'88 325is M30 street car-->S54 -->S50 -->M54 Enduro Race car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
    I think the castro box needs some work. Self tapers in fiberglass was the first thing that caught my eye when I pulled it out of the packaging.... Probably needs some proper nutserts, then it would be "ok".
    Exactly. Seemed like Jordan loved it on his car tho, maybe production quality fell off, who knows, but at the current price, I'd rather spend my money in many other places of the car.

Comment

awesome thread. loving the feedback of all the different setups here!
      89 325i 4dr s52
      02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
      21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
        awesome thread. loving the feedback of all the different setups here!
        Thanks! I need to update this a little more, car is pretty dialed in right now on the coilover rear setup (750/450), even with old Direzzas. The track it's been to the last few times is all high speed, steady-state type corners so I'm interested to see how this setup translates over to some place like Barber, Rd ATL, VIR that has more shorter duration corners and left/right transitions. Overall, thus far, the e30 chassis does not seen super reactive to shock changes, even with really nice dampers on it, but we may be a little tire limited here. Looking forward to getting back on track soon.

M54 is pretty meh to me. In all fairness, we haven't turned it yet, but the poweband is pretty underwhelming for a track car in my opinion. It's definitely not slow, and the weight loss is definitely a gain but I wish it made some more power up top
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

How did you bend your trailing arms?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

m54 is pretty meh to me. In all fairness, we haven't turned it yet, but the poweband is pretty underwhelming for a track car in my opinion. It's definitely not slow, and the weight loss is definitely a gain but i wish it made some more power up top
            n52! :)
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post

M54 is pretty meh to me. In all fairness, we haven't turned it yet, but the poweband is pretty underwhelming for a track car in my opinion. It's definitely not slow, and the weight loss is definitely a gain but I wish it made some more power up top

Steve (hoveringuy) was able to get 250whp but made some changes that traded torque for BHP. I know he has an OBD1 intake manifold which certainly effected the torque and he also has Shrick cams. Maybe keep an eye out for ZHP cams for a little added factory oomph
              Last edited by nando; 08-27-2018, 09:31 AM. Reason: hit edit instead of quote, sorry
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

What wheel and tire setup are you running these days?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Steve (hoveringuy) was able to get 250whp but made some changes that traded torque for BHP. I know he has an OBD1 intake manifold which certainly effected the torque and he also has Shrick cams. Maybe keep an eye out for ZHP cams for a little added factory oomph
                  it was 237whp, but yeah..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sounds like you need to just 2JZ this car then... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                      How did you bend your trailing arms?
                      I didn't have to, I was happy enough with camber and toe to not mess with it. I'm a little heavy on toe in in the rear (1.25mm/.050" per side), but not enough to mess with it. One of my friends in the Atlanta area was bending arms and struts for SE30 guys... He had a jig of some sort for the rear.

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      n52! :)
                      Maybe!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      Yeah, thats a possibility. I still need to get faster, so it's not limiting me right now.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                      Sounds like you need to just 2JZ this car then... ;)
                      Ha! Never! I'm still a FI hater. Won't run like I need it to in the heat, guaranteed! If I could choose any swap for this car, it'd be an S65
                      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                        What wheel and tire setup are you running these days?
                        The car hasn't been out for a while. I moved to Charlotte and it still lives in Atlanta. It's still on ZII's but recently bought a set of RS-4's to try. I put them on a set of M-systems, but they wouldn't fit on the car so they'll go on the 17x9's before next time out
                        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I didn't have to, I was happy enough with camber and toe to not mess with it. I'm a little heavy on toe in in the rear (1.25mm/.050" per side), but not enough to mess with it. One of my friends in the Atlanta area was bending arms and struts for SE30 guys... He had a jig of some sort for the rear.

Maybe!

Yeah, thats a possibility. I still need to get faster, so it's not limiting me right now.

Ha! Never! I'm still a FI hater. Won't run like I need it to in the heat, guaranteed! If I could choose any swap for this car, it'd be an S65
                          I personally love my S65, the sound alone is intoxicating and after 4500 RPM its just a freight train! Maybe not great around town but on the track man it just stays up there forever.
                          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

The car hasn't been out for a while. I moved to Charlotte and it still lives in Atlanta. It's still on ZII's but recently bought a set of RS-4's to try. I put them on a set of M-systems, but they wouldn't fit on the car so they'll go on the 17x9's before next time out
                            Cool, I may be joining you out there in a couple of years...

I just finished up another set of ZII's, so I am trying to decide where to go next. I don't know if I want to stick to 16's, or try 15's or even 17's. I'm not sure what would be best, and what has the best tire selection for E30s. Time to do some more research.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                              Cool, I may be joining you out there in a couple of years...

I just finished up another set of ZII's, so I am trying to decide where to go next. I don't know if I want to stick to 16's, or try 15's or even 17's. I'm not sure what would be best, and what has the best tire selection for E30s. Time to do some more research.
                              In Charlotte? It's a pretty cool place, only been here 9 months or so but all good thus far

I'm thinking of changing it up too, considering going back to 4 lug and moving to 15's. Not positive yet though. If I did it would be Massive 300x32 kit with AP racing calipers. Haven't done much research on tires yet, I'd hope to be able to get some 245's on the car pretty easily. 17's are so close on fitment, there is no way we could move up from 235's with current setup
                              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

245/40R17's?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X