eurospec e30s aren't worth it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eurospec e30s aren't worth it.

With euro-spec e30s becoming more common site on the classifieds i'd like to share some euro-car knowledge that I picked up while living and owning e30s in Belgium & France.

Rust:
    Any car from a northern european country will be rusted. It's easier to assume it's a rust bucket than hoping it will be clean underneath. Most of these cars will have crack-free dashes, original paint with some shine left but will more than likely have rust.
    The fact of the matter is that these cars have probably failed technical inspection (keuring/Contrôle technique/TÜV/etc) in their respective country and have been sold cheap "for export." Now I know y'all northern folks are thinking "rust, that's no big deal." Sure, just be aware of what you are getting into, get the car up in the air and check:

Sedans/Coupes:
    - Battery Boxes
    - Behind the front wheel wells (basically right below where the throttle pedal affixes to the ground)
    - Rockers
    - etc
    Cabrios
    Same as coupes +
    - In front of the rear wheel arches
    - The body separation of front/rear body section in the door jamb (might have to remove plastic trim
    Tourings
    - Same place as coupes/sedans
    - Just assume the rear hatch is a rusty pos (especially behind the euro lic. plate filler)

That gets me on the next subject of tourings
    EUROPE DOESN'T HAVE F150s/Silverados/Rams, THEY USE THEIR WAGONS TO PRETTY MUCH DO EVERYTHING. I want to say 90% of every single touring has, at some point in its life:
    - had a hitch on it.
    - been driven in a ditch
    - been wrecked
    - Door dings on every. single. panel. (seriously, have you seen european parking garages?!)
    - been lived in/flooded/trashed
    - driving through Milan I saw ladies of the night in an industrial area who HAD FREAKING E30 TOURINGS parked across the street (ok, I saw this twice, statistically significant enough for me) as a motel. so, yeah that too.

The point I'm trying to drive home is that you will have to search quite a bit to find a clean e30 touring worth owning. Really, just get an e46 touring and spend that 5k you just saved on a clean 325is.

In terms of cars, 90% of european e30s are stripped down/base model cars.
    - 320i has a the weaker getrag 240, smaller struts, rear drum brakes/solid front brakes (save for ABS and some late models), smaller diffs etc.. check realoem to see what you are getting).
    - The cooling system we get as standard on most e30s is only available on euro-spec 324td and african cars. Yeah, that's pretty awesome, eh?
    - They get excited if a car has cruise control/obc/airco in euroland
    - They typically covet US-spec cars
    - Those cool cabin-adjusting headlights some of you drool over pretty much never work

As a general rule of thumb be careful with an e30 that originated in Germany and was imported to another european country in the 90s when it was a few years old. That is sometimes an indication it was wrecked/rolled back odo (I know, who cares at this point)/ Chop/weld job, etc. Unless you have specific knowledge otherwise, it's usually dangerous territory as the cars were unable to pass the TUV, and were exported as result.

If you are traveling abroad to go buy your dream e30, it's a great idea to buy one that has passed the (local) technical inspection. The titles/papers of these cars will typically indicate issues with the car (rust/leaks/suspension issues) and mods (lowering springs/wheels/etc). It's like a free PPI. Be weary if the car can't pass and is being sold for export only.

Lastly, some food for thought: germans love our sidemarkers and diving board bumpers.

What I'm trying to say is, don't be a fanboi. Don't buy something simply because you can't buy it here, make sure you use sound reasoning.

Feel free to PM me with any questions relating to Belgian/French e30s, as I'm familiar with them.

One of my euro e30s

/rant

TL/DR: Don't get excited because something is "euro"
    Last edited by Julien; 11-28-2014, 10:43 AM.
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

I believe it. Although I do love the 320is

Comment

Great post, very informative. Rust spots are key to look for; they can really make the car "not worth it" if you're not inclined to fix it, or willing to pay someone else to do it properly.

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Good info there. I lucked into mine, but also keep in mind there may be some legwork for unique parts to the euro cars. I once spent 4 months looking for a good used distributor for a 323i.

