No announcement yet.

Klaus the traveling BMW Roundel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the update and I wish the best for you and your family.
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Where's the Klinkster?
      88 M3 Diamantschwarz
      89 M3 Zinnoberrot
      56 Isetta

LIKE ARCHIE'S on Facebook!
      www.facebook.com/archiesicecream

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
        Where's the Klinkster?
        See two posts up.
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

Haven’t checked in on this in a while...sad to hear about Klaus disappearing on his way back to the states. Hopefully Klink will fare better on his journey.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

It's been an eventful few hours with Klink so far.

When we opened Klink's envelope it was empty, though I was sure he was inside when Powling handed him off to us. We lost track of him for a few hours, then finally found him passed out on the steering column of our donor shell:

He apparently was trying to steal the car to go on some sort of adventure, while being too wasted on gear oil to realize it doesn't even have an interior or a drive train.

After telling him off and taking off his... 'clothing'... I tried to restart our time together by introducing myself and telling him about my cars.

Before I could even talk about my E30s he proceeded to talk shit about my E36 M3.

Klink said, "They're not a real M3. They don't have a proper body kit like THE M3, or even the E46 M3. They have disgusting interiors that have all fallen apart. They were designed by computers to cut costs. Nobody but skids drives those things. They don't even have a proper motor..."

I was pretty pissed off, so I took him to the garage to shut him up:

I still had to show him my sag free glove box door before he conceded, but that was the end of that argument.

After that ordeal, I decided to get the introductions to our 5 series cars out of the way before he shat on them as well and ruined our whole evening.

My E34 isn't here right now, but Roadrunner's is:

He doesn't quite fit where his uncle Fritz usually sits. She'll give him the full tour when it isn't raining so hard. So far we're working to stabilize the rust on this car until we can properly attend to it and fill in the major pits with a T.I.G. before sanding it smooth and painting it.

Klink didn't know what to make of the hood on Roadrunner's E28:

Since there aren't any roundels on the outside or inside of the entire car, only kidneys really let you know what make of car it is if you aren't familiar with the shape of the body.

I tried getting Klink's help with a crank but no start issue on the 520i, but all he ended up accomplishing was making friends on Facebook... turns out he's a useless mechanic.

It's been a busy day.

Comment

How is this so slow
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                How is this so slow
                Dude, right there with you.

It seems incredibly simple. Get the fucker, take some pictures with the fucker, put the motherfucker in an envelope and ship to the next guy.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Us Canadians are pretty slow people, eh
                  Steve • Toronto
                  1991 318is • Brillantrot
                  Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                    How is this so slow
                    Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                    Dude, right there with you.

It seems incredibly simple. Get the fucker, take some pictures with the fucker, put the motherfucker in an envelope and ship to the next guy.
                    Klink was wondering what the hell the point was of sending him all around the world if none of you are even looking at his pictures - he told me to wait until someone else commented before continuing the updates. He's already in the mail off to the next person on the list who was still interested in having him for company (after he got rudely turned down by someone).

We've been really busy since our first day together.

It turned out all Klink needed to get his head straight was to be around the classic BMWs he loves so much. We spent a few nights talking about the E28 520i, and the plans we had for it. That led to talking about E28s in general, and Klink pointed out that the car we just sold to a buddy of ours was probably one of the nicest E28 shells in Canada. I was turned off by trunk rust due to years of unchecked water leaks because I wasn't familiar with how bad E28s generally are, but Klink gave me perspective.

Perfect timing on both sides led to the deal with my buddy being reversed, and our E28 project taking on an entirely new direction with a new much nicer shell as the base. More on that later.

Our plans to take him to a Leafs game in the finest Canadian tradition (even though I never go to games unless I get given tickets) were foiled due to a combination of big problems on the way there, which led us to missing the game and making the best of it by visiting a local classic BMW enthusiast.

