No announcement yet.

'90 325i S52 to S54 '06 Z4M w/ ZF 6 Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got some wiring done. Added the missing Aux fuse box which will go under the beauty cover, and populated 1x always hot, 3x hot on ignition. Keep in mind these are on the ignition coils, so use Diode protected relays. Didn't take pics but added 3 relays. 1 for the CAN controller for AC. 1 for oil pressure, temp and wideband for the dash, and 1 not yet used.

The modified airbox and elbow to fit. Notice also the aluminum shield to seperate hot radiator air from the intake:

The Tilton bracket. Ill clean up later, may move as its in the way of my Mason Strut bar:

Comment

Yeeeeeesss can't wait, do it.....

Comment

Sorry for no updates, getting married first the 18th of Aug, then I shall be back to work.

Update though, picked up the Z3 cruise control unit to wire in cruise. I'll leave the stalk out though most likely as it's in the way when on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
          After looking further Z4M and E46 M3 waterpump/thermostat parts are the slightly different. Z4M waterpump /clutch fan threads do not have to be cut. The M3 waterpump pushes the clutch fan further toward the radiator. This is an issue for E46M3 S54 swaps into the e30 chassis as the waterpump needs to be shortened/cut to clear the radiator and SPAL fan.

Also, the hole on top of this pic, my thermostat housing does not have. This is where the coolant overflow piping in front of the engine would connect to:
          E46M3 waterpump and longer profile w/ hole for hard pipe.

Z3M/4M waterpump, notice the shorter profile.

I'll consolidate this into my DIY
          Starting up the build on my car and this is the first time I'm really jumping into the details of these swaps.

I plan to run A/C as well... most likely keeping the original s52 a/c compressor because it all works currently. My question to you is, what was the final configuration that you went with?

-Z4M water pump
          -Z3M coolant line from pump to expansion tank and heater core?

In this post the o/p mentions that:

The cooling system was also gone over. The goal was to mount the overflow bottle in the stock location. This meant that the E46 M3 water pump would need to be modified or the MZ3 S54 water pump could be used. Since my pump was quite new, I decided to machine a brass fitting with o-ring and bracket to seal the port where the hardline goes across the front of the engine. If the MZ3 pump was used, this step would not have been needed. I also used the MZ3 coolant pipe that leads off the back of the thermostat and branches out for the overflow bottle. This is all plug and play. New o-rings were used obviously.
          Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

I read that if the E46 M3 water pump was utilized that there would be interference with running a/c in the E30 chassis as well. Since you're running a/c as well I am just looking for some clarification because time is on my side and I just want to get it right the first time around haha (I know thats optimistic )

Love what you did with the sway bar setup btw. I'm thinking about doing the same to increase ground clearance...
          Last edited by dude8383; 08-01-2018, 09:37 AM.
          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
            Starting up the build on my car and this is the first time I'm really jumping into the details of these swaps.

I plan to run A/C as well... most likely keeping the original s52 a/c compressor because it all works currently. My question to you is, what was the final configuration that you went with?

-Z4M water pump
            -Z3M coolant line from pump to expansion tank and heater core?

In this post the o/p mentions that:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

I read that if the E46 M3 pump was utilized that there would be interference with running a/c in the E30 chassis as well. Since you're running a/c as well I am just looking for some clarification because time is on my side and I just want to get it right the first time around haha (I know thats optimistic )

Love what you did with the sway bar setup btw. I'm thinking about doing the same to increase ground clearance...
            Thats the first time I heard that. I plan on running an E46m3 fuel pump and A/C as well. what is the interference, I am not sure how those two are connected.
            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Never mentioned anything about fueling in my post :up:

But I see where I screwed up my wording. I'll revise that!

Comment

Never mentioned anything about fueling in my post :up:

But I see where I screwed up my wording. I'll revise that!
                Ok I misread as well :) Made my nervous for a second.
                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

haha sorry to scare ya.

Comment

I need to take pics to show you guys the solutions my mechanic and I came up with. Sorry, pulled all the stuff out that he did to make room for wiring. Will do so after the wedding.

However, the Z4M water pump is shorter and will not interfere with the rad.

As far as the coolant overflow, "custom" silicone hoses to the stock location. Doesnt look as good as I would like, but its easy with the way my mechanic did it, and its effective and cheap IE off the shelf solution. Again pics to come.

Comment

Awesome. I'm not at that stage yet but I definitely want to be ahead of the curve as I start putting the motor back together... It's literally in pieces. Still need to bring the block over to the machine to get it checked and hot tanked... pistons need to be balanced etc etc.

Thank you!

Comment

Awesome. I'm not at that stage yet but I definitely want to be ahead of the curve as I start putting the motor back together... It's literally in pieces. Still need to bring the block over to the machine to get it checked and hot tanked... pistons need to be balanced etc etc.

Thank you!
                        You can also easily use the Z4M coolant pipe, its quite easy to connect it to a late model E30 coolant res.
                        My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

Comment

Originally posted by Loupoz View Post
                          You can also easily use the Z4M coolant pipe, its quite easy to connect it to a late model E30 coolant res.
                          The o/p does mention that it interferes with the power steering reservoir. I assume you have relocated yours?

I see the clearance is not bad... thats the Z4 pipe right?

Last edited by dude8383; 08-03-2018, 06:11 AM.

Comment

The o/p does mention that it interferes with the power steering reservoir. I assume you have relocated yours?

I see the clearance is not bad... thats the Z4 pipe right?

[img]http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh600/Loupoz/S54%20Exhaust%20completion%20-%20Wiring/P8100766Custom.jpg[/ig]
                            That is the Z4 pipe yeah
                            My 325I Mtech1 S54 Build

Comment

That looks like it works perfect man! I with it.

Comment

More done,
                                Just need to add the 3 wires for the Z3M S54 Cruise Control as its pretty plug and play minus the DME programming.

Wanted the gauges to be serviceable with unique plugs per gauge so it can't be plugged in wrong: Bavrest Cluster as seen in the first post, and George Graves Narrow and Wideband guages:
                                I used these connectors:click here
                                But would replace with these if doing over: click here

Comment

Working...
                                X