Comment

I agree tourings are cool but you can have a nice e30 and a e34t for less than one e30 touring that is probably a 320i without a/c
          1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
          2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
          2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
            The point I'm trying to drive home is that you will have to search quite a bit to find a clean e30 touring worth owning. Really, just get an e46 touring and spend that 5k you just saved on a clean 325is.
            that's exactly what I did! e46s are tanks and make for amazing daily drivers...cheaper than your average clean e30 too.
            1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
            1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
            1974 2002tii / stock
            2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Just remember that France and Belgium does not represent the whole of Europe. There is a big difference in car culture, how we use and maintain our cars if you compare say France to Scandinavian countries. So while most of what the OP writes might apply to France, that does not mean that it applies to all European countries.

The part about cars imported to other European countries because they where bad cars, I cant relate to at all. In Denmark we import a lot of German cars for the exact opposite reason: We import all the good ones. I company really close to where I lave have imported nice German cars to Denmark for the past 25 years.
              Last edited by Wega; 09-06-2014, 11:55 PM.

Comment

interesting thread.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

what sparked this thread.
                  2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                  (Daily Driver)
                  Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                  KW V2 Coilovers
                  VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Why do people want a european market car? Is it so they can bring it to a VW event with a "euro plate" on the front?

Comment

I love the euro cars, I've had 2 now while living In australia.
                      For me the less options the better, rhd is so cool, euro bumpers, headlights, weird colour combos the US didn't get, In aus the cars are way less rusty but all the dashes are totally cracked. The cars cost the same here too
                      How much is it to import from Europe? It costs like 4k to ship from aus

It's all what you want but a true euro e30 will always be cool stateside

If I have to move back to the states I'll ship my little 318 home with me
                      We're out there in here.

Comment

Yes in Denmark most of the imports from Germany are really nice cars.
                        I have two imports, this Cirrusblau 318i with 147.000 km's behind it, 1(!) little rust spot that needs to be taken care of, and a flawless original paint.

It sits like this right now, while I'm in the process of making it a AC Schnitzer S3 spec car.

Then I have this Alpinweiss II 320i touring, with two little rustholes, it was checked by a mechanic, so it is as I say.
                        It is one of the nicest tourings I've seen in a while regarding rust.

Rear hath is imaculate, even under the plate filler.

So not all imports are exported from the motherland, because they're wrecked, rusted away or didn't pass TUV.
                        Some of them are imported, because they're in really good shape.
                        #ShenanigansE30 1989 Touring AC Schnitzer S3 replica http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=320784
                        Ruffian 1987 318is 2 door Hartge project http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=290863
                        Natalma 1990 Touring AC Schnitzer S3
                        #GlorianaE28 1986 525i
                        #AnniePowerE34 525i 3.2 M50 with AC Schnitzer S5 parts
                        sigpic

Comment

To be fair, the OP did use the words "sometimes" and "probably" when referring to cars shipped from one European country to another. So he effectively agrees.

Originally posted by AbsorbantNut View Post
                          Great post, very informative. Rust spots are key to look for; they can really make the car "not worth it" if you're not inclined to fix it, or willing to pay someone else to do it properly.
                          While true, I found this comment hilarious when placed directly above a picture of your car. :)
                          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Thanks for the support guys!
                            To clarify some points:
                            - I'm mostly referring to german/dutch/french/english/belgian e30s that make their way to the united states.

One thing I forgot to add, many of these countries have special consideration for cars older than 25 years old (less road tax, less frequent inspection, etc) so, the nice ones are more valuable there too.

On the german to other european country comment: It's no secret that germany has the largest portion of well optioned-out, biggest motor'd e30s in europe. This is very attractive to many people who will go hand pick their cars there. But, many people got scammed by german imports because of less than honorable importers over the years so just be careful :)

and yes that thread did spark this one, however i've been meaning to write this for a while.
                            Last edited by Julien; 09-07-2014, 10:17 AM.
                            Build Threads:
                            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Good Info there. My euro spec got brought to the states in 87 and lived in nor cal and Oregon for 75 percent of its life then it spent 12 years in Wyoming and now its with me. So all the rust mine picked up which is indeed a fuck ton was from the Wyoming winters. I wish I could find where my car was from in Europe.

Edit: Always wondered Do the European e30 guys drool over us spec e30's the same way we drool over euro spec e30's and do they even take the time to import them like we do?
                              Last edited by ThatOneEuroE30; 09-07-2014, 07:31 AM.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                              X