First off, an unplanned family reunion:

Then we saw a couple of his project cars. He has two of my not at all secretly coveted E31 8 series, with this one being a project with no drivetrain in it:

Then we saw one of his three E30 M3 projects, this one being the furthest from completion:

What goes well with an E30 M3 shell with a full interior but no drive train?

That'll do nicely.

At this point, we went to his cousin's performance shop to look at a few parts cars I ended up passing on for another project of mine I'm planning:

The previous owner started shaving the bay, then did nothing with it and left it outside. Ugh.

Klink was impressed by what was inside, starting with this coffee table:

Then his mind was blown by this all motor 850 horsepower monster:

It may not be German, but you can't argue with that number.

All of these project cars, motors and general insanity got me thinking about our E28 project. If we're going to go through the trouble of a manual swap, why leave the M20B27 in it? Why not upgrade the motor to something a lot more enjoyable, yet still in the general character of the car? Klink had an idea...
                    Last edited by Shock(/\)ave; 04-19-2018, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                      It seems incredibly motherfucking simple. Get the motherfucker, take some motherfucking pictures with the motherfucker, put the motherfucker in a motherfucking envelope and ship to the next motherfucker.
                      This was close to perfection, hope you dont mind me editing it
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        This was close to perfection, hope you dont mind me editing it
                        Are you guys triggered? Take a time out in your safe spaces and chill the hell out. Nobody is going to want to take the time to participate if you post nothing but complaints. I've got some good material coming up, so sit tight.

Klink was supposed to be a special guest at a multi group classic BMW season opener swap meet I've put together, but a massive ice storm forced the meet to be pushed back by two weeks and cancelled his appearance. As I type this it's still more like the middle of January than late April outside, so I'm honestly glad it was moved so we aren't freezing our butts off.

Thankfully, Klink was still in a good mood. He convinced me to finally do something about the shabby engine beauty covers on my motors:

I've already managed to locate a nice S38B38 cover, and I'm actively hunting for the S14B23 cover. If anyone has any leads for an unrefinished and undamaged S14B23 valve cover please send them my way!

Klink agreed that we need to part ways with our E28 520i project:

We're taking a lot of the best parts from that car, making a few trades, and will be turning our E28 528e into a pretty special car. So far I've permanently removed the North American bumpers from it:

And the really exciting news:

A deep search for potential local motor candidates led me to this E34 525i, which wasn't even listed for sale yet. It's got 145,000 miles, an excellent service history, and totally rust free panels - the ideal donor.

Our E28 528e is going to be getting a full M50B30TU swap with a ZF 320Z 5 speed. While we're at it we'll use the complete braking system from the E34 525i to upgrade ours, with the rest of the parts being split between our E34 M5s.

Next up: about that B30... ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
                          Are you guys triggered? Take a time out in your safe spaces and chill the hell out. Nobody is going to want to take the time to participate if you post nothing but complaints. I've got some good material coming up, so sit tight.

I think the reference missed ya...

So much goodness up there in the Great White North. did Klink freeze his pins off?
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hey Shock(/\)ave

More pics of the M3 please...
                            88 M3 Diamantschwarz
                            89 M3 Zinnoberrot
                            56 Isetta

LIKE ARCHIE'S on Facebook!
                            www.facebook.com/archiesicecream

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              https://youtu.be/4XhrtjN2A2s

I think the reference missed ya...

Here are a few more pics... I managed to get my hands on Klink for a bit before Shockwave sent him on his way to his next stop. :)

First off, Klink seriously needed a bath - I don't even want to think about where he's been with you animals. :P

I introduced him to our canary, Tiny, who decided to test out Klink's durability.

We spent some time in the kitchen working on my engine. ;D

It was a beautiful day outside, so we did some sunbathing...

...and some car yoga...

And went to visit some car friends. :)

Klink should be back in the US again soon!
                              1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
                              Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

woooooo! USA USA USA

Comment

Working...
                                X