Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric View Post
    Yes.

I've dabled in S38 culture for 10 years and watched a lot of people make "400/450/500hp" builds that never actually make that goal. How many 500hp NA S54's do you see? Now think of it with 3 generations older technology. Not saying it's not possible, but it is a big claim to make.
    Might be a big claim for an S38, if you say so (I don't know much about them) but that's a believable specific output to me, for what is likely a high spec build which runs on race gas (with 14:1 compression, it's either race gas or E85, this isn't some DI engine like a skyactiv).

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Hey guys, sorry I missed this thread earlier, we've been overwhelmed with everything at SEMA. Mike is still there, but I'm back now and would like to answer a few questions.

We do plan on driving the car at some track days, but it's not meant to compete in wheel to wheel racing. The chassis/cage is built to NASA specs, but the car is so extreme there's really no class for it. We've talked about entering it in pikes peak, but that would just be for fun really.

The engine has no spark plug wires because it doesn't run yet. We were in a mad rush to get it done in time for SEMA, and we wanted to take our time getting the engine running so we wouldn't screw up a very expensive engine. There is more that is not finished with the car too, such as no floor, harnesses, inner fenders, wing, etc. we'll resume working on it once we've calmed down from SEMA. We get to show you things as they happen this way, which should be fun for all the people that go crazy for the car.

VAC told us other engines they had prepped similarly made close to 500, so that is the number we quoted. Once we get the engine running correctly we'll update everyone with what it actually makes. The car weighs 2450lbs with 46:54 weight distribution, so it should be fun even if it makes stock power.

I'm glad those of you that like it can see what we were going for, hopefully I can show the rest of you the light ;)
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

Yo, I would like to take this opportunity to say that I knew E30SPDFRK when he wasn't famous.

who wants to touch me.

I SAID

WHO WANTS TO FUCCIN TOUCH ME?

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by J.Rizo View Post
          holy wow. what a rare r3v breed you are. you can dislike something, but still appreciate it. please educate others on how to do so.

just to be clear lol, i'm not being sarcastic or passive aggressive.
          I guess as I'm getting older I can appreciate the work that goes into something like that. :up: Especially as I am somewhere between a purist and an all out modder. I'm okay with people making things their idea of enjoyment. Some people will like it, others won't and on the internetz everyone will let their feelings be known. Which is fine.

So again, cool car, and the work is up there... but I wouldn't touch a rusted finish car anymore than I'd touch one that had black wheels. Just a personal preference thing, but that doesn't take away from me appreciating it for what it is.

Edit: After looking at the pics again... are those front tires going to clear the front tube structure under full travel? They look awfully close just resting...
          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
          -----------------------------------------
          91 318is Turbo Sold
          87 325 Daily driver Sold
          06 4.8is X5
          06 Mtec X3
          05 4.4i X5 Sold
          92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
          90 325i Sold
          97 328is Sold
          01 323ci Sold
          92 325i Sold
          83 528e Totaled
          98 328i Sold
          93 325i Sold

Comment

urrggghh

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
              Dont think this has been posted. I couldnt do that much in like 6 weeks.

Welding without a glove? I have never understood this. Suits up with a jacket and doesn't even wear a glove. Plz enlighten me someone.

Anyways, cool car and can respect the build. Lots of time and hard work put into that. *anxiously awaiting running vids*

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
                Welding without a glove? I have never understood this. Suits up with a jacket and doesn't even wear a glove. Plz enlighten me someone.

Anyways, cool car and can respect the build. Lots of time and hard work put into that. *anxiously awaiting running vids*
                looks like hes wearing latex gloves. do you mean not wearing welding gloves or something? is that a thing? I'm not a welder idk lol. but hes definitely wearing latex gloves...
                sigpic
                @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
                Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

I'm not that pasty lol.

And I'd like to touch you Fred :giggle:
                  Byron
                  Leichtbau

Comment

This is one of those cars that deserves a HotWheels model of it. Just saiyan.
                    1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                    1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                    bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by J.Rizo View Post
                      looks like hes wearing latex gloves. do you mean not wearing welding gloves or something? is that a thing? I'm not a welder idk lol. but hes definitely wearing latex gloves...
                      Yea you want everything covered. Not just for direct contact, but uv rays well. I've gotten my worst sun burn from welding in my younger days.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                        urrggghh

impressive they did all that in a week!

I dig the side exhaust..
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

...those door bars look a little suspect to me. Curious about the design.
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                            Yea you want everything covered. Not just for direct contact, but uv rays well. I've gotten my worst sun burn from welding in my younger days.

oh shit yeah I forgot about that. makes sense now.
                            sigpic
                            @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
                            Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                              ...those door bars look a little suspect to me. Curious about the design.
                              A traditional X made it nearly impossible to get in to the car, and more important, out of it, should there be an emergency. It's hard to grasp the scale of the car through photos, but it's quite small (much smaller at this point than an E30.)
                              The door bar setup we opted for isn't what I'd call ideal, but it's got a defined load path and if you follow the tube work and nodes, t should be just about impossible to crunch up.

Thank you everyone for the kind words! I understand why some people aren't in to it, but overall, I think there's a little bit of something for everyone to enjoy. Byron offered the same - he was there alongside me through the entire build - but I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

I see some quarrels about the engine, which is understandable. Obviously we haven't dyno'd the car yet, and frankly, 500hp seems incredibly optimistic to me. However, the boys at VAC suggest it should be the highest output S38 they've built. Tony himself says he expects about 475hp from the lump, but no matter what it makes, I'm just anxious to drive it. I have lots of photos of the engine build for those interested in seeing what's inside.
                              :)

Comment

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf View Post
                                A traditional X made it nearly impossible to get in to the car, and more important, out of it, should there be an emergency. It's hard to grasp the scale of the car through photos, but it's quite small (much smaller at this point than an E30.)
                                The door bar setup we opted for isn't what I'd call ideal, but it's got a defined load path and if you follow the tube work and nodes, t should be just about impossible to crunch up.

Thank you everyone for the kind words! I understand why some people aren't in to it, but overall, I think there's a little bit of something for everyone to enjoy. Byron offered the same - he was there alongside me through the entire build - but I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

I see some quarrels about the engine, which is understandable. Obviously we haven't dyno'd the car yet, and frankly, 500hp seems incredibly optimistic to me. However, the boys at VAC suggest it should be the highest output S38 they've built. Tony himself says he expects about 475hp from the lump, but no matter what it makes, I'm just anxious to drive it. I have lots of photos of the engine build for those interested in seeing what's inside.
                                :)
                                Cant wait to watch it get all finished up.
                                Current:
                                1989 325i
                                1988 M3
                                1987 325ic
                                Past:
                                2001 330ci
                                2001 M3

Comment

Working...
                                X