Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgraded sway bar end link bushings?

Hey guys,

I am finally moving from the rear end of the car and starting to work ont eh front end. I have an ST sway bar set that came with adjustable rear end links, but no front end links at all. I think it would be well worth replacing the factory end links with new OEM at a minimum, but are there better iptions? My car now has complete condor speed shop rear bushings, coilovers, and st sway bar. I have condor 24v motor mounts and trans mounts (for reference) and I plan on continuing the theme.

The only upgraded front end links I can find are powerflex bushings (https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...yABEgJGrvD_BwE), but have yet to see any reviews, and I honestly can't see how you could replace the bushings in a stock end link. Should I give these a try, or just order replacement OEM style front end links?

If you are looking to get into track stuff and want to corner balance the car correctly, you need to get adjustable endlinks.
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I have adjustable end links in the rear, but not the fronts currently. There don't seem to be as many options for the front, and most of the ones I have seen so far say "track only" Are they more fragile? I might just throw a new set of OEM end links on for now as they should be a pretty easy swap once I get the whole car mobile again.

Comment

There is potential for them to be noisy as the heim joints wear, that's the reason for the track only note. I would go ahead and put adjustables on the front and not do it twice. You are much more likely to break a stock end link than an adjustable joing with heim joints
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
          There is potential for them to be noisy as the heim joints wear, that's the reason for the track only note. I would go ahead and put adjustables on the front and not do it twice. You are much more likely to break a stock end link than an adjustable joing with heim joints
          :up:

My car is gutted, sound deadening removed from the trunk, no headliner, and the spare tire well deleted making room for a diffuser...Not worried about noise :) I was more worried about pot holes of some sort breaking one of the adjustable ones with no real "give"

Comment

If heim/spherical joints are being used when they are worn/noisy then the benefit of the heim joint is completely lost. They are either used with zero clearance, or they are in the bin. I had spherical joints all through my old S15 silvia street car and i was suprised as to how good of service they gave and how little difference to NVH they made. I would put them in instead of rubber bushes any day. you wont break one on a pothole either, the bar will flex before the joint breaks.

Comment

I think the best option is to weld tabs on the strut housing and run e30 M3 style sway bar end links. You can a significant gain in sway bar effectiveness, and you can run a plethora of aftermarket adjustable links, or even stock e30 M3, e34, etc... links which do not contain rubber, just a rod with ball joints at either end (but will last decades, even in wet/winter use). You also don't end up with terrible angles like you do with very low e30's with control arm mounted links.

I used to run aftermarket heim joint adjustable swaybar links, but they developed play and it sounded like the front end of my car was falling off over bumps. Switched to stock e34 links, been fine ever since. There's a few companies that make OEM-style ball joint links that are also adjustable. Check out Bimmerworld, Turner, etc....
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

i tried those rod links twice before, they wear out in the real world and knock annoyingly even with a teeny tiny bit of wear. i bought some rubber boots and bought a new set of links. its been running strong since
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                X