HELP: 15x8 et20 Tires Rubbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP: 15x8 et20 Tires Rubbing

So after a lot of research I purchased 15x8 et20 TRM C1's and put 205/55 tires to match new coilovers. I set the car down for the first time today and I am rubbing the struts on both sides...but I also don't want extreme front poke. 5mm spacers?

Spoiler alert: I'm doing engine work so these height settings are the result of first guesses. There is no engine in the car right now.

How else have people put 15x8s? I'm not the first person to do this. I'm looking for answers ASAP.

1990 325i Coupe
    ///PNW e30 CREW

got any camber there? You might nees some once you add spacers to stop it rubbing on your guards. Chuck on some something to simulate a spacer see how much you need to get some clearance from the strut. Washes or something between the wheel and hub will do. Then wind on the camber and see if you can get the wheels to "fit". with a 5mm spacer they will end up 15 x 8 +15 which I think will fit with some cambers.

I have some 15x8 zero offset wheels. Clear the strut fine, but no chance of fitting without some serious front guard bashing. They are in the too hard basket, and thus stacked up in the garage.
    Last edited by e30davie; 05-04-2018, 11:29 PM.

Comment

side note, as I see you have fortune auto coils, how was the install? I just ordered a set despite seeing hardly any reviews from e30 owners...

Comment

5mm or even 3mm might be enough to clear that
        Some slight camber might be needed if you want to keep the top of the tires inside the fender line

Comment

I went to TireRack and swapped them with the same tire in 205/50. Don't go 205/55 on 15x8 et20 unless you want some serious poke and/or fender rolling and pulling!

I'll write a review on my project thread after I get a chance to drive on them. So far install was a breeze. Just needed a welder.
          1990 325i Coupe
          ///PNW e30 CREW

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
            side note, as I see you have fortune auto coils, how was the install? I just ordered a set despite seeing hardly any reviews from e30 owners...

Very good set up esp since you can choose any spring rates. Def better than the BC’s, Megan’s, etc type of coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Camber has no effect on your rubbing situation. A small spacer should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
                I went to TireRack and swapped them with the same tire in 205/50. Don't go 205/55 on 15x8 et20 unless you want some serious poke and/or fender rolling and pulling!

I'll write a review on my project thread after I get a chance to drive on them. So far install was a breeze. Just needed a welder.
                205/55 and 205/50 will have almost the exact same poke, they're the same width. The 205/55 will just be slightly taller. It makes a slight difference but nothing like what you're implying.

Originally posted by Victell View Post
                Camber has no effect on your rubbing situation. A small spacer should do it.
                This is correct, the camber has no effect whatsoever because the knuckle is fixed in reference to the strut tube where it's rubbing. Camber moves this whole assembly from one side to the other.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
                IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Working...
                X