identify the MSS54 software maps between versions.... I bought an MSS54HP v2501 and need an xdf or at least values for what you see in the OP. Having some luck finding by doing byte string searches/comparisons between bins, but when there is software that only 1 has....and he's MIA..... What happens 15yrs down the road when all the forums are gone to oblivion. I want backup DMEs STAT! ;-) Not that I need the XDF for tuning, but I do want the modifications I have noted. Ill document it better in the near future. Getting cross eyed. To those that have helped, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I try to share what I found out too and want to have the MSS54 and HP edits stickied in the S54 swap subsection.
                      Last edited by R3Z3N; 10-10-2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Gates 21794 is what I used for the upper rad hose. $7 on Rockauto and I just trimmed the ends to fit. Easy to get a spare if you need. IIRC my buddy found a 1.5" ID 90 degree hose for a dodge ram truck that he just trimmed to fit when he needed it in a pinch.

Are you suggesting to just use a 90 degree hose for the lower as well? I have an E36 lower rad hose that doesn't neck down in the middle. CONTINENTAL 62476 from rockauto, but the OD is quite thick and it is a pain to get it on the t-stat housing because I have the black coolant pip that runs behind it since I'm mounting my reservoir on the passenger side. The OE hoses are a bit thinner. Looks like maybe the Z3M S54 hose would fit better. 11531401726, apparently some people use that for swaps.

The MSS54 situation is quite frustrating, given the amount of knowledge that is out there it would be great if it could be more available. Hopefully it will get to that point soon. I will be making some changes to my DME for my swap shortly, and I only have an XDF for a different software version so I'll also be doing some bit string searches.

Comment

^Which DME version do you have? I have an XDF for MSS54 v2801 and full/partial bins, along with edits that others have helped me find as seen in post 1.

Comment

Added a few DME coding options to tune out gear sensor so that Cruise will work. Added pics in OP for requested Heater Core hoses to cabin. Wired in my brake light switch to pin 24 on X60004 and Sport mode switch.

Mounted my engine loom beauty cover and added the ODB port and Sport mode switch. I don't want another switch in the cabin. Switch is momentary with LED. Screw down hose clamps gotta go. I want something more OEM or prettier.

Comment

Nice work on the OBD port, do you have a part number for that? Also, where are you hiding the mess of relays and fuses on the o2 sensor harness? Do you just have them in the glovebox?

I ended up coming up with a lower radiator hose solution that I think will work nicely. I ended up cutting out one of the 90 degree bends from the E36 hose, turning the 90 degree bend coming out of the rad about 45 degrees, and connecting it to the other half using a generic 38mm coolant sensor housing. I wanted to have the option of installing a coolant sensor on the outlet of the radiator, so this worked out nicely, but may not be ideal for someone that doesn't want to chop up a radiator hose. I did multiple cuts to figure this out and it ended up kinda messy so I ordered another hose and I'll redo it more cleanly and post photos if you are interested. I think the Z3M S54 lower hose would probably be the best plug and play option, and it sounds like others have used that solution.

Comment

^The ODB port was part of Andrew's harness which are sold in the S54 subsection.

Comment

Working...
                                X