No announcement yet.

Building a e30 for the 24 hours of Lemons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 set of pads and rotors is fine.. Generally one set of tires is good enough but you def want to bring a full extra set. Reinforce any of the suspension you can, especially tie rods. Cut your fenders and quarters wheel opening bigger so when they get smashed in they wont interfere with your tires. Bring more than enough fuel.. Its not really 24hours, more like 15 split into two days. The big thing is to not be off the track for very much time, stay consistent and stay away from other cars as much as possible.

Inspiration... This was up here on the 1 mile road course.. averaged 58-60sec lap times for our car...

Last edited by sumyungguy; 02-22-2008, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Sumy great info..
      However now with the NO Nerf bar rule, isnt the damage to the cars a great deal lower?
      I know people were snapping Tie rods and bending struts. I wonder if that is not longer the case since the contact between cars has dropped. Plus they were black flagging cars at Thunderhill.

I will plan on bringing a complete a front subframe- with struts and steering rack. That way we dont have to take the parts off the car..

Comment

from what I understand...

The race will be 13 hours over 2 days.

the configuration we will be running at CMP, speeds won't exceed much over 90 mph. So no need for big brake kits. Stock rotors and some high performance pads will provide all the stopping power you'll need. It would be smart to have a couple of sets for the front and at least 1 extra set for the back.

Both BeerTech and Malt Liquor Tech will be fielding cars and several other Spec E30 guys have said they plan to build cars as well. I'd say at least 3-4 other e30's will be at CMP LeMons race.

It should be a great time.

Scott///M | 1988 325is | 2004 Z71 Suburban | 2003 325i

Comment

Sweet. out own $500 version of Spec e30..
          Yep I know AL from the Spec group is going to be there. I guess we will have to find you guys and follow you around the track for a while. Since you will have the home town advantage.

Good point about the brakes. I guess since we will be running street tires that also may be something to cosider RE overpowering the tires. They are cool brakes though..

Comment

I envy you guys, I wish I had the spare time and money for something like this. It should be a riot.
            Matt

sigpic

Comment

What's with the $500 rule., How is it enforced. It looks to me like there are a lot of $3000+ cars out there by the time all is said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by 1991 318is View Post
                What's with the $500 rule., How is it enforced. It looks to me like there are a lot of $3000+ cars out there by the time all is said and done.
                for all the answers... 24hoursoflemons.com

Comment

Would it be worth it try and get a cheap chip somewhere? With the short gearing it seems like maybe you could benefit from the higher redline...?
                  '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                  '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

Originally posted by Fidhle007 View Post
                    Would it be worth it try and get a cheap chip somewhere? With the short gearing it seems like maybe you could benefit from the higher redline...?
                    It could be.

Comment

For whatever my advice is worth, I think that using a short (4.10:1) diff on an e30 eta will be working against the engine's torque curve. That engine's torque curve shines between 1.5kRPM and 3.5kRPM (where it starts falling). Using a very short diff means it will always be outside of its sweet spot. Maybe a more conservative 3.25 is a better option, along wth a JC chip.

Lee
                      Last edited by Massive Lee; 02-25-2008, 08:21 PM.
                      Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

I was just out looking for the "sweet spot" on a ETA. And I think you are right RE getting out of the powerband.

We still have 5ish months to find a LSD .. we may just put the 410 in at morso to see what happens..

B

Comment

My own e30 M3 came stock with a 4.10 and it feels right as the engine revs happily up 7300 RPM. I even installed a 4.27 for more "kick" out of corners. On a regular 325, the lower 6800 RPM rev band doesn't feel as nice with a 4.10 as the engine start falling at 6000. I can't imagine that same diff with an engine that starts falling at 3250 RPM. You'll feel just like a big diesel tractor puller, except they have 12 gears...
                          Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Sweet, I'm on ecniv's team and will be running the Altamont and hopefully Vegas Lemons races. I was a driver on another team at the two Altamont races last year.

As some others said, big ass brakes really aren't needed, but bring spares. We plan to bring spares of just about everything. We decided to just run the stock bottlecaps for economical and availability reasons. With decent tires they should be plenty adequate.

I'm not sure what the SC track is like, but Altamont has a lot of sharp turns and hairpins where steep gearing works well. Top speed at that track is about 65-70.

I actually found this thread looking for cheap ways to gain front camber, so it'll be interesting to see what solutions are found.
                            The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                              My own e30 M3 came stock with a 4.10 and it feels right as the engine revs happily up 7300 RPM. I even installed a 4.27 for more "kick" out of corners. On a regular 325, the lower 6800 RPM rev band doesn't feel as nice with a 4.10 as the engine start falling at 6000. I can't imagine that same diff with an engine that starts falling at 3250 RPM. You'll feel just like a big diesel tractor puller, except they have 12 gears...
                              I agree. I posted 3.73 above but I think Lee has the right idea with 3.25/3.46 as the upper limit.

Comment

Lee,

I might have missed this. are brakes a safety item so they can be modded an unlimited amount?

ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook - Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X