Should i condemn my DME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should i condemn my DME?

so this past weekend has been frustrating as im trying to get my s50 swap up and running for bimmerfest in 2 weeks.

finally got the car cranking today and it actually started.... for a split second.
    since then its been a crank,no start issue.

since the car has had the battery hooked up, i have yet to hear the fuel pump prime when turning the key on. the fuel pump circuit is good, the only way i get the fuel pump to turn on is to jump the fuel pump relay and it works.

in other words the relays that are grounded by the dme are not working and im wondering if i should deem my DME bad. car has no spark either.

anyone know anything else i can check before i buy a new dme?

car is 1984 318i, engine e36 s50. gone through all the schematics and im out of ideas....
    Attached Files

How's your ground from the motor to the frame?

-Charlie
    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
    FYYFF

Comment

How did it start for a split second without spark?
      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
        How did it start for a split second without spark?
        Divine intervention. E30 is god's chariot.

What is you tranny / clutch / flywheel setup?

Can you spin the engine freely by hand?

I had a non-shaved M20 flywheel and it was pressed so tightly against the oil pan it caused the engine to not rotate. It needed millimeters of clearance. It cranked for a few seconds but would not afterwards. Sounds like your problem, or it's simply a ground.
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

It ran for a few seconds then died. we were unable to get it to start again after. Ground is good from pass side motor mount to body. Motor spins just fine. It has a uuc ltw flywheel with correct clutch. Zf trans. I drove to go help him yeseterday but he lives 100 miles from me. He's going to bring his dme(red label 413) to work on weds and see if it will start my car.

Comment

found the problem. dme is not bad. just got frustrated and overlooked the small stuff . the dme was not grounding any relays because it was not getting power. after looking through some ETMs me and surebimmer realized that if it doesnt get an ignition signal from the ignition switch, the DME wont even think the car is trying to be started. duh..

found no voltage at the ignition signal to DME with the key on, traced it back to the e36-e30 harness connector.... ignition wire was in pin 12... not 21 were its supposed to be..(doh!). started right up after fixing that. as for it starting once, must have been in the right pin at first, then got knocked out, then put back in the wrong pin... opps.

oh well its starts up just fine everytime now and its f***kn LOUD with open headers. its coming along good now and looks to be on schedule for bimmerfest next weekend ;). looking forward to it!

Comment

Get back to work or it won't be done!

Comment

Working...
              X