Project TougE30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of wrenching, not much writing.

I've been working on the e30 till dawn the past 2 days sorting out various things. I'm glad I went the obd 2 route since it made diagnosing my cps fault code 83 easy. I made a dumb mistake and forgot to hook up a plug on the accessory harness to the main engine harness. Finally got that sorted out and the e30 turns on with no issues. I had to find a maf since that code popped up too. I found the correct driveshaft from the bone yard for 17$. U-joints felt great. I sorted out my wiring to the e30 body side and only ran the necessities for the swap. This took some time for me to sort out since I have a 1986 325e and cross referenced multiple places to ensure I wired everything correctly. I'll admit, I probably went overboard for 11 wires, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also, I sorted out the m20 coolant temp sensor. I don't have much to do except finish building the exhaust, rebleed the clutch and brakes, tidy up the engine bay some more, and install my spal fan. Hopefully, I can drive it tomorrow.

Also, on a side note, I tore my m20 2.7i stroker apart and found the top end had no visual damage. I think my metal on metal clacking noise issue resides in the bottom end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_010651.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	7196896

Name:	IMG_3725.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	7196897

Name:	IMG_3726.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	7196898

Comment

Originally posted by Shu View Post
      Nice, congrats!
      Thanks!

Comment

Put a few hours in after getting off work. Brakes and clutch feel much better after bleeding 3 times. Solved a small vaccum leak. Fixed a power steering leak and forgot how light the e30 steering is. My fan switch should come in tomorrow and I can plug up the spal fan and go hoon ...I mean test drive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

3 long weeks

I think we've reached the end of the obd 2 m52 swap. I solved my rear main seal leak,power steering issue, and slave cylinder issue a few hours ago. We're gonna put some miles on it tomorrow. I plan on scheduling a dyno session to see where I'm at. Time t o get some more seat time in the e30 this year, so I can actually learn how to drive the car at it's full potential. I have a few things left on my mod list. Also, enjoy a shot I took of a friend's newly acquired e46 m3!

Name:	10915800766_cc25a8fd12_b.jpg
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	7197000

Name:	IMG_3743.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	7197001

Comment

Just an update and photo dump.

I put 100 miles on the e30 and the cars pulls nicely. I plan on fixing my exhaust tomorrow. It needs to be raised and replacing my old muffler with an ansa muffler. My old I muffler has a hole and baffling is definitely disintegrated I'm used to a quiet e30 and it's louder than a supercharged e92 m3 currently. I don't want to attract unnecessary attention.

Name:	20180515_175511.jpg
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	7197025

Name:	20180513_105813.jpg
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	7197026

Name:	IMG_3980.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	7197027
            Attached Files

Comment

I bought a new windshield for the E30 through Safelite. The guy I got was super chill and did a great job. It's is like night and day looking through this windshield. Got it done for a reasonable price. E30 is basically incognito now.

Comment

Nice work! I love the M52 motor. Having the OBD2 is nice, especially when you get it on the dyno. Im guessings ~200whp which is pretty awesome when you think that they were listed as 190bhp stock
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Nice work! I love the M52 motor. Having the OBD2 is nice, especially when you get it on the dyno. Im guessings ~200whp which is pretty awesome when you think that they were listed as 190bhp stock
                  Kassel thinks I'll make around 215whp and 190tq. We'll see when I hop on the Dyno soon.

Comment

Tore down the m20 and definitely drove her into the ground. Rod bearings took quite a beating.

Comment

I think I finally solved my cooling system issue. I modified the E36 fan shroud and now my temp gauge holds in the middle. I rebled the system at least 5-7 times and was getting ready to start replacing the thermostat and water pump. Glad it was a simple fix. Pressure tested the system as well. Also, one of my fuel lines sprung a leak, so that got taken care of. Dyno session tomorrow. Excited to see what numbers we get.

Comment

Sad news then good news

Unfortunately, the m52 made it 2k miles. I started hearing a knock noise the other week and my oil was a glitter party. I found huge chunks of bearing material in my oil pick up tube which is probably attributed to my low oil pressure at idle. The good news is, I had a spare m52 and it's in the car. Buttoning it up today and hopefully hear her come back to life. Engine is fully resealed and oil pump nut welded. Definitely thankful for everyone who helped me these past few days.

Name:	20180915_005030.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	7197761

Name:	20180915_110156.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	7197762

Name:	20180915_110138.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	7197763

Name:	20180916_173859.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	7197764

Comment

Roller-coaster.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                            Roller-coaster.
                            Agreed, hopefully I'm at the end of this roller coaster. This e30 needs to head to the dyno and see some seat time.

Comment

Almost done

The s52 cams did not survive unfortunately. I pulled the caps for cylinder 3 and 6 only to find scoring. I spoke with Kassel Performance who were kind enough to reflash my ecu so I can properly hoon the e30. I'm gonna finish building the exhaust today for dd duties. I may upgrade the ansa catback at some point. I have some finishing touches to do and the e30 should be street worthy and ready to head back to the dyno at flim flam speed.

Name:	IMG_5199.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	7197822

Name:	IMG_5196.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	7197823

Comment

Throwback Thursday! The E30 has come a long way and the journey has been a good one!

Comment

Working...
                                X