How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mccor023 View Post
    Has anyone installed the top knuckle to steering shaft, rack to subframe w/ bottom half of knuckle, and then installed spacers/bolts to connect the knuckle?
    I am performing this mission solo and its been a pain in the arse trying to get the rack lined in the bottom and then into subframe..
    The only issue I see is having to rotate the top portion of the knuckle in order to line the knuckle up, but then I can just remove the steering wheel and straighten it.
    I did this with Z4 steering rack; installed the z4 u joint to the car side then brought the rack up to meet it.
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
      I did this with Z4 steering rack; installed the z4 u joint to the car side then brought the rack up to meet it.
      I think he's talking of installing the knuckle in halves to each of the shafts, then bolting the knuckle together... I suppose it could work, but I'd be very nervous about not being able to adequately torque the two halves together.

Comment

Originally posted by KVF View Post
        I think he's talking of installing the knuckle in halves to each of the shafts, then bolting the knuckle together... I suppose it could work, but I'd be very nervous about not being able to adequately torque the two halves together.
        Yes, I wa thinking of installing in halves. I removed my intake boot and have good access to them both. I was thinking this because I was worried I was not getting the knuckles firmly on the shafts.
        I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

Can someone confirm knuckle spacers are still needed w/ late model non airbag an the Z3 rack? I installed the knuckle in halves, but now realizing why I couldn't install the whole thing together.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373387770.534282.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	7157505

Comment

I needed the spacers for my z3 rack install to my 92 e30 non airbag cabby.
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
              I needed the spacers for my z3 rack install to my 92 e30 non airbag cabby.
              When mounting you rack to subframe which holes did you use? The original in the back, or the ones towards the front of the car?
              Thanks

Comment

Edit... You did align them correctly... How far up the steering shaft did you go? Did you space the rack upward or downward?

Comment

I put the spacers on the top of the rack. I tapped the top half of knuckle as it would go, and basically the same for the bottom half. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373393151.855204.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	7157507

I couldnt tap it down any further.

Comment

I've now just used 2 spacers and bolted up the knuckle, I just don't understand why I had to do it this way.
                    Like most of my projects Im concerned I did something wrong and will have to do it all over again in a day or two.

Comment

It sure looks like you slide the lower knuckle too far onto the spline... There is a little groove that you should line up with the bolt hole. Did you push it on past the groove to the point of going past the splines on the shaft??

There is no such groove up top, but be sure you didn't slide up so far that the firewall and upper knuckle ever come in contact.

Comment

When mounting you rack to subframe which holes did you use? The original in the back, or the ones towards the front of the car?
                        Thanks
                        Original
                        Originally posted by codyep3
                        I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                        2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                        1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                        1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                        2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                        2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                        2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                        2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                        2010 F650gs twin
                        2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by KVF View Post
                          It sure looks like you slide the lower knuckle too far onto the spline... There is a little groove that you should line up with the bolt hole. Did you push it on past the groove to the point of going past the splines on the shaft??

There is no such groove up top, but be sure you didn't slide up so far that the firewall and upper knuckle ever come in contact.
                          What would be the negative to having the knuckle to far down on the rack spline?

Comment

What would be the negative to having the knuckle to far down on the rack spline?
                            So long as the spline isn't hitting the u-joint, nothing. Some people use that method to avoid having to space the knuckle. My only caution to you would be to leave the knuckle ends loose, until you fully torque the knuckle halves together.

Comment

The knuckle needs to be in the right spot for the bolts to be able to pass thru to tighten the half's in the splines.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

trying to get set up for a swap. Went to bma.com to try and find the spacers you got and it said they were unavailable. I guess i can just make something up but it would be cool to have them in hand especially at the price you got them for. I plan on using my e30 inner and outer tie rods on the e36 rack as they are in better shape. Great thread by the way!

Comment

Working...
                                X