Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring a C101 Connector: Geting Pins, Crimpers and a Cheap Pin Removal Tool!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After prepping for a while, gathering all the Pins, buying the ratcheting crimper and finding a rectangular c101 and gutting it, I made an attempt today... The Pins I had were the female ones listed as the early rectangular c101 is different, but the pins also are different. The larger female ones seemed to work, but the smaller ones wouldnt fit inside the c101... Back to the drawing board...
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

How do u remove the female pins?

Comment

Originally posted by Chriskbmx View Post
        How do u remove the female pins?
        you can use a pin removal tool or buy a new c101 and make it easy on yourself
        Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
        Bimmerbuddies LLC
        717-388-1256
        2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
        bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

FYI PelicanParts says they have all the pieces needed.

Comment

I can't find the F connector anywhere now, anyone got any suggestions?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

Also unable to find these connectors. Any ideas on suitable replacements? I would like to avoid the high cost of the BMW tool.

Comment

I made a pin removal tool out of a piece of brake line. drilled out the center and ground down the outside to make the walls thinner, then jammed it into an old screwdriver handle.. I have a pic of it somewhere. Also for the crimper tools I have one of these http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Mac-Tools-TCT...-/111720544731

It does the crimps properly. Mac doesnt make it, so ive seen the same tool with various names on it. (guys should be able to find the same tool elsewhere)

Comment

And if you cant find new connectors, just rob them out of your old harness

Comment

I ended up making one of these out of a different F type connector:

On the left you can see the stock part, on the right you can see the modified one where we cut down the housing and ground down the center shaft a bit to allow it to slide into the pin housings.

Here is the part I used: https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717639045 I was able to find one in my local RadioShack but it looks like if you google the part number "2780224" you can find them elsewhere.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

I used my tool last night to pull apart my C101 and X20, worked perfectly! One thing that took me a little bit to figure out is that when turning the locking plastic wheel thing you don't have to turn it all the way, my pins were coming out after the first click but would not come out at all turned all the way. Just play around with it, you'll figure it out.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

Has anyone been able to buy new pins with out the wire? I'd rather not splice it like a head unit adapter.

Comment

you can get them on mouser.com. I usually buy in a reel of 500.. lol. Haven't used any in a long time though.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Wiring a C101 Connector: Geting Pin's, Crimpers and a Cheap Pin Removal Tool!

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            you can get them on mouser.com. I usually buy in a reel of 500.. lol. Haven't used any in a long time though.

Want to sell 20 to me?

Edit: do you have a mouser p/n?
                            Last edited by SnowB0und; 02-06-2017, 11:03 PM.

Comment

I had success using a collet from a Dremel tool to remove the contacts.

Perfect fit in the hole, and only moved the "ears" down enough the release from the connector. Easy to bend them back out for re-use if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
                                I made a pin removal tool out of a piece of brake line. drilled out the center and ground down the outside to make the walls thinner, then jammed it into an old screwdriver handle.. I have a pic of it somewhere. Also for the crimper tools I have one of these http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Mac-Tools-TCT...-/111720544731

It does the crimps properly. Mac doesnt make it, so ive seen the same tool with various names on it. (guys should be able to find the same tool elsewhere)
                                Dude, you are my hero. I was dead in the water on an attempted first start today after a 2-year long intense build leading up to the moment of my first start. Starter doesn't move. Shit. 4 hours of troubleshooting later I discovered Markert Motorworks had put my C101 pin 18 (start pin) in the pin 19 opening on my swap harness. Tried all kinds of implements to get the pin out and felt I was going to do more damage than anything else. Read your post about the brake line and 15 minutes later I had a pin removal tool. Granted, being Cunifer tube it was a one-time-use tool, but damn it did the trick. Never crossed my mind before I read your post. First start attempt round 2 set for tomorrow. Thanks man!

Comment

Working...
                                X