Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M50 Swap: How much did you spend? How much should I budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 Swap: How much did you spend? How much should I budget?

Doing the swap into a 1990 325i sedan, and ending up with a 3.25LSD, and a fully working HVAC system, as well as a fully functioning OBC and cluster - How much should I budget?

How much did you spend on your M50 swap, and to what extent did you take it?

-Evan
    1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold ::

That's hard to say. I don't really want to add it up. I think you could do it for $500 + the motor at the low end. I probably spent $5k.

Comment

Woah! How'd you manage to spend that much?
      Originally posted by matt View Post
      That's hard to say. I don't really want to add it up. I think you could do it for $500 + the motor at the low end. I probably spent $5k.
      1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold ::

Comment

Made a few mistakes. Splurged on a few things. It adds up fucking fast.

Comment

It will definitely nickel and dime you. I've spent about 2500 hundred so far and probably about another 1000 or so on machine work and a few parts/gaskets (minus headers and flywheel). I got my motor, with ecu and all accessories, with only 80k miles on it for about 1500. If you include my headers and flywheel, spent so far jumps up to about 3500. If you want good performance parts, you will definitely have to pay for them! Headers - TMS Shorties - ~700, Flywheel - JB Racing 8.5lbs - ~450.
          My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
          There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

ive dropped at least about $4K so far. yea, and thats pretty much just on the engine and its not even in the car yet... however im using all new sensors and gaskets and im having to buy tons of misc. nuts and bolts since i started with pretty much a bare s50 block.
            to put it in perspective:

s50 engine block/head with new head gasket - $2500 (came w/harness, coils and injectors)
            intake manifold and throttle body - $100
            ALL Sensors: coolant, cam, crank, knock, etc. - around $600
            coolant hoses - $100
            alternator - $150
            zionsville mounting kit (oil pan, mounts, brake booster etc.) - $1000
            misc: bolts, nuts, washers, tensioner stuff, engine covers etc. - shit, i dont feel like adding it all up.

you get the idea, i still got a long way to go: flywheel, clutch, pulleys, ps pump, transmission, radiator...

not trying to talk you out if it, just saying be aware that you can get sucked in pretty damn easy.

Comment

id say pretty close to $4K keeping it pretty basic. including the motor, diff.

Comment

I spent $950 on the complete engine and trans, $415 on the wiring adapter, $720 on the light fly and clutch pack. $220 on the booster, and prolly ~$500 on misc items. I did get $400 out of my old motor and the oil pan and a pir of sport seats for my old slushy which helped on the cost.
                Originally posted by 325Projectz
                don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                :nice:

Comment

I spent about 2700. just on the motor i spent 1350. M3 flywheel, clutch, trans, drive shaft was another 750 or so. and then alot of other stuff too. shifter parts, mounts, gaskets, seals, hoses, pumps, thermostat. a/c lines, filters fluid... the list goes on. Make damn sure the motor you buy is a solid one. do a leak down and a comp test but DO THE LEAK DOWN. the motor i bought ended up having a cracked head.
                  -Chris

Comment

1500 running. 18 or 1900 as it is now.
                    Old and improved:

Comment

$6,311 so far...$1300 for clean red e30 with rear quarter panel damage, $650 to fix damage and $2700 for s52(w/ harness, ecu, d-shaft, radiator) and ZF tranny with only 56k miles, $700 for full exhaust set-up, $70 for obd1 manifold and throttle body, $140 for 24# injectors, $45 540 HFM, $37 k&n cone filter, $300 for turner chip to go with mods, $100 new o2 sensor, $112 new e21 booster, $39 vacuum reserve canister, $200 used 3.25 lsd... my time and labor+first time driving the beast+embarrassing porches on sunset= PRICELESS...

some headaches, immense amount of stress, and countless hours of research and labor u can't buy...for everything else by an EVO

other goodies
                      rx-7 calipers $50, brake adapters (about to be made) $70, motorwerks adjustable sway-bars w/ links and urethane bushings $200, new 17s + tires $1k

still to buy
                      purems.com vogtland+koni suspension package $650+shipping, HIDs ?

the list never ends :twisted:
                      Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

If you have time and are good at finding deals you can put it together for fairly cheap.

I just got mine running again not too long ago and added up the total cost to be around $5700 for everything including the cost of car to all the little odds and ends.

powerdyne supercharged S50 E30

Comment

Originally posted by RVA e30 View Post
                          If you have time and are good at finding deals you can put it together for fairly cheap.

I just got mine running again not too long ago and added up the total cost to be around $5700 for everything including the cost of car to all the little odds and ends.

powerdyne supercharged S50 E30
                          holy crap. under $6k for a supercharged S50-powered e30? That's a friggin deal!

-Evan

Comment

budget anywhere from 4-6K

Comment

Buying one already swapped is a bargain even at $6-$8k for an S52 car. Trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X